Do you have a good appetite?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by MicheleK, Jan 15, 2013.

1. MicheleK

MicheleK Moderator

I am wondering if you all have a good appetite or if your appetite has been affected by your illness.

It seems I am rarely hungry. For the past five years my family and some close friend have commented on the fact that I need to eat more.

The problem is that I usually feel full or very shortly after I being eating feel that way. It makes it hard to eat enough to get proper nutrition.

I have Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome and have been told by my doctor that this is probably the cause.

So I wondered how many of you who do NOT have POTS also do not have an appetite. And how many who eat very little have gained weight? I know I have and it is maddenlng. But when I do eat more I lose weight. So I really need to be able to eat more.

I eat small amounts throughout the day.

Thanks,
    Michele
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Your gallbladder might be inflamed or you could very likely be deficient in hydrochloric acid.

Several years ago I had problems with appetite, and feeling very full after eating not that much. It felt like the food just sat there. My chiro found with muscle testing a couple of things - that I was deficient in hydrochloric acid and my gallbladder was inflamed. I think the low HCL directly contriubted to the gallbladder problem. I was not digesting my food properly and so I think it literally did just sit in my stomach for too long.

HCL helped both these conditions. Plus, A-F Betafood by Standard Process really helped my gallbladder work properly again.

It is extremely common for people with CFS to be deficient in HCL. Enzymes alone were not enough to fix my digestion - I still take HCL with heavy meals.

I also ended up doing a liver cleanse under the supervision of my chiro.

My digestion really was screwed up for quite awhile but it is quite good now and I will be eternally grateful to my chiro for this.

A simple test to see if you are deficient in HCL is this (originally posted by Richvank):

For those who haven't heard of the baking soda--burp test, it goes like this: On an empty stomach, drink a glass of water (about 8 oz.) into which you have mixed one-quarter teaspoon of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). See how long it takes you to burp. If you haven't burped in two minutes, your stomach acid production is low.

Another thing you might try is drinking some lemon juice in water. If it makes you burp, I think you are low in HCL. My neighbor was complaining the other day of an upset stomach 2 days after eating a heavy meal. I suggested she try sipping some lemon water and within a few minutes she burped. She kept sipping it and her stomach problems eased. The lemon juice helped her digest her food.

Mary
  3. Like you, Michele, I didn't have much of an appetite for many years until recently.... And yet, like you, over the last year, I was gaining weight! For years I would do good to eat half of a normal portion of food. And I would have to be reminded to eat because my body just never seemed to be hungry.

But lately, for some unknown reason, the pendulum has swung the other way and now I am suddenly hungry all of the time... It is so strange! And it makes it hard because I have so many food sensitivities and am so limited in what I can eat. And I don't have the energy to be creative and cook much anymore... But I don't know if I'll be as fortunate as you to lose weight as I eat more :-/ Wouldn't that be great, though?!:-D

Mary, thank you for that info... I had forgotten about that and may just need to try it! Sometimes I eat a meal and even with my enzymes it just feels like it's not digesting... It just sits there like a huge boulder in my stomach and makes me miserable. And what's interesting is that I just started putting lemon juice in my water again recently and have started to burp more and didn't understand why. So thank you for clearing that up for me! :)

Do we need a prescription for HCl or is that something we can get at our health food store? How much do you take, Mary? I'm assuming you take it with each meal, right?

Michele, I hope your appetite picks up.... Not as much as mine, though ;-) sounds like Mary has given you some good ideas/"food for thought" ;-). Hope you both continue with your improvements, Michele and Mary! God bless you!

Blessings and Gentle Hugs,
    Shel :)
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Hi Shel - like you, the enzymes alone were not enough for me. I've been taking Swanson brand hydrochloric acid with pepsin (it's not prescription) for several years now. Each capsule has 324 mg. HCL and 14 mg. pepsin. I take 2 before each meal. One doctor told me to take it up to 1/2 an hour before a meal. I thought it would hurt my stomach, but it doesn't.

He also told me to take enough so that I start to get an a "acidy" feeling in my stomach, and then to back down one capsule. At one time I was taking 3 before each meal, but do okay with 2 now. And sometimes I forget to take it, but my digestion is so much improved than before, I can get by. But I still need it a bit.

This is something regular docs don't ever seem to check and is so important. I have mild POTS too, but that has nothing to do with my appetite or digestion.

Also, since I've been taking HCL regularly, I have no more gallbladder problems. The are definitely connected! (also I eat a good diet, no fried foods, etc.)

You're funny, Shel - "food for thought" indeed!

Take care,

Mary
  5. MicheleK

MicheleK Moderator

Thanks Mary. I will try those drinks and see what results. I rarely have any upset stomach issues. I just don't have an appetite.

I really miss Rich.

Hugs, Michele
  6. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

but I eat all day, small portions...hardly even eat large meals, we americans eat too large a portion anyway...when I eat out I bring half home for the next day or even pick on the leftovers later that night.

I think what I would do sometimes if I were you, would be to make a nice healthy smoothie at home...in blender...

I would use coconut milk, unsweetened, whey protein, probably throw in an egg, keep it low in sugar but nutritious. Maybe add some green powders....just a thought. Some honey, maybe add some raisins...