Do you have a Pain Plan?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hope4today, Mar 12, 2006.

1. hope4today

hope4today New Member

Am just coming out of a severe two week flare brought on by not living quietly with a routine, a very bad period, the sudden death of a childhood friend who still was a significant part of my life and having to help sort out some treatment options for my CFS daughter.

When things didn't settle down on their own by the middle of this week I was laying in bed slipping into despair when I remembered my pain plan.

15 years ago I was part of an experimental group of FMS patients. Our doctor found funding to develop an 8 week program to help us learn to live with our illness. He had tried various combinations of self-help ideas and was refining them.

One of the lasting "take homes" was developing a pain plan, writing it out and posting it somewhere where other members of your household can access it and ask you if you are following it.

My kids were in elementary school back then, before their own syptoms appeared and would hold me to it as well. When Mom got cranky they knew what to do!

Of course the paper is no longer on the inside of the kitchen cabinet door but I did remind myself:

-Slow down don't try to push yourself through this

-Take pain medication every 4 hours until things settle down. set an alarm clock if necessary. Take the big gun medication you reserve for times such as this at bedtime for a new nights to get some better rest.

- Clean everything off your calendar and just rest. Let stuff go! In my case all I worry about is clean underwear and food we all can eat with our crazy allergies. (Take out just isn't an easy option!)

- Take time to read the comics every morning to find a giggle to start the day,

-Take time to pray for strength and courage to make it through the day,

-Eat a bit of chocolate every day! :) It just helps my brain work better when I'm in a bad state!

-Have a hot epsom salt bath and do 10 minutes of stretches 2-3 times a day,

So I got back on my plan and am starting to turn the corner. There are no easy answers...although I am still looking, reading and trying to learn...but we do have some control how we treat ourselves when we hit those really hard times.

DO any of you have a pain plan and what does it consist of?

Hope
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Hope:
    I like your list. I just joined an arthritis/fibromyalgia study out of the University of North Carolina and it is called 'Yes, I Can'. They will send it in the mail and it should be chock full of tips like you posted. Thanks for putting them up.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  3. wendywoo

wendywoo New Member

Being new to all this, I've never heard of a pain plan!! But what a wonderful idea! I'd never heard of "flares" either, but reading what you and others put, it all makes sense, and makes me feel less guilty for my flares! I'm sat here at the puter, with pain in my body, feeling really bad with myself coz I didn't have the energy to do the housework this weekend (trying to do the washing at the moment as well, coz I had a really bad flare this week after I heard that my dad has only possibly three/four years to live)..anyway, I feel really awful, but you've given me some great tips!! Not sure if I'm going to be able to make it to work tomorrow...

Anyway...thanks for the tips...I'm gonna get myself a pain plan!!

Bless you!!
    Wendy from England
  4. hope4today

hope4today New Member

Thanks for taking the time to add ideas...

Don't have too much frozen cooked food in the freezer right now...I call them my "frozen assets"...went on a trip to visit my mom last month and the family cleaned me out while I was gone...

Once I am better I will buy a huge package of ground beef and make a couple of meatloaves...they freeze really well, some meatballs...good in veggie soup...etc.

But for another day or two I'm working my way through a stack of library books.

Hope
  5. day2day

day2day Member

I like the idea of a pain plan, never even occured to me to think about one. Great food for thought.

I not only clear my calendar when I am bad, but when I make appoinments for my son's Dr.s and my Dr.s and P/T, I would not sign the notice that says cancelation without 24 notice you will be billed. I make them add a waiver stating that if I call them first thing in the morning due to my illness, I will not be charged. This takes some of the stress out of when I can't possibly drive. Believe it or not that is one of the best helps knowing I won't be billed. Some of his specilists cost over $150.00 a visit.

My big problem is grocery shopping, I can't have someone else to it for me because of my sons serious/lifethreating mulitple food allergies.....so my plan for that is , I have to make several small trips ( as hard as it is for me).

I don't have support really to speak of, but I do have a lady that comes to my house once a week to do stuff like the bathroom and my floors and vacuum. Not to pricey and worth the $.

I am also wondering what time of food allergies your family has. I know what you mean about take out, it would make life so much easier when your in a bad flair to have something delivered.

My son is almost 8 and is anaphalatic to milk, beef, pork products, and reacts badly to soy as well ( sometimes hard to tell if soy is false negative on test. He is also limited on eggs at this point.

How do you manage with kids who also have cfs, that has to be a very big challenge in addition to the food allergies you are dealing with.

Thanks for the advice:)

6. hope4today

hope4today New Member

It's tricky to know how to get all the really important stuff done with low energy and pain.

My heart goes out to you because it is harder when you have younger kids. I just couldn't go into the bedroom and close the door for a few hours back when my kids were young like yours. They are 23 +21.

Allergies...Son is only anaphalactic to nuts,peanuts, hydrologized vegetable products. The rest only make us very miserable so it's reading labels and mostly making everything from scratch. We all have different ones so it sometimes requires two kinds of pasta with one sauce ...the hardest part is always thinking about it as you plan meals.I try to plan a few days in advance.

Now my daughter bakes her own bread in the breadmaker even though she has CFS - she is able to do that. Cleaning is harder because it requires all of us to do a bit. I use the Flylady system for cleaning, organizing my life and keeping motivated when it all gets too much. It's a free online life coaching program...check it out. Just google Flylady!
  7. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I like that you have a plan and your plan has given me some good ideas.I am try to get me a plan worked up too.

Good idea.

Sheila
  8. hope4today

hope4today New Member

I get teased for being organized (most of the time ) but you hit the nail on the head. It helps so much to have a plan for family life as well as pain.

When the flares come and they inexplicably will, it is far less stressful when there is food in the cupboard and you don't absolutely have to go shopping. Or even better yet there are frozen cassaroles in the deep freeze!!!

Having a pain plan also keeps me from getting panicky in my foggy state. I know what my next steps are. Panic raises pain levels a lot.

Need to go have one of those epsom salt baths now and do my stretches my neck and shoulders feel like they are in a vise. (Improvement from last Thursday when my whole body felt like that!)

Hope
  9. day2day

day2day Member

needed a good laugh!!