Do you have a pillow you love?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TwinMa, Oct 30, 2005.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I'm about to go on another quest for the perfect pillow.

I probably have twenty pillows, and none are just right. I feel like Goldilocks. This one's too hard. This one's too soft. This one makes my ears hurt. Oh wait, Goldilocks didn't complain about her ears.

Has anyone found a great pillow that they just love?

Katy
  2. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

Hi Katy,
    I just use a regular pillow and when it gets lumpy, I get another one. My husband took over my memory foam one, I found it to be too hard. I'll check back to see if others have found great ones.
  3. bigmh

bigmh New Member

that I bought at Costco...around $30.00. It really supports my neck (which I have been more aware of a result of physical therapy). My therapist thought it would work well for me and it has. Good Luck! B
  4. Bambi

Bambi New Member

from QVC's Northern Nights collection. I put a non allergenic cover on it and I LOVE it. I can squish it to give firmness in the areas I need it. I use a foam on between my knees and thighs. I've always loved feather pillows and guess I always will. I like to put them in a narrow pillowcase that's long enough to keep the feathers tight. LOVE IT, LOVE IT!
  5. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

TwinMa ... I bought a "natura" perforated foam pillow that is a bit heavy and has body to it .. got one for the hubby too .. we have feather pillows as well .. and did that buck wheat ? pillow thing .. not too bad .... but this foam pillow seems to be the best one so far ( got it from the Sears catalog ) .. I did order a memory foam mattress topper .. I can only lay on my right side or my back .. and I can get stuck and sore in one position if too long .. it would be great to just melt into the mattress and not worry about aches and pains .. sigh !
    Good Luck
    Fudge : )
  6. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

A pillow I love? When I found a pillow that I was absolutely inlove with - I bought 21 more.

I sleep with all but 5 of them.

Honest.

I love 'em all!

~Amanda
  7. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

YES,I do!! I Love my Buckwheat Hull pillow and wouldn't use anything else. My Hubby has one and Loves it as much as I do !! They are Hypo-allergenic and stay in what ever postion that you put them in. I just empty it out once in a while and wash the case. On the net,you can buy them with zippers,so no sewing them back up.
    Shirley
  8. jabby

jabby New Member

I have always been a goose feather pillow lover! My GRNNY USED TO MAKE THEM FORME AND i USED THEM UNTIL THEY WERE DEAD.I ALSO USE NORTHERN NIGHT FROM QVC. I USE THERE SHEETS AND DOWN COMFORTER AND FEATHER BED. I GUARANTEE IF YOU TRY THEM YOU CANNOT BUT HELP LOVE THEM! THAT IS MY OWN PERSONAL JABBY GUARANTEE. LET US KNOW IF YOU TRY THEM.

JABBY
  9. rmc20021

rmc20021 New Member

but...have you seen those brightly colored kids pillows at walmart? they ones that are kinda squishy? I bought one and tied the end off so it would be tighter and firmer and I love it.
  10. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Got two new ones at Penney's recently since the other ones hubby got at another store went flat. They weren't solid foam ones. I also like to have a third pillow to wrap my arm around for some reason.

When I turn over, I always take that "arm" pillow with me and I must have it. A lot of times it will fall on the floor and I'll have to pick it up.

I have always been on the solid foam pillows since my mother thought it would help my allergies. So, now I'm so used to them I must still have them.

Used to be a solid foam pillow called Blue Heaven and I used that one until the store went out of business. Penney's doesn't have Blue Heaven, but I bought dust mite proof solid foams that were a bit higher in quality.

Hugs,
    Faye
  11. JLH

JLH New Member

Yes. I have had my down-filled feather pillow for 30 years and take it with me everywhere--to the hospital, when I used to go on business trips, etc. When I take it to the hospital with me, I always put a bright red pillow case on it so there is no chance that the nurses get it mixed up with the hospital's pillows!

I really don't know if it is down filled or what type of feathers--I only know that when I bought it 30 years ago, that it was super expensive--"supposed" to be the "best" feather pillow that you could buy.

I, like you, have bought every pillow on the market hoping to find one to replace it--because I know it won't last forever!! LOL

Every bed in our house has tons of pillows on it from all that I have purchased!! I can't find any that I like!!

I bought one of those buckwheat filled pillows--hated it!!!!!
  12. BethM

BethM New Member

My current favorite pillow is a Mediflow water base pillow. Someone here recommended it, I found it on Amazon.com, and I bought one.

It has a nice, good quality fiber-fill pillow on the top, with a compartment to fill with water on the bottom. Took me a couple of nights to figure out how much water to put in for my best comfort level.

I've enjoyed it so far, feel very comfy on it, sleep well with it. I've had it several weeks now. It's a bit heavy, but I haven't found that to be a problem.

If the 'space foam' pillows weren't so hot for me, I'd be using one of those, probably. I feel like I'm cooking on them. I can't tolerate many synthetic fibers.

Happy Halloween!

Peace,
    Beth.
  13. Jillian40

Jillian40 New Member

Hello -

After buying about 12 pillows, I tried my dad's
    foam pillow and can't sleep on any others now.

It is firm but soft. What I do is put it between
    my neck and shoulder, in the groove, and it gives
    me the perfect support.

Then when I sleep on my side, I wedge another regular
    pillow behind my back to keep me on my side without
    straining to stay in this position.

The combination is just right.

Good luck in your continued search.

Jillian
    P.S. I tried a horshoe shaped pillow once, in a store
    called "Relax the Back" store. It is almost 3/4 the
    length of the bed. It was pretty comfy, costs about
    $100, and provided support under the neck and also
    behind the back on the other side at the same time.
    Yes, if I can save up money, I am thinking about buying
    it. See, I do understand your search for the perfect
    pillow!
  14. Bambi

Bambi New Member

you might be up for a pillow change. I used a feather pillow for YEARS. I still use them. But that one seemed to be staying good, could still fluff up etc.. One day I washed it and put it in the drier and it broke open. I couldn't believe it, the feathers were busted down into a fine dusty sort of consistancy, even after the washing they were GRAY..it was totally DISGUSTO! They said on QVC that our pillows end up full of mites and dirt after just a few months, a year might be pushing it. Lots of the weight and fullness is that stuff. Try cutting a small corner and see what's in there maybe? I HATE giving up a LOVED pillow but that's a LONG time on a feather pillow. LOL!
    Hugs, Bambi
  15. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Thanks for all your input on pillows!

Loved the idea of a red pillow case to tell which one was yours!

I found one pillow that had real potential.

It is the Indulgence Supreme Pillow by Isotonic. I got it at Bed Bath & Beyond for around $40. It is a kind of "hybrid" pillow. It has a firm memory foam center and is surrounded by a synthetic simulated down on the outside. Firm in the middle and soft on the outside!

I find memory foam pillows too hard and too hot. This pillow was not too hot. Unfortunately, it was still a little too hard for me. The simu down made it much softer, but not quite soft enough for me. Almost had it!

I do think this would be a good pillow for many people. It seems like it has the best of both worlds--firm, yet soft!

QUESTION for all you down/feather pillow people:

Do you have any feather allergies? Do the hypo-allergenic pillows really keep you from having allergic reactions?

The search continues! I appreciate all your feedback!

Katy
  16. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I have a bolster shaped "squishy" pillow like the person above got from Walmart. I put that between my legs if I lay on my side and under my knees if I'm on my back.

I use a memory foam pillow for my head. I didn't like it at first because it was harder than I was used to. But I found when I slept on it I had less neck pain.

I have degenerative discs and arthritis spurs in my neck. My neck doesn't have a curve to it any more.

I have a really light weight fluffy pillow that I hold in my arms when I lay on my side, that keeps my shoulder from hurting.
  17. JLH

JLH New Member

I know I should give my pillow up, but I just can't!!!! It's like a baby's security blanket to me!! I can't another pillow that is as comfy!! LOL

During the summer's hot days, I always take the pillow protector and case off and hang it outside to air out and hope the sun's heat will kill some germs!! Ha Ha!!! When I take it in, it also smells fresher. In fact, the pillow doesn't smell at all - being that old and all! Maybe it's because I hang it outside often all during the year--except for the winter months.

Like I said, for years I've been buying new pillows, as well as ordering them off the net trying to find a replacement!! My pillow needs to be very thin so I can squish it up to sleep on.

I have many cervical problems that make it hard to find just the "right" pillow. They all either hurt my neck or I wake up with a headache! I just can't win!!

Some day I'll find a replacement!! I haven't given up searching yet!!!

P.S. I remember watching Oprah one day when she had a show on everything she liked -- like having fresh, clean sheet on her bed EVERY DAY that were about 600 thread count!! Anyway, on this show, some lady mentioned that her pillow was 30 years old, and Oprah just gasped and said ... Yuck!!!! But honestly, mine has always been well cared for with pillow protectors washed often, and then pillow cases over top of the protectors ... and as I said ... always aired out outside very often!