Do you have any bathing tips to help make it easier?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by meowee, Jan 5, 2009.

1. meowee

meowee New Member

Happy New Year. May it be a good one for you and yours.

I was wondering if you had any tips for bathing. I take a shower instead of bath, since it is much easier getting in and out. I do have trouble reaching my back and *personal* places. It is very difficult now that my arms hurt so badly. Also, I have thought of getting a seat for me and use it while showering.

When I get in the shower, I sometimes get a light headed feeling or a feeling of being disconnected. I am not sure what causes this but its really weird.

I have had bars installed to hold onto, which do help.

I would appreciate and tips from you.

Thank you, hugs and GOD BLESS.
  2. dannybex

dannybex Member

...sounds like a really good idea, especially if you feel a little light headed at times.

I bought one of those loofa sponges on a "stick" to reach my back, but the thing has started to get a little moldy looking(!), so I'm not going to use that anymore.

If you can turn the water up higher, and just let the shower jets hit your back better you might at least be able to make sure your back is rinsed well.

Hope this helps,

3. goofgirl

goofgirl New Member

I was just thinking the light headedness could be a drop in blood pressure due to the hot water temperature of the shower. It's happened to me too, with dizziness. The only other tip I can think of for you is to get a back brush with a long handle; that might help with reaching. It's not easy when your arms hurt like that! Hope you figure out some things that will help you.

Take care!
  4. tut90

tut90 Member

I've had this problem at times. I'm thinking on buying a chair for the shower. One that I'm considering is called, spacesaver foldable bath bench, it goes for $49.95 at I'm trying to find it for less somewhere else.

5. meowee

meowee New Member

Thanks so much for the tips.

I have a bath tub and also a shower stall. I use the stall always. It is easier to get in and out as you can just step into like you would a closet.

I am going to check out the seats and a long handle brush.

You guys are great.

Hugs and love to you.

God bless xoxox
  6. meowee

meowee New Member

I found the seat for 41.00 at this link.
  7. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

6 months now. Love it! Make sure you get one that is made for the tub/shower so it has good anchoring feet.

I had a very bad fall the end of July where I was taking a shower in the tub, and slipped & flipped out of the shower (just a shower curtain) & twisted my back too. Has cost me a lot in time off work and medical bills.

Sometimes I do take a bath with ebsom salts, but when I'm ready to rinse off, my hubby brings me the shower chair and I use that to continue to rinse off and wash my hair.
  8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I was going to suggest a chair as well. I don't know how the heck you wash your hair in a bathtub. =)

After Mom's surgery we used a shower chair, also bought a nice long hand held shower massage.
    Both helped immensely.

We always hung a towel over the top of the shower, then would put it on the floor of the shower before she got out so she had some traction and wouldn't slip. Even putting a towel under the chair helped.

Our shower has a bench in it, but I never sit on it cause I have to be directly under the water all the time or I'm freezing!!!
  9. sickofCFIDS

sickofCFIDS New Member

work best for me!! I've tried the chair and unfortunately, that only made it worse for me. By the time that I was done trying to "balance" myself for all that time, I wound up hurting worse than I did before I got in.

I do not have the strength to stand long enough to actually clean my body, wash my hair, condition my hair, shave, etc........ That is all just "out of the question" for my abilities; however, I did find that the long hose that connects to the tub faucet has worked wonders for me!!

I am still able to take a complete bath now, and still get rinsed off as well as I need to!! I have very long hair (down past my butt) also, and that was quite a challenge prior to getting the hose. Thank Creator that I have an extremely "patient" husband... hehehehehe..... otherwise, I don't know how we would have done this for all these years!!

I hope that this may possibly help someone else who does not have the strength to actually stand long enough for a shower......... as I said, it was a God-send for me! We had the hardest time before I found that hose, it was ridiculous!!

I "thought" that I posted yesterday, but apparently I didn't, or something happened?? I don't know......... I've just come back to this site for the first time in a very long time....

Good Luck..... Hope this helps someone!!
  10. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I've used a shower bench for years and loved it! Lately though, I'd been having trouble getting back up again, once I sat down. So I purchased the higher chair with a back and though I like it, it's much wobblier than the bench so I don't feel completely safe from a fall.

In addition to using the hand-held shower, the bath chair, and the handles on the tub & wall, it helps to put on a long, terry-cloth bathrobe immediately after coming out of the shower. Rather than having to bend and stretch with towels to dry myself, the absorbant robe does a the job well. On my head I use a turban-style wrap (long hair) and so between that and the robe, I often bypass using bathtowels (cuts down on laundry, as well).

God bless,