do you have to sleep alot?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by homesheba, Sep 9, 2006.

1. homesheba

homesheba New Member

it seems like lately i am in bed about 4-5 pm -
    sometimes wvwn earlier!!!
    do you think that is part of ahealing process??
    would that help to heal the brain lesions ?
    it seems tho that
    i am always weak and tired-
    even when i wake up.
    i guess this is normal tho for us?
  2. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

I think that the key issue is not necessarily how many hours we sleep, it’s how much restorative sleep we get. I know that is true for me personally. Here is a quote from a book I read recently.

From “The Fibromyalgia Advocate” by Devin J. Starlanyl MD:
    “Lack of restorative sleep is a major perpetuating factor that must be addressed as soon as possible, because the lack itself brings more muscular aches and even more symptoms to compound our miseries. Too many of us spend too many waking hours in the horizontal state, because of fatigue and inadequate pain control.”

Hope this helps,
    Kat
  3. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

In the beginning of my CFS, I was in bed sleeping most of the time.

I didn't know enough to request a sleep study, and I guess my doctors didn't know enough to order one.

Along with CFS I have 3 sleep orders. RLS, insomnia and sleep apnea.

Now that I'm being treated for these, I still sleep about 10 hours a night, and when I start to crash, I need more plus naps in the daytime.

If you haven't had a sleep study. you need to get one. Everyone that has CFS has at least on sleep disorder.

Wishing you the best,
    Barb
  4. TerryS

TerryS Member

If I'm having a bad week, I may sleep 12 hours or more.

TerryS
  5. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

Most daysi wake up at 5 am then at 10 I eat lunch and take a nap then around 4-5 have another 1/2 hour nap. don't know if it is right or not but i fall asleep weather i want to or not.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/10/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/10/2006]
  6. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

Yes, I find that I have to sleep more than 8 hours. However, the funny part is, even if I sleep 4 hours or 12+ hours, I still feel exactly the same. So I'm not sure if I'm doing myself any good by allowing myself the extra rest. Either way, it still takes me 2 to 3 hours to start feeling like I can function. And then, I still need my mid-afternoon nap. The days that I don't get my mid-afternoon nap, I end up in bed by 6:30pm - 7pm.

I think it's normal for us though. Do you have FMS or CFS/ME? I have CFS/ME, and this has been a problem for me since falling ill with mono 9 and a half years ago.

Gentle healing hugs,
    Kim
  7. jake123

jake123 New Member

I usually come home and take a nap from 1-3 hours. It annoys me that I need to do this because I would really prefer shopping.
    It isn't my job that wears me out so much because I nap on the weekend too. My doctor told me one time that it boosts my immune system and decreases pain.
  8. homesheba

homesheba New Member

with the fibro and cf i feel excactly the same when i get up...
    i always go to bed hoping i will feel better but i never ever do,
    its like a big waste of time.. i hate to sleep.
  9. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I do sleep alot. Sometimes 12-14 hours a day. I used to be where I couldn't sleep at all and would go 2 and 3 days with no sleep so I am not complaining about sleeping too much.

There are times in the day when I just NEED to sleep too and have to go to bed or easy chair right then.

I still have problems falling asleep so my sleep schedule is all weird but I do sleep a fair amount.
  10. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

I guess it depends on what one calls "a lot."

When I'm so tired I can stumble over NOTHING, it's time to put the tired old bod to bed.

Blessings on some stuff I just heard about and have been using to very good effect...it's called Melatonin and can be bought over the counter...I've finally after decades of being exhausted started getting REST in addition to sleep.

Everybody's different, and you might need "a lot" of sleep in some nights or weeks of nights, then not need quite so much.

Lea.
  11. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

once i actually can fall asleep, which sometimes i really hard, i can easily sleep for 12hrs or more. i thing it's just another fun part of this dd.
    rachel

[ advertisement ]