Do you have upper butt pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JPach007, Dec 15, 2005.

1. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

Ok...The icon helps me explain this! Do any of you have an extreme tightness/ache in your upper butt muscles? I thought I was just way out of shape, but I wonder if this is part of the Fibro. A good test for this is to lay on your back, put your right foot just above your left knee, then try to pull your left knee to your chest with your shoulders still on the ground. Can anyone do this without extreme tightness and pain?
    JPach
  2. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Did you mean to say "put your right foot above your left knee and try to pull your right knee toward your chest?"

Actually I do that and pull it toward the left side of my chest. Gently...and I do 5-10 repetitions on each side, It stretches out those muscles and provides some relief. But gosh yes it hurts like crazy until it gets stretched out.

I wake up at night huring in my hips and lower back and have to do that stretch or it hurts too bad to sleep.

Have you had physical therapy, they can give you other stretches that will help that area.

Of course a massage feels great, and nothing relaxes my muscles like a hot tub.
  3. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

I do have the stretch correct...You hold on to the back of your left knee. I can understand how the folks in my Gentle Yoga class can do it, but my husband can even do it! My Chiro said if you have groin pain mostly when this stretch is done, Bursitis may be in the picture. If it is your butt muscles and lower back, it is something else. I need to find out what that "something else" is!
    JPach
  4. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

Yep. That is one of my worst areas, including tailbone and lower back and hip issue. Always tense, always hurting. Before I saw a Physical Therapist, I couldn't even bend over because it was so bad. But the PT helped me stretch it back out enough so I could atleast be functional. Very annoying, but I've learned to live with that one, unfortunately. I think it's one of the areas that will never completely heal.

hugs
    shananegans
  5. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I think the "something else" is fibro - yuck.

I have had the lower back, tailbone, butt, down the leg pain for the past 7 years as well. The only thing I have found that helps is the stretching as well. It hurts like the dickens but eventually it helps.

I have done the same stretches as above - I also lay on my back - bring my knees up a bit with my feet on the floor and move your knees from side to side. Hold them on each side for a few seconds. The PT said it helps stretch out the lower back - hip areas.

Hope you get some relief!

Kelly
  6. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

If you look at a fibro tender point chart, the type that shows the body front and back and puts the dots where the tender points are, you'll see this area has 2 of the 18 tp's.

This was a huge problem area for me for years. Not so much anymore, but just so happens that it was bothering me yesterday. So I did some funky stretches to try and loosen them up. By funky I mean gently moving in whatever direction seemed to work, flailing my limbs around.

What works best though is circular massage w/ the palm of your hand. Start mostly around the sore area and just gently rub over the sore area until it's loosened up enough to rub directly. If you can get someone else to do it, great, but you'll have to give them real specific directions so they don't hurt you.

Anytime I have a sore area, my back/tailbone area/shoulders are biggies, I've noticed it's best to do an indirect massage around the worst area, and just super gently rub over the sore part until everything is warmed up and loosened. I'm sure you know the feeling where sure could use a massage, but you can barely be touched.

Jeanne
  7. XKathiX

XKathiX New Member

Is my biggest problem! Most of my pain is in my behind and it's not fun!

I can sympathize.....
  8. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

butt seriously i do have buttock pain i have periformis syndrome so thatis really fun to have....on top of the back spine stuff...

i used to be able to do my splits anyway and legs behind my headed thos days are gone now....

starting physical therapy soon again ...

jodie
  9. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

It could also be the piriformis muscle which lies below the gluteals. You can search this site for more information and go to www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/piri.html
  10. cczub

cczub New Member

I have constant pain in my lower back, hips, and butt... I'm constantly stretching to try to keep it loose or it totally freezes up and hurts like hell. At the wake for my wife's grandpa I couldn't sit down otherwise I couldn't get back up. Everyone was asking me if I was ok cause I looked uncomfortable and was always in the back of the room just trying to stay loose...

That's my main problem in the morning painwise. Most nights I'm up in the middle of the night putting the heat pad on my lower back and at least 3 times a week in the morning before getting up... I'm 27 years old but if you look at me in the morning I walk around like a 70 year old man!!! Bent over and doing the shuffle to get to the bathroom...
  11. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

My Physical Therapist very much recommended funky stretching. Just start your body moving and let it go however it wants. She said it would ‘unwind’ some of the myofascial constrictions. You can to is lying down, sitting, or standing up. It is a very good thing to do from time to time while sitting at the computer, as well as when you get into bed at night and before you get up in the morning.
  12. maripat

maripat New Member

Sometimes my fanny goes into spasms but most of the time it is only cramps. I have found the following helpful:
    hot tubs
    stretching
    swimming and aqua excersises/therapy pool 94 degrees)
    massage
    cranial sacrial therapy
    The trick to this dd is finding the right combonation of meds and activities, just when you think you have a handle on it wham something new pops up.
    So sorry , hope these ideas help
    maripat
  13. maripat

maripat New Member

Sometimes my fanny goes into spasms but most of the time it is only cramps. I have found the following helpful:
    hot tubs
    stretching
    swimming and aqua excersises/therapy pool 94 degrees)
    massage
    cranial sacrial therapy
    The trick to this dd is finding the right combonation of meds and activities, just when you think you have a handle on it wham something new pops up.
    So sorry , hope these ideas help
    maripat