Do you keep your Christmas cards?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TwinMa, Feb 3, 2007.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

To keep them or toss them - that is the question.

I have kept years worth of Christmas cards. I have a large box full of them. Being the anal person that I am, they are sorted by year. I used to have them rubber banded together, but the rubber bands started to disintegrate. So now I have them in ziploc bags by year. I know, I know...

I do enjoy going through them every once in awhile. It makes me smile to remember who was in my life at any given year. And to see what that person was doing.

But they are starting to take over. I'm thinking it is time to start tossing some.

Do you keep yours? For how long? What about the Xmas letters? What about the pictures? If so, how do you organize them? Thanks!
  2. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

Clutter, clutter, clutter. Our lives get so full of it. Years and years ago, I decided enough was enough. I wait for a month after Christmas, reread them, and then toss them. If you have little ones, they LOVE to cut out the pictures - then toss them. Pictures, of course, are different. However, you have to do SOMETHING with them. Get a photo album and call it Christmas photos or if they are family put them with the rest of your pictures.
  3. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I hear you about clutter. That is exactly what I am trying to do. De-Clutter! I have way too much of it around my house, and I need more room to breathe!

I love the idea of putting the pictures into a separate "Christmas" album. Thanks!
  4. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

Over the years, people have put a lot of work into making cards (some do needlepoint or petipoint pictures) photos, artistic designs. I saved those, but I bought on of those picture frames where you can put a collage of pictures and that is my Christmas Picture. I love it. Just couldn't throw those out.

I got rid of the clutter (although I was never one to save much anyway) when we moved out of our house. Just makes life so much easier. I hate looking at stuff I don't need or want. The problem is that you have to DO something with all of it. Either pack it away, in which case, you might as well get rid of it, or display it, then you have to dust and clean it all. So, I pick the stuff I really like and gave a lot to my kids. I miss nothing.

People give us gifts all the time, but I don't think they mean you have to keep it forever. When I give a gift, I hope they enjoy it for the here and now and then let it move on. Regifting has become a "big" thing in the past few years.
  5. llama

llama New Member

I feel bad just throwing them away. Right now I have about the last 3 years worth. I'm tempted to go through them and discard the ones (I hate to say this) that don't really mean that much to some people from work, neighbors etc.

I'll definitely keep ones that have a nice hand written sentiment or from a relative or two who have since passed.

I understand about clutter...I find that it greatly increases my anxiety!

Good Post............Jill............
  6. mary124

mary124 New Member

I use to save them and give them to some organization but now I just toss them when I take the decorations down. Just too much stuff to save.
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

the ones I really like from each year are all in a drawer along with the ones I've sent over the years... there's not that many, lol, I'm pretty discriminating!

But this way, if I don't have energy when Christmas comes around, I use a hole puncher to punch a hole, and hang them up as ornaments on the tree! It look really nice, very old-fashioned yet fun...

So I guess I could say I recycle them?! as I have done this probably 3 outta 5 years recently... and hey, they're easier to store than real ornaments actually!

And the number I receive/send have diminished over the years thankfully since my husband was disabled/not in business anymore.

The only problem is that I wasn't able to send cards this past year at all, plus we changed our address as have others and I have a hard time keeping that up; & so I know the number is diminishing year by year.

My not sending this past Christmas for the very first time will probably take us off everybody's list; So I suppose I'll have to send them the day after Thanksgiving in order to get any at all now, LOL!

PS: the collage picture idea sounds really nice! Just gave me the idea of cutting a Xmas tree shape out of styrofoam or even just posterboard (pieced together if necessary);

And making a tree collage with all of them on it... could even substitute for putting up a tree LOL;

hmmmmmmmmmm could add some old junk costume jewelry I've saved, too.............. LOL my ideas outrun my energy tho!

[This Message was Edited on 02/08/2007]