Do you know the words to hymns??? I don't

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by Asatrump, May 31, 2006.

1. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

Thanks to those of you who have asked me to play hymns. It is becoming more and more a special form of prayer for me.

I realize that in 40 years of being a church organist, I never sang and barely realized the words. I was concentrating on playing the hymn through first, establising the tempo, then trying to just keep track of which verse was being sung so I didn't play one too many or one too few.

Now that I am playing things at your requests, I am able to see the words. It is enlightening.

Thank you all.
  2. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

How about "What a friend we have in Jesus"

I always liked that one.

May God bless you.
  3. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Hi asa,

It's so strange that you posted this because this morning, I was watching, yes, The Waltons. I know, it's an old show but I like it. Anyway for a few minutes, they were in church and singing the hymn "Leaning On The Everlasting Life", I think that was the name, been years since I heard it. Anyway, I remembered it from going to church with my Great Great Aunt and singing that hymn. I am a musician, but do not play anymore and never read music but just played by ear so maybe that's whey I remembered it. I did remember the words to some of the chorus.

God Bless You,

BlueSky555
  4. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

I played What a Friend for Morning and Leaning on the Everlasting for bluesky.
    hmmn you need to keep asking for more as I played a big fat clinker in Everlasting, missing a d flat. Not working my brain has turned to mush.
    I stopped in about 1995 but for many years I went to as many as 8 nursing homes a month playing old tunes for old folks. I used to say now kids; I would make them sometimes name that tune.
    The most remarkable place I did was a builing where all people had dementia and Alzheimers. I thought oh boy, how will this go? I had snippets of conversation with a few people before I began, I asked one woman if she had children, she didn't know. But, once we started singing, they remembered words. Not a soul in the place who couldn't finish the line "by the light of the ---------"
  5. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

I liked What a friend we have in Jesus. And one that went:"holy,holy,holy,merciful and mighty, God in three persons, blessed trinity...."~Does anyone know wwhat that one is called???? ~Stacey
  6. dejovu

dejovu New Member

I played piano for many years. And one thing that would always astound me is the combination of powerful lyrics with powerful music.

I think Morn'in mentioned that How Great Thou Are is may favorite hymm. It has the most powerful lyrics and it flows in to the music and the person playing it can't help but be carried along.

There are so many beautiful pieces of music, I miss playing them so much. There is a large church not far from here and the other day at 12:00 the bells chimed Ave Maria. It was absolutly wonderful. Many blessings to you today. De
    [This Message was Edited on 06/01/2006]
  7. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Thank you for playing the song for me and don't worry; I didn't hear that note, lol!

Here are a couple that I also enjoyed:

"Just As I Am"
    "Amazing Grace"

I saw "What A Friend We Have In Jesus" several times and I think that's a favorite of many.

Thank you and God Bless You,

BlueSky555
  8. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

bluesky.. the piano is right here, will play the three you mentioned. Have a good weekend.
  9. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Amazing Grace

How Great Thou Are

Just As I am

Jesus Loves Me.... for the simplicity

Hugs,

Kim
  10. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

Thank you! Now I can sing that verse over and over to my lil doggy all day!!!! "Holy,holy,holy............"
  11. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

right now, but I will be home tomorrow night and will go all through this thread and spend some time at the piano. Like I said, it keeps my brain in semi function mode, especially when I hit one the other day that had five flats. The hymns are wonderful. When I play them I feel something special.
  12. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Thank you so much asa, for playing those hymns. I hope you are having a good weekend and will read when you get back.

God Bless You,

BlueSky555
  13. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

I have a computer at camp and at home. I am on line several times a day. I would need to be more than half dead before I gave up my friends and support.

Any time anyone wants me to play a particular hymn, just write asatrump in the topic line and I won't miss it for sure.

Blessings to all.
  14. jinlee

jinlee Member

I have been watching the movie "Love comes softly" and actually cry every time I see it. The song through the whole movie is "Come Thou Fount." I had never really lisened to all the verses before and they are awesome and so true, especially if you really take them to heart.

If you have the time to play this, thanks. I will know you will get a blessing from the words also.

Fibrosistah in Christ, Jinlee.