Do you know why my nails are turning a dark pink color?What does it mean?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by keke466, Feb 1, 2011.

1. keke466

keke466 New Member

At least 6 of my fingernails are a dark pink. They have been this way for awhile now. I haven't used nail polish in a long time. I have FM and I think I have CFS also. I have some thyroid issues,was DX with a goiter but can't see the endo again because I lost my insurance. My nails are in terrible condition. They're brittle,break easily,split and crack. I use to have hard long nails.

Was wandering if any of you have any ideas abt this or if you've had this issue?
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Member

Have you talked to your doctor about this? I did a quick search, and depending on who you read, they have different interpretations. For pink nails, one site says cihrosis of the liver, another says kidney disease. As to your nails being brittle, break easily, split and crack. One site says thyroid problem, another says nutritional deficiency.
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Member

But can a doctor truly detect undiagnosed heart disease or kidney problems by looking at your nails? American College of Physicians spokeswoman Christine Laine, MD, MPH, says it's not likely. She doesn't dispute the connection between nails and disease, but she cautions, "Nail changes are rarely the first clue of serious illness. In most instances, patients will manifest other signs or symptoms of disease before nail changes become evident. For example, it would be unusual that nail clubbing was the first thing a patient with emphysema noticed. Breathing difficulty probably would have been present already."