Do you live in nightwear

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shazzy, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Hi All,

I got this support worker who says i should be getting dressed every day and pushing myself to get out. She reckons i make myself feel ill by not doing these things and it is also is the cause of my anxiety.

Is there anybody else out there not getting dressed and going out?

If i do what she reckons will it make me feel better or worse? I have servere CFS and anxiety
    Shazzy
  2. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

This is what I do, I wear dress's all day and then I wear Nightgowns, that also look like Dress's on the day's when I don't think I'll go anywhere, but someone might come to the door. So I don't want to look like I'm in my nighty.

I get my day dress's at Ross (for less& on sale of course)
    or at a Thrifth Store that carries nice dress's that have been washed enough to be soft to the skin.

I can't wear Tight clothes, and untill I started wearing dress's, long ones, I would Hurt all the time, with Gas and IBS Pain. It also fires up a Trigger Point in my Abdomen from Gallbladder surgery.

Plus I found it just as easy to slip on a Dress as a nightgown, and if it's a nice day, I just put on my dark glasses and put my hair back in one of thoes Hair clips, great invention, and away I go. That's just out side here at my Home. When I go to the Store, I actually put on Makeup, lol. One thing leads to another, you know.
    Start slow, get some long dress's, and try that and see if it dosen't change your wanting to go outside. Even just to sit on the Porch is nice, If you live in a Warm area that is, lol, I'm in Ca., so I'm Blessed to be able to sit out side once in awhile in the a.m's. By afternoon tho, I have to stay inside, due to the Crap in the Air.

Anyway, good luck to you, I know the feeling of Not wanting to do anything, but I think if you Push your Little voice, that say's you don't want to, aside for a few minutes and put on a dress, it could lead you to a more active life. Sounds Crazy, I know, but some of the things that we do in life, to help ourselves relieve Stress, aren't always the Big thing, it's the smaller steps that get you out the door.

Some cannot, I know this also, I have been here a long time and I have seen a lot of Folks with these dd's improve, by doing what works for them. So I hope you will get to that level also.
    Pretty Dress's, and if you sleep in them during the day, so what? I do that too. ;o)
    Sincerely
    kredca4/sharon

If you tell me you can't get out to buy you a dress, I'll mail you one, I have all kind's of size's, I went from a 1x to a 8 in a few month's, and I kept the Nicer clothes, just in case, been six years and I'm getting ready to unload some clothes at a yard sale. SO if you can't get out, I would love to send you even one, just to try.

Shirl and Mikie have known me since they joined the board, so I could give them my address, or you could give them your's. Don't post it here tho, ;o>[This Message was Edited on 03/31/2003]
  3. jeniwren

jeniwren New Member

Hi Shazzy,

I do!!! Well most of the time anyway. Also wear track pants and wear loose cotton pants in the summer. I do dress "normaly" to go out, but I'm back into my Pj's as soon as possible. I have FMS and arthritis in my lower back, so conventional clothing hurts or becomes uncomfortable very quickly. I never wear skirts and dresses only rarely. I need to have as much control over my movements as possible...don't seem to be able to move about as freely in a dress...so I wear pants.

Jeni
    [This Message was Edited on 03/31/2003]
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

I love to wear those long, full lounge-type dresses. Well, I call them dresses, but I guess they are really housecoats! I only wear them all day if I know I won't be going outside or if I don't expect company. I have to get dressed on all weekends because my adult children and grandchildren always visit. I know my huband gets tired of seeing me in the same thing, and often suggests that I get dressed because it may make me feel better, but I, too, hate clothes touching my skin. My skin hurts all over and the looser the clothes, the better!
  5. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

You sound like me, that's why I get the Dress's at a Thrift store, a good one some aren't tho.
    I too cannot stand for anything to touch my skin sometimes, I go without underwear, so I make sure that the dresses that I wear around the house aren't see through. Hubby say's I have to wear undies when I go out, lol, but I have been know to Forget them.
    Do you skip the skivvies also, except for the weekends?
    me too.
    Sharon
  6. bejo

bejo New Member

I get dressed every day.That's not to say I dress up,in the winter I usually wear sweats.I know people who don't get dressed until late or not at all.I think it's just kind of a personal preference.I've always just gotten dressed and after so many years of it I feel naked if I don't.I am a creature of habit in all things,I think this is just sonething I'm in the habit of doing. LOL bejo
  7. Jaden

Jaden New Member

I am sure it drives my dh crazy. Might be the reason that he doesn't seem to interested in the intamacy.

I am a stay at home mom of a very active 3 yr old daughter. Up until recently she had many needs, for a disability but is now well on the road to recovery.

I too find tight clothes painful to wear. I live in sweats, sweat shirts and t-shirts or night shirts with sweats. I can't handle wearing a bra so I don't like to go out much.

I have very little energy most days, and do well just to get my daughter dressed, the dishes done and make supper. I do go out on Sat and 1-2 other days a week as my daughter has a therapy play class and next week starts gymnastics. As soon as I get home I change back to my sweats.
    It doesn't help that I have gained a lot of weight in the past yr. I feel like I am in such a slump these days. I just don't see the point. I do well to shower.

I know come summer time I will get dressed more often and go out daily as I love being outside in the summer.

So you are not alone!!

Joanne
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

No, I keep on my undies!!! LOL

But, that's only because I have a BBB (big beautiful body!!!) LOL

By being "full figured", if I don't wear undies, the skin under my boobs and stomach become too moist, and then I get a rash (yeast-type) that I have to fight for weeks to get cleared up. Hate that rash. I always wear cotton underwear so it is more absorbant for the moistness. However, if I could go without the bra, I certainly would!!!
  9. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I used to be very heavy set a few years ago, and i too got that horrible rash. I have 3 sister's who are all heavy set, and we all have FMS.

They use, and I still do, even with my littler ones, they still sweat, anyway we use Cornstarch, just put a little on, after you shower, dry off first of course, but with the skin just slighty damp. This is something that all the women in my Family have used, I remember Greatgrandma and Grandma doing this too. I suppect they also had FMS, I have been doing some Family History and the Memories bring the FMS to mind.

If you don't already have something that works, try that, and if you do have something that works, please share. They do take advise I get from my Message Board's, but not from not me, lol.
    sharon
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

I had a gyn doc years ago suggest to me about using the cornstarch. He said it was pretty cheap and worked. I use it or the Johnson & Johnson's Pure Baby Cornstarch Powder all the time.

I went to a dermatologist a few weeks ago. She told me to get an antifungal powder called "Zeasorb-AF". It's now over-the-counter, but she said I may have to ask the pharmacist about it. She also prescribed two creams: "Sectazole Cream" and "Elidel Cream" to use.

I have been using Nystatin Cream and have tried Lidex cream. She told me the Lidex was too strong and not to use it any longer. I have also tried Lotrimin cream and Lotrimin powder which are both over-the-counter. She said they were good, but gave me scripts for this new stuff to try.

I can go for ages w/o the rash, but when I get it, it takes FOREVER to get rid of. My skin will also peel off in layers. I think part of the skin problem is from my Lupus.

But I agree with you, an inexpensive box of regular cornstarch will also do the trick!
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It feeds fungi.

Love, Mikie
  12. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

I'll add my little note in case no one has read it before.

I also wear nightgown and robe all the time. I have not been able to find anything else as comfortable to wear around house and very few people come here so it's worked so far. I also have some REALLY ugly loose fitting shorts I wear on the nice days. I haven't felt like shopping much but when I go I cannot find anything comfortable looking.

Cannot stand anything touching right side from waist down to toes. Had that problem before I got "sick" but now it's so bad I couldn't work under any circumstances. That's why I'm trying for SSDI but doubt I'll ever get it.

Anyway - I loved all of your stories and it just made me feel so "at home."

I can get dressed "normally" for a few hours but usually wear a dress or long skirt as I cannot wear pantyhose now for a long time. I cannot even wear underwear - they hurt me so bad I cry. I have tried every possible kind. My drawer is full of all types and styles.

Whatever happened to the good old days. I used to love getting fixed up, dressed up and going - anywhere. I try not to let myself feel bad about it but I think the lady who has all different sized dresses and was willing to send one to Shazzy is a very nice person.

I wish you all the best - where else could I go to find someone who can identify with this type of problem? I don't know what the doctor/lawyer thought when I told them this.

Love
    Pam
  13. LindaLoonyTunes

LindaLoonyTunes New Member

the time I get home from work till the next day when I go back! (unless of course I ABSOLUTELY have to do something in the evening). On Friday I generally put the PJs on and stay in them till Monday Morning! Spend my weekends trying to rest up for the next week.

No wonder the weeks fly by! Its work, sleep and sleep somemore!
  14. marta

marta New Member

I find that in order to feel half way human, I must try to do the shower, hair and makeup routine even if it's a very basic routine. Sometimes I take a bath when I'm too weary or in too much pain to stand in the shower. Sometimes I skip the bath or shower all together but not often, and even then, on goes some make up and minimal casual clothing.

I really do feel worse when I don't make the effort. If I look sick I feel sick(er).

Marta
    [This Message was Edited on 04/01/2003]
  15. JP

JP New Member

I spend most of my time in sweats and lose fitting cotton clothing. My pain condition worsens with 'real' clothes. I do get out some...not much. I have zero tolerance for stress these days. I guess you could say I have anxiety too...the doc says that's what I experience. Anyway...I say be comfortable and go for the best quality life possible. Sometimes I feel good when I get out and run an errand...I need to push myself, each time. I also do the same with walking for exercise. If I am in regular jeans for more than a few hours, it increases my disc and muscle pain and makes walking for a little exercise almost impossible for a few days.

You can always try some of her suggestions if it feels okay or right for you. I sure don't have the answers.

Take care,
    Jan
  16. gardengrow

gardengrow New Member

On days I am feeling up to it I do get dressed and go out for a bit. If I am not up to it and force myself it sets me back and I end up with even more fatigue. Most of the time I am in sweat pants and a short sleeve cotton top. I am uncomfortable in anything tight. Its easy for someone else to say get moving and get dressed -you'll feel better. But when you have CFs the fatigue keeps you too unmotivated and tired. You have to do what you are able to. It sure doesnt seem to help me to force myself to do more than I feel I am up for. Sometimes I have to do alot in the day with my kids activities and such and I pay for it for a few days afterward. Maybe you can compromise and just plan on a bit of makeup or something that will make yourself feel better esteem wise. Just my rambling thoughts!

Gardengrow
  17. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

Then how come the Cornstarch works? My family has been using this for years, guess we didn't know what we were doing, but it worked anyway.
    I'll tell my Sis not to use somthing that is working for her, after all, I'm always giving her advise I get from the board, lol.
    sharon
  18. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Thank you all for these replys.
    It seems that most of you get dressed. I havent dressed in months. As i dont go out anywhere and feel very ill i spend most of my time laying on my bed. Guess i got so used to it now, getting dressed feels like i am saying i am well when i am not. However, i think i should try now the nicer weather is here.

Shazzy
  19. GoDaleJr

GoDaleJr New Member

Shazzy,
    i'd say Screw that support worker for telling you what you SHOULD be doing. I HATE THAT!! My roommate is always telling me what i SHOULD be doing. I say screw him!
    All last year I lived in either sweats or boxers and tank tops. I live on an acre and have to feed the horses twice a day. Do you think I cared what my neighbors saw me wearing?? NOT. I still go out and feed in my nightgown and boots half the time. I don't care!!
    Do what you want to do. Don't listen to what others tell you you should do. That is where my anxiety would come from!
    If you feel like it, walk to your mailbox. One day, just open your front door and take a deep breath of fresh air. Maybe one day you'll feel ok enough to walk to the end of your block. Or even just walk around your house. That is what I used to do. My doctor told me I had to walk for 10 minutes a day. I would walk around the outside of my house for 5 minutes every morning. I didn't care if my neighbors thought I was crazy!
    Get dressed if you want to! or should i say, if you have enough energy. I know some days it takes all the energy you have just to take a shower. washing my hair used to be so painful to my arms. But you know what? you might feel better knowing you did it. did something. I used to do stretches or walk and then be so tired I'd have to take a nap. But it was ok, cuz i knew at least i had done something and my nap was like a reward for doing it! yeah, just rationalize it that way! That works!
  20. 2girls

2girls New Member

My flanny PJ's are the most comfy clothes I own. I adore them and they keep me warm and nobody complains. That being said, I feel it is important for me to get dressed in the morning even though my clothes are not half as comfy as the PJ's. It is great for my soul and self esteem to join the land of the living. I try to get out at least once a week & weekends when possible. Walks are great and I enjoy shopping when sensory overload is not in high gear. I do enjoy getting decked out once in a while, just to feel good.
    It all comes down to personal taste. During major flares I am very down emotionally and must have something to look forward to.

2girls