Do you lose weight on the hcg diet?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hensue, May 25, 2008.

1. hensue

hensue New Member

Please give me a shout out if you know about the hcg diet?
    Can fibromyalgia patients take it. Has anybody lost any weight on it? How will it affect our pain?
  2. chrissy12

chrissy12 New Member

I know of a few people who did this diet. I think you get 500 calories and you get shots. They did lose the weight, but around 2-3 weeks out, they felt very sick. It doesn't sound very healthy, from what I have heard.

I have gained weight during this time, but I don't think my body could take this diet.
  3. funfree

funfree New Member

I just signed up on this site today. While reading I ran into your post....I know sometime has gone by.... since you asked these question...<BR>
    .......Yes ! !!!!you do loose weight on the HCG injection. I did get them from a weight contol doctor.... I felt so great, wonderful. I can remember, I was pain free from Fibro.... really.<BR>
    My Dr. seem to think it was the B12 injections along with the HCG.<BR>
    I stopped the injections after I reaced my goal weight. I felt so good I forgot about about the pain and keeping the weight off. As the pounds returned I noticed the pain return.<BR>
    I did not gain all my weight back because the heavier I got the more pain I experienced.<BR>
    That's a way for me to gauge my pounds on and pounds of.<BR>
    My life style has changed now. I am retired and not as active less to do daily..<BR>
    I have been looking up the new formula's .I have made up my mind. I like pro hcg website.<BR>
    Look around and pick what you like so many out there.<BR>
    Good Luck<BR>
  4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

It certainly doesn't sound healthy. Why not just lower your calorie intake and forget about the hcg?? People don't put weight on overnight and shouldn't expect to be able to lose it overnight.
    <br><br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 02/05/2011</i>]
  5. kat211

kat211 New Member

This type of stuff really irks me because of the shear danger. The 'hgc diet' is another one of these fad let me take your money diet things. hgc is a hormone that increases during pregnancy. this 'diet' allows for 500 calories a day. Really? 500 calories? Sure, you'll lose weight, but you are going to kill plenty of brain cells, damage your heart, lungs, and other vital organs while you are depriving your body of the vital nutrients it needs to function. This is not safe for a 'normal' healthy person, so for those of us dealing w/these DDs it is not only dangerous, but it could be deadly.
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Wow!! With a diet like this you will lose muscle instead of fat. You might lose the weight but but too quickly and the pounds come back and this time it is fat.&lt;BR&gt;
    So you get hgh without a doctor's prescription or seeing a endocrinologist? That is super dangerous. The endocrine system is a delicate balance and if one thing gets out of whack, everything else will also. Especially is you don't need these &quot;hormones&quot;. Same with people upping their dosage of thyroid medication or who take adrenal extracts.&lt;BR&gt;
    It is just plain dangerous.&lt;BR&gt;
    Another person selling something. We have had a lot this year. Hit the inappropriate button, people!!&lt;BR&gt;

ETS Jam you are right. It's lifestyle changes that work. That is why weight watchers works well for some people. You should never lose more than 1-2 pounds per week. Otherwise, you lose muscle. Now this may vary depending on a person's weight but the bottom line is that you don't want to lose it quickly.

I looked at the website. One bottle would pay for a month of Weight Watchers. Geese!!!

ETAA They also sell you homeopathic remedies. AKKKKKKKKKKKK!!! That's just my personal opinion and don't want to debate this. However on second thought you are suppose to drink a lot of water to lose weight. :&gt;)<br><br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 02/05/2011</i>]
  7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

What is really sad is that our country is so obsessed with losing weight, especially young girls who are susceptible to buying in to something like this. They don't know how dangerous this diet is. They will only see the pounds coming off and not realizing as they continue how detrimental this and other diets like it can ruin your health. Especially teenagers who need the calories.k Unfortunately, people under 18 can say they are, kids can take these drops without parents being the wiser. Shudder.&lt;BR&gt;
    If someone is severely obese, there are doctors affiliated with good hospitals who have programs where your calories may be severely restricted an option only for the severely obese, but it is done under the guidance of a physician who specializes in this area. My clinic has a weight control department and people come from far away. But again you are monitored frequently, work with a dietitian and support groups. They take into consideration people who are on medication that promotes weight gain or people who have chronic illnesses who can't do traditional exercises. It's not cheap but some insurance companies will cover the cost minus a copay.&lt;BR&gt;
    Remember when several people died from the Atkins Diet?&lt;BR&gt;
    And what Kina said. :&gt;)&lt;BR&gt;

ETA Also make sure any weight loss Dr. or program is certified by the accredited association. Not just some fly by night accreditation.<br><br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 02/05/2011</i>]
  8. quanked

quanked Member

I am not sure what the HCG diet is but I have been hearing about the gabrielle method. Sounds like a life style change to me. &lt;BR&gt;
    I agree with his assertion that we are starving (in a sense) because of the lack of nutrition in our food because of processing and the way we now grow food in depleted soils.&lt;BR&gt;
    I am interested in hearing more about it from others.
  9. keke466

keke466 New Member

I work with 2 RN's that did this diet. They both lost weight. One of them works for the chiroprator who supervised it and gave them the shots. They both did the 500 calorie a day thing. The one just kept telling me it's all in what you eat. For a certain amt of time she'd eat certain foods and then she'd switch it up. She lost 30lbs. After she lost the weight she stopped it. She did it to get some weight off and get her thyroid under control. She gets all her supplements from him. She doesn't see a regular Dr for anything. I don't trust it myself. I can't do diets because I'm a vegetarian and all of them have meat involved. I just have to do it on my own. Well I try to anyway.
  10. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

HCG and HGH are different.&lt;BR&gt;
    HCG worked on using the stored fat, not muscle. That's one of the differences. You can't do it forever. Depends on how much weight you want to lose of course for one thing, but you do cycles of it. &lt;BR&gt;
    The main thing you'll hear about supporters is that they have learned to change their eating habits. &lt;BR&gt;
    You can get them in drops at a GNC or comparable place. I do have a friend w/Fibro who was prescribed HCG. It helped her headaches. &lt;BR&gt;
    Also, it doesn't take a while to lose weight, you lose right away.&lt;BR&gt;
    Many people who use through a Dr. get their blood work done before and after and have found no changes. Many who were diabetic are off their medicine, cholesterol lowered etc. No Ketosis.&lt;BR&gt;
    You don't go into starvation mode, because your body, like I said is using the stored FAT. It resets your metabolism. It's easy for people to stay on because of the fact that they see results so quickly. First &quot;cycle&quot; is only 21 or 26 days (can't remember).&lt;BR&gt;
    PS. I am not on nor have ever used HCG.&lt;BR&gt;
    Read the website and separate reviews on other sites.&lt;BR&gt;
  11. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

This diet is extremely dangerous! The good news: You do lose weight! The bad news: it will destroy every nutrient in your body! I was on it for two months, and yes I lost 40 pounds, then just stopped. I felt very sick. I went to the ER and discovered I had Hypokalemia - my potassium was so low, it was life-threatening. My other nutrient panels were those of someone SEVERELY malnourished. And you ARE!&lt;BR&gt;
    500 calories a day? People in the penitentiary get 2,000, so you are getting 1,500 LESS than a death row inmate! For every week you are on this diet, it takes your body 3 MONTHS to recover what it has lost in nutrients. It's starvation, plain and simple. And the &quot;magic drops&quot; are sugar-water!&lt;BR&gt;
    It's a total rip-off and VERY dangerous! And if you are already weak from fibro, lupus or anything associated with it, you will be ten times worse. Save yourself some money, get a juicer and fresh, organic fruits and veggies and drink your way to weight loss AND good health!