Do you practice yoga? For FM/CFIDS? Interested in it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ellikers, Jun 17, 2006.

1. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I have been practicing yoga for a litte over a year now and most of my "practice" is by myself at home. I am really enthusiastic about it and would love to share ideas with other folks on here who do yoga or are interested in it.

What poses feel especially good to you?

Are there certain ones you use for relaxing, relieving pain or dealing with any other symptoms or troubles?

How and when and where do you like to practice? Do you take classes, practice at home with a DVD or a from info in a book?

What do you like about it or what would you like to learn?

Hope to here from folks soon! Namaste.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/18/2006]
  2. crossword

crossword New Member

the basics? Please let me know. crossword
  3. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

ellikers ... yes .. I practice yoga that is tailored for me .. I started when I was 15 .. now 49 .. but did not stick with it continuously .. until now.
    it helps release the tension in my legs and back.

I have a very specific individual routine that starts with me laying on my bed with a large heating pad on my lower back .. this is VERY helpful to warm and relax the muscles ..
    This routine has 2 basic poses for the majority of my time .. 30 minutes ..

I bring one leg up to my chest, bent .. gently stretch it in upright position, aiming for my head .. then straighten it out and hold for 60 seconds .. alternating legs to make it 20 minutes of this. I have always been stiff and had problems with flexibility .. grew fast when I was young .. 5'9"
    Then I start the same pose with knee to chest but extend the leg side ways and hold for 60 seconds .. it stretches the muscles in a different direction .. I do that for 8 (4x each leg 60 seconds each)minutes ..
    Then bend both knees outwards like a frog swimming (sorry .. best description I can think of .. it really stretches the rest of the muscles out .. 2 x 60 seconds ..
    This routine helps my lower back .. I have a fusion with 4 screws and a bone graft from my right hip .. and that can be one devil of a pain area.

It may not sound like regular yoga .. I did practice Hawtha yoga .. but this routine is the one I stick to and it helps .. I do it early evening to relieve tension to help sleep ..

I have two great books by Kareen Zebroff .. basic simple poses ..
    I tried Tai Chi (spelling wrong) but I can NOT concentrate in a group .. it just didn't work for me.
    This works !
    Joy : )
    [This Message was Edited on 06/18/2006]
  4. ellikers

ellikers New Member

crossword: I would suggest a website for the magazine "Yoga Journal" it has a lot of insighful advice and a whole list of basic (and more challenging poses) and how to do them. Just search the magazinee's title and you should find it. :) There are also lots of DVDs and videos out there- but websites are a far cheaper first endeavour.

fudge: your routine sounds great! And really, any stretching like that IS a form of hatha yoga! I do the "lying down with your legs out how a frog would swim" pose too! For some reason I have really tight hips and hip flexors ... it helps loosen them up. I stopped doing that stretch for awhile (I got really busy and out of my usual yoga habits) and my hips got SO MUCH more tight! I could tell what a difference using that pose on a regular basis made!
  5. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

I am going through yoga trauma now.

The studio that I found and love is closing down. The owners are moving to Phoenix. Big gain for Phoenix, but a loss for me.

I have gone to another studio that does Vinyasa as opposed to Hatha. I like it, but I have problems sustaining the pace. So sometimes I feel a little goofy, but I DON'T push it. I know it's always about listening to my body first.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  6. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I'm sorry that your yoga studio is closing!! That stinks.
  7. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

I love yoga it does wonders for me, physically and spiritually. After first becoming ill, I practiced regularly, mainly at home. I used a tape called "Stress Relief Yoga" by Susan Deason, it's about 20 min. and very gentle.

Then I found a great teacher who taught Iyengar. She is very gifted and works extremely well with people who have physical limitations and illness. Her classes were so uplifting. Then, both of our circumstances changed, and I was not able to go.

I found a great qigong teacher then, and went with that for about 8 months, it was wonderful.

Last year I became so fatigued and ill that even doing yoga became too difficult. Since that time I have become very deconditioned, and really notice the difference. I'm trying to incorporate it back into my life, little by little.

I highly recommend gentle yoga. It's very uplifting!

Hopeful4
  8. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi i also do some light yoga stretching routines similar to fudge! a book and a dvd are next on my list!! all i know is if i don't do it everyday i hurt worse!
  9. forfink

forfink New Member

I love yoga. Wish everyone would try it. Even if you try some gentle relaxing moves of any type you will feel better!! If any one is looking for a class, always look for gentle yoga.

After 6 years of yoga I feel like a pretzel. Even though the moves are slow and gentle my body has become so flexible and what a positive feeling that gives you. We all suffer so much, a few positive uppers like this gives you hope....

Even the spiritual aspect of yoga gives you more appreciation for your body, even though so many times we feel our bodies let us down with so much pain. Namaste....

I honor the place in you
    in which the entire Universe dwells,

I honor the place in you
    which is of Love, of Truth, of Light and of Peace,

When you are in that place in you,
    and I am in that place in me,
    we are One.

10. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi
    thankyou for the beautiful yoga poem!!
  11. ellikers

ellikers New Member

That was beautiful! Thank you for sharing it.

Yoga has so many benefits. I agree with you forfink that yoga can help you find some comfort and confidence especially when your body feels like the enemy most of the time! I really treasure stretching, it feels so good. And trying somewhat challenging poses to give me a boost.

Hooray for yoga! I'm trying to improve my practice so that I practice yoga more regularly and "center" myself (people at my work are really irritating me and I feel the need to calm myself).

This week I am going to try and do:
    (1) sunsalutations in the morning
    (2) stretch my hip flexors and back at night
    (3) do some downward dog and cobra poses during naptime at the child care center where I work