Do you read Fibromyalgia Aware Magazine?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Wasabi, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Wasabi

Wasabi New Member

Fibromyalgia Aware is the magazine of the National Fibromyalgia Association. I'm curious to know if others are reading it too.

I just got my latest issue today, and based on the two issues I've seen so far, I'm really impressed by this magazine.

It addresses real issues in Fibromyalgia intelligently and with empathy, and it's a visually attractive magazine.

Anyone else love and appreciate this magazine like I do?
  2. cindyrose

cindyrose New Member

I've never heard of it! Do you just go to their website and sign up for it? and the cost? how many pages is it?
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Wasabi:
    To be truthfully I am wary of any magazine like that or jounals that address Firbromyalgia. Each one gives some kind on nutritional regimen or one for exercise and prescribe your way for daily living.

Ironically, many of them contradict each other.

They drain my brain and make me more confused.

Yes, I'd like to read the magazine, though---where can I find it to see if it's like some other mags/articles.

Hugs
    NyroFAn
  4. Musica

Musica New Member

but I have thought about it for quite some time. I visit the website and look at the online magazine, but haven't subscribed yet.

As far as I am concerned, The National Fibromyalgia Association is a very credible organization. It is sponsoring a conference in March, to be held in San Diego, for both patients and doctors. It is advertised as being the first like this. I think it would be a great opportunity!

The magazine does look well put together. And they take enough time between issues to do a good job. Of course, there will be differing opinions about things, as with every condition. And that is good! Because then we get more than one viewpoint and can make up our own minds about things.

If you don't want the cost of subscribing, you might ask your local library system to subscribe to it. If you get folks from a local fibro chapter to ask, the higher the possibility that the library will carry it.
  5. Wasabi

Wasabi New Member

For those who are interested, you can see information about the magazine at the web site of the National Fibromyalgia Association: http://fmaware.org/index.html

(Click on the tab on the left that reads "FM Aware Magazine.")

The magazine is 80 pages long, full-color. It costs $35 for three issues, which is rather expensive, but they really try to address real issues and cover recent research and treatment options. It's a national magazine with a circulation of 500,000! Some bookstores carry it, but you can also order it from the web site.

The magazine does not have an agenda as far as promoting one treatment or protocol. Rather, they try to provide a variety of information.

What I like most about the magazine is that they include stories of real people with fibromyalgia and how they are coping in their daily lives.

The founder of the National Fibromyalgia Association has fibromyalgia herself.

I read the magazine from cover to cover over a couple of months--there's a lot of information in each issue, and sometimes it takes time to digest it all.

Anyway, I think many people with FM would benefit from this magazine. I know I have.
  6. Lolo500

Lolo500 New Member

Just read over your more recent posts as I am interested in your progress in comparison to mine. We both see same doctor. I noticed you don't have Nystatin or Diflucan listed under your meds. Your meds also look less than what I remember. My protocol has changed some recently-off amoxicillan, add NAC, change in Diflucan treatment.

Candida has a strong hold on me and as other areas have shown improvement, this remains a hurdle. The holidays did me no favors as I caved and gave in to sugar triggering pain, bloating, hot flashes and more. I was left unprotected as I was temporarily off Nystatin and Diflucan while I was taking oral Nystatin. I am now suffering the consequences.

Most of my pain is in my low back and legs. By the way, I sleep with a pillow between my knees so they they don't touch each other. It's the only way I can sleep on my sides. I even have to switch that continuously during the night. I get a tingling or electic feeling running from my lower back down my legs. Do you share this symptom?

Oytocin didn't work for me.

I'm seeing an HRT doc next week, one referred by our docs office. I'm perimenopausal and the hot flashes and night sweats have become unbarable since the start of the treatment in August. I know I'm quite a bit older than you so this may not be part of your experience.

Interested to see what commonalities we might have and what recent changes you might have experienced with your protocol.

Always appreciate your posts.