Do you remember what made you thnk something was wrong

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, Nov 14, 2005.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

Do you remember thinking that there must be some thing wrong with me? No one can feel like this all the time?
    I remember wondering what and why did I always feel so exhusted and in pain all the time. I had been told all the time " You really can't hurt that much all the time" But I did and I still do.

As a small girl I always had leg aches they hurt so much and I had them so often that Mom took me to see Dr.Bob. { Local family doctor} he looked at mylegs and could not find what the cause was . So I was told that it was growing pains, {I have stopped growing and yet I still ache.} Si along with that DX I was told to take 1 asprin every 4 hours and a vitiman C a day to help with the pain.

AS Time moved on I still hurt in my legs and then my knees started to ache as well, I would tripp over anything and everything including my own shadow. I thought that it was just me and as I went on threw my life. I just didn't feel well .It seemed that I got sick quite often with colds and bronchitis and things like that. I wondered why me?

AS a child we spent a week in Canada with my mother's family and I Loved it so much. To see my grandparents and Aunts, Uncles, Cousins. All the family. It was something that I looked forward to every year. I found that my legs ached when I played in cold water.So water fights with cousins were not as much fun as they had been.

My grandparents lived in a small town of Magrath Alberta Canada. most of my Aunts, uncles and cousins lived all quite close. My grandmother was not well. She always had that deep hacking cough. Mom said that it was becasue Grandma Rasmussen had been thought to have had TB. But she never had it. AFter she had passed away if was found in the atospy that she had lung cancer and other problems with her heart, and lungs .

So when I started to couch that sounded like my Grandma's it worried me alot. I had so many chest X-Rays that I should glow in the dark. But I didn't have anything wrong with my lungs they were always clear. And one day they were not, and I started to get phenumonia and I can still tell you when I hvae it even before the doctor can. It really bites to always be exhusted and then add having the phumonia on top of it. I have been hospilitized 2-4 times in my life for it. The last time was just a bit over 3 years ago. The phenominia was not that bad although I did have 2 spots in my lungs wwhere it was bad, but I could not keep my blood oxygen upit was so low that they kept me in the hospital for 3 days.

It was at 50 and it would get up to normal if I justs really worked and did deep breathing. But they kept me on O2 to keep it up. But it did keep going up and down, I and finally after being on antiboiotics for a few days . I went home

But I am wondering of all the things that have happend in my life time in being sick are all a part of this fibro. Did it start it? WAs this the begining of my fibromyaligia? AS I hvae read books on fibromyaligia I had read that you can have a dry cough, leg aches,arthritis, headaches, feelings of generlized unexplained fatiqued. Tests have been run and everything comes back normal, I don't have anything wrong that a blood test will show. I have not had any tests for a long time.

But after one surgery I develped a hematoma and had to have a MRI to find where is was. So after it had been done the doctor informed me that I had spinal stenosis, degenerative disc diease. Bulding discs,

Could all of these problems have started the fibromyaligia?
    IT is just some thing that I really wonder about. Could all the probelms i have had the illnesses the clumsiness,pale and always tired, is this what started the fibro?

Just wondered if my getting sick and having all these problems could have been what triggered my fibro adn my CMP?

has anyone else had symilar probelms with their health and now have fibro? I am just wondering if I am alone in thinking aboaut this or has anyone else had this too.

Thanks so much I was just asking and I wondering about it.
    Thanks for your help. Rosemarie
  2. jake123

jake123 New Member

I had the leg aches also. I was taken to the Dr. because it was the time of polio. We moved to Hawaii and I had many cases of tonsilitis with high fevers. Back to the states began to have extreme pain with periods and headaches. My mom scored a bottle of parigoric and would give me a baby spoonful with an aspirin. One time to the ER. I was not athletic at all. I could not run a distance.
    College, married, two children, birth control pills helped. Still headaches on and on. Sleep would help.
    Divorced, more college, graduated, remarried, problems with step children, partying with husbands and old friends, lots of Crown Royal and bigger headaches. That was dumb. Quit drinking. Tried to go back to aerobics work out and every time I would get exhausted and sick to my stomach and have to stay in bed for a couple of days.
    I thought this is ridiculous and I tried harder - the rest is history.
  3. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I was driving into town wishing that I would crash into an inanimate object (so no one would get hurt) and be severely hurt so I would have an excuse to not be "on the go."

About that time, I thought, "Everyone can't feel like me or everyone would be crashing everywhere. Hmmmm something must be wrong with me (to be this tired)!"

Was still years away to diagnosis. I was convinced that it was all in my head or I must have some horrible depression, etc. etc.
  4. elastigirl

elastigirl New Member

I've been sluggish most of my life. In my teens, I thought I was studying too hard (late nights). In my twenties, I thought I was working too much (60-70 hours per week). In my thirties, after I had my baby, I thought I was just tired and in pain because I was a new mother.

Then one day, I asked my neighbor (in her forties, who had her baby the same month I did) if she woke up everyday in pain and went to sleep every night in pain. She looked confused and said, "No." She had many times my energy and took her daughter everywhere. I was lucky just to make it through the basics of survival each day.

It struck me then that I was ill. That was in 2001. I wasn't diagnosed until Sept. 2005. But I knew I was sick and supsected CFS all this time. I was diagnosed with FM, but I know I have CFS, too. My symptoms matched dead-on.
  5. Empower

Empower New Member

The first thing that happened was that my legs started to feel like they were encased in cement, had a hard time walking, thought I had MS

Then, I slowly started to notice that i was going from the Energizer Bunny to a big slug. Couldn't do the things I use to do, every activity left me exhausted

The killer was I had a laparascopy and felt fine afterwards, but about 2 weeks later, I could not drag myself out of bed
  6. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

I remember always being told I was a "dramatic" child.. That I'd get hit with a ball and think I was dying.. I know now that maybe I was a little dramatic, but I also know that the pain was real.

I was depressed as a teenager- school counselors called my parents, they brushed it off as me being "dramatic" - or seeking attention.. I was the cursed "middle child" and would do anything for attention..

As an adult-I'm 36 now- I too had a chiropractor first tell me that he suspected FM- and several years later after 2 bouts of horrid post partum depression and being upgraded to "major depressive disorder" - I finally started searching for answers as to what was really wrong with me.. It took about 3 years of suffering with relentless pain all over before I finally got a diagnosis and started treatment.

Fortunately, for me, my family actually read the information I gave them, and my Mom feels pretty bad about brushing me off all those years.

Someone else in this thread said that they asked someone if they hurt all the time.. I STILL do that, I'll press on my b/f's knee and say, does that hurt? or I'll push on his shoulder joint and say, does that bother you? He'll go, ahhh.. no.. then I'll press on my own - go thru the roof and say to myself.. woah this isn't normal.

This sucks.

Sharon
  7. jane32

jane32 New Member

I have always been able to do a lot but noticed I was always tired in the afternoon. I also have always caught the colds going around and it would knock me out for at least two weeks. I realized I had CFS when my fevers from what I thought was a really bad cold didn't go away and I just felt like I was dying.
  8. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

of your post could be my own. I too was told by our old family doctor that my leg pain was growing pains. My daddy used an old rememdy of dissolving aspirins in rubbing alcohol (I don't really know why)and rubbing it on my legs at night when I would cry as a child that my legs hurt. Always during gym class in school, I had trouble with any kind of exercise that was required. I just couldn't do much physically and at that time, we had the President's Physical Fitness requiements where you would do the standing broad jump, climbing ropes, etc. and that was always pure torture for me. It is a miracle I ever passed a grade due to the physical education grades. I could never run because my side would always ache and I would have pain in my legs. I truely believe I have had FMS my entire life and now that I am in my late 40's, it has just about taken over my life.
    Sorry that you have so many problems but it really is a relief to know that other people have experienced the same conditions and that it is not all in my head regardless of what some friends and doctors have told me in the past. They seem to think that if I got more exercise, I would be in better shape but if you hurt everytime you exert yourself in any way, you tend to not move those body parts unless absolutely necessary.
    Stinker56
  9. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I have always been tired, even as a child. Always had headaches. Then in my early 50s I hurt all over. I put off going to the doctor because I just knew it had to be something serious. But, I went to the doctor, and was told it's arthritis. My hands did hurt alot, but I had sense enough to know that arthritis is in a person's joints, not all over every inch of the body from head to toe!

I went to another doctor, and was diagnosed with FM at about 51 years old, although I know it goes back further than that.

I was relieved with the diagnoses at that time, but then the reality hit me - this isn't going to go away. ):

Kinsie

10. kalaya

kalaya New Member

a half month period where I was completely vaporised every day,just wicked fatigue but I was always certain that things would be back to normal tomorrow so I didn't stress over the abnormal weakness.
    What got my attention was that my brain function began to veer off to a weird abnormal area.My vision began to get blurry and oddly distorted but I knew it was not my eyesight that was causing this but my brain.
    I went out one night to be with friends and when I returned home I was sitting in the living room and just began to scan each room while sitting on the couch.The perception I had of my house is one that I would have had to have taken a hallucinagenic drug to have this clock work orange mental picture.Problem was is that I hadn't taken anything even as strong as caffeine,I don't touch drugs.I knew then that something was very wrong.
  11. OptimusUndead

OptimusUndead Member

During high school i was a sprinter, and during an intense run i got half way around the track, and became amzingly dizzy and fatigued out of nowhere.. it hit me like a Brick wall to a speeding car. Also soon after i was rollerblading, and had to lie down.... i was intensely involved in sports and activities, so it came as a shock. I was baffled in the beginning..

chris
  12. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

I had terrible growing pains in my legs too . I would wake in the night crying. It was like someone was pulling them and tearing the muscles. It was awful. I have heard its a common thing amongst us fibro sufferers. I live in Ontario Canada so I know all about the cold weather. ITs coming our way now. YUK
    poodlemum
  13. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I would like you to please bump this up to page 1 this whole thread about remembering when you frist know that something was not right and you didn't feel so good.
    I have and still do wonder what was it that sarted me thinking that there was something not right with me.

I really felt so alone growning up as I didn't like to run it hurt, I loved to read because I didn't have to move, I was always a night owl and could not sleep weel at night , I still don't fall alseep very fast it seems like it takes forever for me to fall alseep.

And yet in the morning I don't want to wake up and if I can I don't get up till noon some days. I know that if I have to be somewhere early in the morning I can set the alarm and although I am tired I will get up and be albe to do things , but in doing that I need to reswt sooner in the day Or I just wear out.

so what made you think that there was something wrong with you? Did it start when you were a child or from a accident ? I just wondered what it was that made you thing that there was something wrong with you?

Rosemarie
  14. Suewoo

Suewoo New Member

I was sitting relaxing with my hubby, having a glass of wine. Out of the blue I got a pain shooting down the base of my left thumb, then my hand started going numb like the feeling you get when your hand falls asleep but before the pins and needles start. By the next day it had started in my left foot. By the next week it wasn't getting any better and my whole arm and most of my leg was affected. I went to the doc and spent the next year having tests. Before all this happened I had been working out, getting in shape and I had lost almost 30 pounds. I do remember slipping down the stairs carrying a over full laundry basket the springtime before, I hurt my hip, maybe that triggered it off??
    [This Message was Edited on 11/16/2005]
  15. atpeace

atpeace New Member

That's when I first noticed pain in my wrists and arms. I went to an orthopedists, who tentatively dx me with "radial tunnel syndrom" (similar to carpal tunnel).

However, I was fairly certain it couldn't be that -- because I had pain in BOTH arms/wrists, simultaneously. As I asked the Dr., what are the chances of BOTH arms/wrists becoming affected AT THE SAME EXACT TIME with either radial or carpal tunnel. He said it would be very rare....so he sent me to a Rheum. friend of his, who happened to be very interested in Fibromyalgia.

I was diagnosed after 2 visits with the Rheumatologist. His words, I believe, were "You could be the poster child for Fibromyalgia." I was a driven, extremely busy, exercise-aholic, borderline anorexic working mom of 2. I was the first to sign up for an 19 month FMS drug study in 1995. The worst part of that was having the Dr. push on every one of my tender points every 6 weeks to gauge my pain. Ouch.

My life slowed way down after I was dx. It was that or be hospitalized with a nervous breakdown ;)

The pain stayed in my hands/wrists/arms for several years, before it started to migrate to other areas. I actually had about 2 years of remission where I had almost no symptoms...that was about 2 years ago. Then it came back worse than I've ever had it. My FMS isn't debilitating like it is for some of you folks, thankfully, but it is definitely a big part of my life these days. :(

I also had quite a lot of growing pains when I was a kid. I don't remember having exhaustion back then, but it sure is a problem now!

Thanks for "listening."

Lori[This Message was Edited on 11/17/2005]
    [This Message was Edited on 11/17/2005]
  16. kaymac

kaymac New Member

I suddenly felt "ill" all over and my body was turning into cement! My legs, arms, joints. I couldn't pick up my feet. I just felt like I was dying. It suddenly set on, went to the doctor within a week and was diagnosed. That was 5 years ago, I think?? Not much improvement since then.
  17. millennia

millennia New Member

I've had pain for as long as I can remember. So long in fact that I thought everybody was in pain all the time and that they just didn't whine like me, But when my legs started to feel like Jello, they were so weak and tired I dreaded walking, I found a new doctor and finally got a diagnosis. I had never heard of Fibromyalgia, I thought my doctor was some sort of genius pulling this obscure sounding thing right out of nowhere. Than I did some research and realized that if I had been reading out of a book I couldn't have listed more textbook symptoms. All those years when I would tell my doctor about seemingly unrelated things and he would look at me like I was crazy. Well he was WRONG and I was RIGHT. The fact that I'm tired all the time and I get lost and fall down a lot and my skin hurts to the lightest touch and my body always hurts and my hurt flutters and I forgot what I was typing (LOL), it is all connected! I'm not crazy, I'm just sick.
  18. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Like Stormyskye, I had aches and pains as a child, but it wasn't until my total hysterectomy (6 years ago) that I realized that things weren't ever going to be the same. It then took three years to find a doctor who realized what was going on.

Having arthritis, neuropathy, and adhesions as well as fibro, I still feel that FMS takes the biggest toll on my life.

Healing hugs to all,

Janice

19. nina2

nina2 New Member

Always being extremely active, a single parent of 3, with a dog,two cats,gold fish,hamsters and a rabbit my daughter was trying to hide from me in her bedroom.....it hit like a ton of bricks. So terribly tired and weak with bouts of pain throughout my body made it so difficult to manage my family and work all of the hours I had as a nurse.

I remember feeling so overwhelmed and depressed as the couch had never been my lifestyle in the past but was becoming a favorite resting place of mine.

Friends and family would tell me I looked tired but doctors could not find or pinpoint the cause. They would tell me that I looked good. I had reached a point where I had attributed the cause of my total exhaustion to burn-out. I figured I had reached a time in my life when my overactive lifestyle had finally caught up with me.

This went on for years. With visits to many doctors in between trying to find the reason for my pain and fatigue .15 years later I was finally diagnosed with fm. After being treated for many years with my severe back injury which led to arthritis.

Throughout it all I remember the looks from family and some friends who thought it was all in my mind and that I was just becoming a chronic complainer. That hurt me a lot.

I would try to do all I did before with them and suffer in my silence later. But, I know we do reach a point when we cannot even do that anymore. And we become what we are. Not even half the person we were or would like to be.

Throughout the months that I have been reading posts on this board I have come to realize that there are no lazy people here. But persons who have led actve productive lives and no longer can. This is not a choice that we have made nor is it one that we find rewarding.

I still admire and respect the strength and willpower many show on this board. It shows that still after all there is a spirit hidden under all the "debris" of this illness, still fighting, still trying to function.

This is what we have been dealt, but I see so much heart on this board and strength for one another.

God bless you all and have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday.
    nina
  20. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

then one night i GOT EXCRUCIATING PAIN IN MY MIDDLE BACK..... a 10!!!!!!!!!!!.I was ready to go to the hospital but it was down to an 8 when I got up.For the entire week until I saw the doctor I couldn't lay down.It didn't matter because my eyes didn't want to close .I was exhausted and stayed awake for 5 day.Linda