Do you remember your first symptom?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gymmbabe, Jun 27, 2006.

1. gymmbabe

gymmbabe New Member

Hello all,

I was sitting here trying to figure out when this all started. I had a lot of "growing pains" as a child.

But, I believe I started going down hill several years ago. My first symptom was numbness on the left side of my face. The docs treated it as a sinus infection, ear infection, etc. It never went away.

Then, slowly my neck, shoulder, arm, etc. started hurting, tingling, well..you know the rest of the story!

Just wondering what symptom do you remember first??

Dawn
  2. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

my very first symptom was a sore throat one night,
    i just attributed it to my acid reflux.

then the next morning when i woke up for school,
    the sore throat was ten times worse,
    and i had the worst headache ever.

after that i got worse for a few days, high fever and everything, from some mystery illness.

and i just never got better.

but the sore throat is the first thing i remember.

-danielle
  3. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

I took no notice at the time as I thought it was due to stress, then the cognitive problems started and I knew something was wrong and when I started falling asleep at work that's when I finally went to the docs.

Sue
  4. Empower

Empower New Member

My legs felt very weak and heavy, thought I had MS

PRogressed from there
  5. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

but I was about ten and I would get these back aches that would just about kill me. The only way that I could stop crying would be to lie on the floor and try to "stretch" it out. It would take some time, and I can remember telling my mom, who was a nurse, and she would tell me that it was just "growing" pains.

Ingrid
  6. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

My very first clue that something was very wrong was actually 3 things back-to-back. First a sharp pain in my left foot (top, outer part), dizzy spells, insomnia. Then I got bronchitis and several stressful life events and all of a sudden I had pain and stiffness in the morning, severe fatigue, memory loss, etc.. I never recovered.

Lolalee
  7. wangotango

wangotango New Member

i was sitting in college and got real hot and sweaty, then i had weird bumps pop up on my arms where the arm pivots. nothing in them just like a small callus. then i had spells of fatigue that would put me down, but after it was over i was back to normal again and for a long time maybe 2 to 4 weeks. of course my doc said it was depression.
    my cluster headaches were at an all time high, lasting longer and worse than ever. then a year later i was on the floor and when i could get up i would get short of breath walking 10 feet.
    another year still in bed and hurt like hell all over that's when i went and seen dr brewer in knmo.
    be well all
  8. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

While I was working, about 10-12 years ago, I used to get four or five migraines a month. I'd always blame them on the fumes from a new Xerox copier.

Each winter I'd come down with a cold, starting with a sore throat, which would always develop into bronchitis. It took me months to recover.

I remember needing lunchtime naps beginning about six years ago, after my husband died of lung cancer. I think a hysterectomy in 1995, a knee replacement in 1999, his struggle and death in 2000, and my return to work for the next three years, sealed my fate. My fibromyalgia symptoms flared over that period and I've never gotten better.

So, I guess I could say my symptoms started appearing about 10-12 years ago, but I didn't put them together into "fibromyalgia" until two years ago.
  9. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

My very first symptom was after having mono 9 years ago. I'd have to say it was the low-grade fever and flu-like symptoms. I can remember waking up in the morning telling my mother that I didn't feel good. She never doubted me, even when my fever was only low-grade. It would be in the 99 range, and I'd be feeling awful. With it came the joint pain and achiness. I never really thought much of it, I just thought it was normal for people to feel sick all the time after having mono. It wasn't until after having my son that I began to question it. I began having awful leg pains whenever a storm would move in, it felt like a very deep aching in my legs. That's what drove me to the doctor. And now here I am, 9 years after all of this began, with CFIDS.

Gentle hugs to all,
    Kim
  10. ldbarker

ldbarker New Member

I had shooting pains in my left thumb when I was pregant with my 2nd child. My only real complaint during the whole pregnancy. Then my left big toe hurt terribly, was checked for gout etc. but couldn't find an answer. I also have leg heaviness and pain and was also thinking possibly MS was the problem. Don't know whether to be relieved or not by the Fibro diagnosis.
  11. gymmbabe

gymmbabe New Member

Wow, I never thought about thinking back to childhood. I was talking to my mom and she remembers that I would wake up in the mornings complaining that I just didn't feel good. I missed a lot of school during my 3rd and 4th grade years. I had forgotten about that. I guess it's been around for a lot longer than I has suspected.

Dawn