Do You See Faces?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lolalee, May 28, 2006.

1. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

OK, I feel like I'm going out on a limb here with this question, but here goes. When I look at a pattern, i.e. wallpaper, wood floor, granite counter, fabric, my eyes pick out "faces" in the design. I can see eyes and nose and mouth. This sounds so weird.

I was wondering if this happens to anyone else? I was thinking recently that it might be a brain "thing" that happens to people with FMS/CFIDS. I mean, we do have so many things that are unique.

What say you, other than..Lola you're hallucinating!! LOL

Lolalee
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

I am always noticing faces in wrinkled pieces of fabric, clouds, trees, whatever. I never point it out cause I know it sounds dumb. And I am pretty good at seeing the pattern in those pictures where you relax you eyes and sort of look "through" the picture.
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

for my whole life.... I even take pictures of them, others see the faces too, then... except for the ones where I have to blur my eyes.

so we are not hallucinating, LOL!

I always thought it was cuz I was attuned to faces, love to do portraits, actually.

Victoria

4. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

Yes, I see faces in all kinds of things. Clouds etc.
    Cindy
  5. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

All the time! It's so funny that you mention this.

Ok- another odd behavior- I constantly read words backwards. It actually came in handy when we were at a friend's house and we were playing a game where we had to spell backwards within so many seconds.

Needless to say, I kicked *!*(
  6. kriket

kriket New Member

I was relaxing in the tub the other night and I was looking at one of the doors and I noticed a face. Seems like when you spot a face you never forget it or you find yourself trying to find it again. Who would have ever thought that someone else does the same thing, quite a few it sounds like. LOL So funny.

Kriket
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

you're right...

Ihave another one

my parents had their bathroom redone with new tile around 1980, it was white with brown marbling, sort of...

anyway, one tile to me distinctly had the word 'sex' printed in brown... once I pointed it out to everyone, they could 'see' it too, actually it was pretty obvious!

None of the other tiles were that way... makes one wonder how they were manufactured, hehehe...

Victoria
  8. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

In rugs, on the vinyl floor, in some crewel work I did, I see Michael Jackson and then it changes to some woman's face. I see that when I'm in bed and looking towards that wall. Then there are other faces I see.

Wonder what that means?

Hugs,
    Faye
  9. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I lie on the couch all day long, and I'm facing the side of an old fake stone fireplace. In the stones, I see a smiling turtle face with one eye winking, a happy sasquatch, an alligator's head, a ribbon tied in a bow, a creepy yet funny ghost head, a squirrel face, a dog... you get the picture.

It's been normal for me as long as I can remember. I remember looking up at my headboard as a child and seeing a strong man from the circus protecting me. :) I don't know if there's anything unusual in it. I think it's just normal for us human beings to look for patterns in things that are random. Otherwise, why would we have invented the ink blot test?

Victoria, that's funny about the tiles! This is OT, but did anyone here see the recent Hulk movie? In the opening credits, the word "Groin!" flashes on the screen for a split second, with other comic book action words like "Pow!" and "Zap!" My family thought I was nuts, but after rewinding the tape three times and going through it frame by frame, they finally found it and could all read it for themselves!

((face it!)) Shannon
  10. Shannonsparkles

Just don't start talking to the faces.
    ((love)) Shannon ;)
    [This Message was Edited on 05/29/2006]
  11. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I am so excited about all the responses and am happy to know I am not the only one who sees faces. I half expected someone to say, no but "I see dead people" like the movie ...LOL. No one has ever mentioned this to me before, so I thought it was just me.

Come to think of it, when I was a child there were curtains on the windows of my bedroom. The pattern on the fabric was different kinds of flowers. I would look at those curtains at night when I was in bed and I would see faces and it would scare me to death!!! Hmmmmm

Shannon, don't worry I haven't talked to the faces...yet!It makes me wonder if those of us with FMS/CFIDS would see the same or similar things in the "inkblot" test.

I remember a few years back when there was a huge advertising campaign for the first Batman movie. It seemed like everywhere you looked you would see the symbol for Batman...circle or oval with a black bat and yellow background. I had to really focus to see the black bat. To me the symbol looked like yellow teeth. I only saw the shape of the yellow background.

Victoria, it sounds like the tile makers were getting kind of naughty.

Thanks everybody for your great responses.

Lola
    [This Message was Edited on 05/30/2006]
  12. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

yes I do, I've always been able to see them since I"ve been a children, someone said they read backwards, I don"t do that but sometimes I pronounce my words bakwards, done that since I"ve been a kid to, My faces I think are my angels. Sixtyslady
  13. naturebaby

naturebaby New Member

I haven't posted a message here in a coon's age, but your post made me feel better, like I'm not alone!

I see faces, too. I see them mostly at night, when I close my eyes before sleep...not always, just sometimes.

I get images of all kinds of different faces, from all times in history. They fade in, come into focus, and fade out again. It's not at all scary, I think it's really interesting and I enjoy it when it happens.

Glad to hear others "see" in the same way! Wishing you well, nature
  14. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

In fact I can't look ar a wall socket without cracking up.Two very wide open scared eyes and a mouth that's saying OOOOOOOOOOOO.I did a drawin in art that had a refrigerator cord(snake) attacking the poor little wall socket!Linda
  15. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I see faces, both human and animal in patterns all the time. How funny I thought it was just me too.

Sincerely
    JL
  16. Denamay

Denamay New Member

It's normal to see faces in odd arrangements. The human brain looks for order or something that makes sense in things like clouds,cloth folds, marks on wallpaper etc. Because faces are so important to us, we zero in on shapes that can be eyes, nose and mouth.

About seeing faces before we go to sleep, also normal: but I can not understand how the brain comes up with such real looking images of people [as far as I know]that we have never seen before.
    Interesting subject. Love from Denamay
  17. victoria

victoria New Member

your response reminds me of when I heard the original recording of the Doors song, "Touch Me", memorable phrase is "im gonna love you, till the........ '

--nice song, ends with a finale of sorts, in which I can clearly hear Jim Morrison saying "Stronger than Dirt" LOL........

but nobody else I know has ever agreed much less heard ANYthing ... and I'm the only one who wasn't doing drugs LOLOL......

anyway I looked it up just now on Google and find out after all these years, YES he did sing it...

I knew it........... I must've had good hearing in certain ranges, LOLOL! Anyone else hear it?

V

18. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I remember when I was little and was out on the couch with the flu or something. Our curtains were floral, but i kept seeing faces in them. Never said a word 'cause I thought everyone would think (know) I was nuts. Now I know I'm not! Well, not for that reason anyway! LOL

God Bless.
  19. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Any more stories?
  20. Shannonsparkles

... once my dad saw a cloud that looked exactly like Cookie Monster hiding behind a lamp post. And he's a "normal"! lol
    (( )) Shannon