Do you sleep when the rest of the world does?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by vinetti23, May 29, 2003.

1. vinetti23

vinetti23 New Member

Im trying to figure something out.

There is an obvious and clear connection between FM and sleep. From what I've read, sleep deprivation = Flare Ups in 90% of the people on this board.

To go one step further, I wanted to talk about circadian rhythms and see when you all sleep naturally - on weeks when you are not impacted by school or work. I naturally sleep from 6 AM to 3 PM. It has been this way since I was 15. I had to painfully force myself to go to high school, college, work...etc... And along the way I missed coutless days, felt tired all the time, and reverted to my 6-3 pattern on every vacation I ever had. During these years, I experienced leg pain (even as early as 12 YO) but never realized it was a precursor to FM. Now, I have full FM in every muscle. However, when I am allowed to drift to my 6-3 schedule, it all goes away. I don't need any meds, my head is clear, I am pain free, and I am happy.

It seems that by trying to force myself to meet the demands of our 8-6 PM society, I have brought this illness upon myself - and I wonder how many more of us may be in this camp. Also, I should note that I have actually worked the "late shift" and felt fine - so it's not the stress from work vs. the freedom of my vacations that is dictating whether or not I have pain. It is simply - am I asleep when my body wants me to be. If the answer is no, my body responds with severe pain - even if I sleep 8-10 hours.

As a sidebar, if one looks at evolution, it would make absolute sense for some members of society to have genes that would create opposite sleep cycles than the majority of society. In a way, it's an adaptive trait since we would be able to get food that would be unavailable during the day...we would be more valuable to the tribe since we could stay up late and keep watch for predators, etc... But post industrial revolution - we are screwed!!
  2. horsegal

horsegal New Member

I used to always be a "night" person. At 10 o'clock I would come to life. Not until I had a baby did that change. I so wanted her to be a morning person who felt great when she awoke at 6 a.m. I forced myself to give in to a better schedule for her and society. Now I like to sleep from 9 p.m. get up at 2 a.m. and about 4 get back to sleep. Well like isn't the word, but since FMS that is a pattern I have. Then I have to get back up at 6!
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Research has shown the average Fibro patient gets her best sleep between 5 and 8 am. "Normals" get their best sleep between 10 and 12 pm (which is why staying up late for long periods can cause burn-out).
    If you do a websearch for Neurotherapy, you should find some stuff on using brain wave machines to change us back to normal. The theory is that we are dragging around all day trying to accomplish things with sleeping brainwaves, but when we close our eyes, our brains go into awake mode....the exact opposite of normals. This is why we lay awake with our brains racing, in spite of being tired. However, docs who are trained to do Neurotherapy are few and far between and it costs a fortune.
    Also, I've seen research which says that 70% of the population can sleep any schedule they need to, but the other 30% will have trouble unless they stick to a particular pattern. Of that 30%, 10% are "larks" and 20% are "owls". Most Fibro folks seem to be "Owls". What irks me about this, is that our society is set up for the "larks" and they are only 10% of the population. Not fair!
    The Director of a Sleep Disorders Clinic told me that most Fibro patients should work second shift, or they will get worse, due to the abnormal circadian rhythms we have. It sounds like in your case, 3rd shift would be best...at least you get great shift differential pay on 3rd shift!
    Klutzo
  4. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

I can get a good 2-3 hours streight in the day but, at night only one or two at a time. As teens we both were what we called night owls. Thoses Delta Alphia waves are a real sleep killer.

Intersting therory, makes sence about different sleep rythums, Kim and Gary

5. tansy

tansy New Member

I used to be a morning person, active throughout the day, more relaxed in the evening and sound asleep during the "normal" hours.

That's changed now. My activity times on my better days fit into those of a night person. If I work against that I suffer for it, so where possible I try to fit my life around it.

There was a post on the board a little while back that said some of our wakeful/sleep cycles matched times when the immune system is more or less active.

Cheers

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 05/29/2003]
  6. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I'm up until about 3-4am and I like it this way....it's not as crowded!

Marilyn :)
  7. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

I sleep when the rest of the world does.........even if they are in a foreign country LOL! I sleep all the time.

I sleep anywhere from 7 pm to 5am on weekdays (have to work)
    Weekends I sleep 9 pm to 7am and then sleep 3 or 4 hours in the afternoon.

That seems to be all I do during me free time.
  8. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

praying for you Pacman
  9. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Untill I started taking ZMA. I always managed on about 3-4 hours of sleep a night. Mostly from 3am till 7am. But was not tired all day untill about 8 years ago.

I did most of my sewing, reading and even cooking at night. That gave me a longer day than the 'normals'!

Now I am sleeping from about 12 or 1am till 9am, but am not fully functional untill about 11am!

But I am thankful that my three children do sleep pretty well. My daughter is one of the 'larks' she goes to bed at 9pm and wakes at 5am. Her and I do run into problems when she wants to go somewhere in what I call the 'wee hours'. I can't be ready before 12noon unless its an emergency, then I am not quite there for hours, just my body is present.

I believe that the correct way of sleeping and waking is like the time goes, I came from a family that were farmers, they went to bed at dark and was up before daylight.

As for myself, I love being awake at night, but we can't always do what we want.

I am just one of those who never slept according to the correct way of sleeping and waking.

Shalom, Shirl

10. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

Hi,
    I have never been a morning person and have always
    had to drag myself out of bed.
    My sleep pattern for the past 10 or so months
    has been horrid. I sleep anywhere from
    between 5 -10 am until 4-5 pm. I hate it.
    I cannot sleep. I wake up a lot, too. Can't
    fall asleep either.

When I had more normal sleep patterns (while
    taking growth hormone supplements) I slept
    a more normal pattern. However, I had to take
    three hour naps in the daytime.

If I had my way, I would sleep 24 hours a day.
    Having more trouble sleeping lately. There
    have been times when I would sleep at 1 am
    until 2 pm. I do not ever feel like I am refreshed no
    matter how much "sleep" I get.

Lynn
  11. Simcha

Simcha New Member

If more people could sleep when their circadian rhythm was set instead of following the "Early to bed" system, many of us would be better off.
    I was up, wide awake, at 3:00 AM this morning (restless legs) and slept in today until 11:00! I feel great!
    Now, as evening comes, I begin to get anxious- will I sleep? Will I get painful legs? Yuk Yuk Yuk.
    Thanks for validating my "owl" status.
  12. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I slept 3-4 hours a night for several years. I started sleeping pretty well in early 2002 and am still doing okay. I can't sleep over 7 hours though....never!

Marilyn :)
  13. Dara

Dara New Member

after the sun comes up. At night I seem to perk up as soon as it starts getting dark. No matter how much sleep I get, I'm always fatigued. At night, when I fall asleep, I always wake up within an hour, sometimes less. I think I have always hated going to bed because I knew how much I was going to hurt when I woke up.

Dara
  14. ifuwouldjust

ifuwouldjust New Member

Dara,

I am right there with you hun. And if I sleep during the day, I sleep so deep that I don't hear the phone.

Ciao
  15. kalina

kalina New Member

and I live in Texas. I wish I could sleep earlier, but it's so hard to make myself go to bed when I feel at my best late at night! When I wake up in the mornings ... or early afternoons, I feel like a zombie.

I used to have terrible insomnia, but I sleep like a rock now with my meds. Sometimes I sleep a little TOO well and have a hard time waking up.

Kalina
  16. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

I am a morning person.I usually sleep when my son does,but I am usually up by 2:30 AM every morning.I normally can sleep more than 6 hours.It is a miracle if I can force myself to sleep 7.
  17. goingslowlycrazy

goingslowlycrazy New Member

I felt at my best when I was working permanent night duty.

I did it for six months, seven nights on and seven off. I always felt great while I was working and couldn't understand why the other nurses complained up 'their body clocks being messed up' and not being able to sleep during the day, and 'bodily function problems'.

I had none of that and slept like a baby and woke up feeling refreshed....felt awful on my days off though LOL

Last week, my sleep pattern was from 11pm until 2pm the next day and I still woke up feeling tired. Now, I'm going into an insomniac phase (which is the worst....)

Another thing I have noticed is that when I am in 'long sleeping mode', I suffer from feeling cold much of the time.

Now that I am having trouble getting to sleep, I am having ferocious night sweats....must be a connection somewhere..
    Good theory....

hugs
    Mary x
  18. ifuwouldjust

ifuwouldjust New Member

If I am in a long sleeping mode, I am always cold too.

19. vinetti23

vinetti23 New Member

I remember learning in a bio class I took about circadian rhythms that in mammals, body temp is lower at night and goes up when the animal is more awake (humans & hamsters were most commonly studied).

Awakeness in humans (as measured by a survey) correlated directly to body temp (which ranges over the day from 98.2 to 98.9 degrees F). So I think what might be going on w/ you is your body really wants to be asleep - and thats why you feel cold.

That's also why a lot of people feel really cold in the morning (even people w/o sleep disorders) because their body still thinks it should be asleep and the body temperature is still on the low side. I remember driving to school in the summer w/ the heat on in my car in the morning... and then driving home thinking - What the hell.. It's 100 degrees!!
  20. scottsworry

scottsworry New Member

My best sleep is between 5 and 8 am. I wake my husband up at 5:30 and then crash. When school is in I have to get up and function early. This can make for a bad pain day. Now that summer is here I can go back to sleep and awake a 9am for a much better day.
    Do they know why we sleep better then?

Thanks for letting me I am not alone!