Do you sometimes feel worse after a nap? (or sleeping)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by praisingHim, Apr 18, 2003.

1. praisingHim

praisingHim New Member

Hi everyone. Just wondering if sometimes you feel worse after a nap, or after sleeping in general. If I take a nap in the afternoons, I sometimes wake up very groggy and nauseated. I also have these same symptoms in the morning. It takes me a good hour to feel functioning in the morning. Does anyone know what causes this? I sleep okay at night, but wake up hardly able to get out of bed, but once I get up and going, I feel some better. Can anyone relate?
  2. healing

healing New Member

this is one reason why I rarely take naps, even though I always "hit the wall" around 1:30 in the afternoon. I choose to slog through my low moments rather than take a nap that will leave me feeling drugged, snarly and unable to function for a good long while.
  3. Notonline

Notonline New Member

Yep, I don't nap because I only feel worse if I do!! Hubby can nap, wake up refreshed and ready to take on the world again...I wake up groggy, crabby, and feeling sick to my stomach. Refreshing it is definately not. Takes me ages to get the fuzz from my head in the morning...
  4. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I agree with all of you! Takes me an hour to get moving in the morning which requires doing Tai Chi. Rarely ever take naps cause I know I'll feel worse if I do.
  5. Cara-Sue

Cara-Sue New Member

i wish i could nap cause i get reallydragged out about 1 or 2 in the afternoon.all of a sudden it's like major tiredness.but i don't nap becouse for one i cant get to sleep,and two if i did fall asleep i sleep so lightly that it really ist worth it.plus if i over sleep i wake up with a headache.i think that i will go for a short walk next time that happens to see if it will help
    good luck
  6. Spoonerpaws

Spoonerpaws New Member

I am so glad you said this

YES! I usually feel worse after napping, so I just try to lay down for awhile

I have no idea why this is

B4 FMS, I used to nap and wake up feeling great. NOW, I feel just awful

What the heck is this WEIRD symptom?
  7. 600

600 New Member

This has been my problem for many years,not sure what causes it. Also,I can,t expose myself to any kind of allergens early ,or they blow my whole day away. As always, the later it gets the better I function!
  8. praisingHim

praisingHim New Member

Thanks for all your replies. Sounds like lots of us feel worse after a nap, but we do not know the cause. Maybe it has something to do with our sleep cycle?
  9. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have to take naps/rest after most of the general household chores, gardening, sweeping, mopping etc. But I do feel worst if I fall asleep. Its the same feeling I have in the morning.

I wish someone would figure this one out, I would love to know what causes it and how to avoid it.

The mornings, I can get 'going' by drinking a strong cup of coffee, but I can't do this during the day. It will interfere with my sleep at night.

Let me know if anyone finds a solution to this dilemma!

Shalom, Shirl
    [This Message was Edited on 04/21/2003]
  10. pearls

pearls New Member

I used to just bound out of bed in the morning. Now the only thing that makes me want to get up is some part of me hurting too much to stay in bed. Since I usually do hurt after a night's sleep, I'm up fairly early most mornings anyway, but not without creakiness.

But the afternoons and the evenings! Oh, my! If I fall asleep, I feel terrible when I wake up. It takes me a really long time to get back into some kind of liveable shape.

In the evening, I seem to be better off if I get up out of my chair after dinner and do some computer work or housework. If I stay in my easy chair, I will go to sleep. Then I wake up every few minutes, moan and groan (and feel worse than I sound), and go back to sleep again for another few minutes. This is torture!

If I avoid going to sleep, then I can have a less unpleasant evening (notice the difference between THAT turn of phrase rather than "a more pleasant evening") before I shower. Then I have time to go to bed and read a bit before turning out the light. This seems to prepare me for what I hope will be sleep than does the 'moan and groan' routine. The only with this is that when I'm really beat, which is often, it's so difficult to get up so I can avoid it!

An afternoon nap in my easy chair is okay if it only lasts ten minutes or so. Any longer than that and I'm toast! Then I'm grumpy, feel like death-warmed-over, and take forever and a day to feel like I can cope. That's why I don't nap oven...unless I go with my husband fishing.

Now, THAT's another matter altogether. I don't fish, so I usually nap quite a bit on these trips. For some reason, I seem to be able to nap in the boat - - even though the sleeping accomodations are not comfortable at all - - with many fewer repercussions of the kind previously described. Now why is THAT?! I can't say the same thing for sleeping in the boat at night, though. I FEAR that very much. Then I know I can't just get up if I hurt without a lot more trouble than it is at home.

-Pearl
    [This Message was Edited on 04/23/2003]