DO YOU SPLURDGE?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mrpain, Jul 11, 2006.

1. mrpain

mrpain New Member

Most of us who has had fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, or other similar diseases, for a long while, are watching what they eat and are trying to be as healthy as possible.

We search out treatments, doctors, supplements, vitamins, and medicines in an effort to improve our way of living.
    We rest, try to sleep, exercise if and when possible, and do whatever we hear is working for someone, in hopes it will do the same for us.

But do you ever splurdge? I'm just curious. This isn't an earth shaddering post with brilliant information that will knock your socks off like stormyskye can write. She's brilliant!

I'm just talking about treating yourself to something that in reality, we should never eat. When I'm feeling good, I want to go eat some bar-b-que meat with baked beans, french fries, cole slaw, garlic bread, and some sweet tea. And I seem to do dumb stuff like that around holidays also.

But I know I will end up paying for it in the long run and feel terrible afterwards. So am I the only one that does this. Hopefully your smarter, but I've got a feeling there's somebody like me. I'll even splurdge on a big Rib-eye steak, with all the above mentioned... Well I'll quit and I'm sorry I wasted your time when you could have been reading something worthwhile, but I was in one of those moods. Good night all!
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

I wold think the vast majority of people do, albeit some may do it secretly. Most of us are only human, and anyway, tomorrow is another day. Or am I just an optimist, lol?

The longest I was ever perfect was 3 years, didn't even have a piece of chocolate (my major passion). Felt pretty good too altho still had crashes, but got some lasting effects -- an occasional splurge after that never had repercussions. It does pay to be good.

I still stick to a good diet, but not quite as 'good'. Not sure if it's age or fatigue with everything? But I don't really seem to see a correlation either to fatigue for me - tends to be more because of overdoing. (I have cfids, not fm)

all the best,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 07/12/2006]
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

YES, I MOST CERTAINLY DO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I splurdge all the time! In fact, way too much!

I do it even though I know I shouldn't, especially because I am a diabetic, but there is something inside me that just makes me do it!! I know this is not funny for me, it's serious, but I have such a bad sweet tooth that I am drawn to everything sweet that is not good for me, and I can't resist. I have zero willpower.

Sometimes, I even sit myself down and have a good talking to me, but even that doesn't work!!!!! LOL

Well, it's 2:30 am and I have to go to bed, too, so good night all!

Hope everyone has a better day tomorrow!

Love and Hugs,
    Janet

P.S. Since tomorrow (Thursday, July 13th) is your birthday, I hope you splurdge with a big steak dinner, followed by some cake and ice cream!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This Message was Edited on 07/11/2006]
  4. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

I call it survival. As a matter of fact I did an act of survival just last night. Brownies. ( my grandkids were here) ahum

I really do try to watch my diet. I try to eat healthy and have done pretty good with it. But I believe that if I don't have some of the things I love every now and then, I will not make it.

Jodi
  5. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong with bar-b-q meat, baked beans, fries, cole slaw and yum, garlic bread.

That's one of my favorite meals!!!!!

There is nothing I won't eat, unless I don't care for it.

All things in moderation...

Nancy B.
  6. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Mmmmmm... delicious memories comming back to me.

For about two years I ate nothing but canned fruit and meat. I couldn't even eat a leaf of lettuce, taste of peanut butter or bite of zucchini without plunging off the edge of the planet for several days. Every day I watched my dad and brother eating whatever the heck they wanted, and mourned my lost culinary avocation. Cooking was my greatest love and passion before I lost the use of my ingredients.

One day, dad brough home some fresh grocery store cookies and left them on the kitchen counter. Then he went to bed. They smelled like brownies. Every time I went into the kitchen, I reverently picked up the box smelled them.

The ingredients weren't on the lable, and that's what tipped it. I didn't stop to think what all could be in them. I just broke off a piece and ate it. Then I took the cookie to the couch, sat down, and started eating it very slowly. At that moment, I felt Normal!

I eat mostly fish, fruit and goatmilk - every day. Today I caught myself praying before a meal, "Dear Lord, thank you for this same piece of fish again -" It's that monotonous! lolololol

I splurge on maple caramel now and then. That's maple syrup boiled in the microwave with a lump of butter stirred in. The other thing I treat myself with is buttered popcorn. If I'm feeling especially deprived, I get a can of chilli or a few slices of pizza. Not good, I know. But I need to do it once in a while just to feel human. Chocolate is another favorite. It gives me headaches though, so I use it seldom and stay away from dark chocolate in particular.

I wish we could all get together for a splurge buffet tonight! I think I would have... oh, mashed potatoes and gravey and turkey... It's hard for me to care about food the way that I used to, because it's all "same old" these days. But that gets my stomach growling! Mrpain, this is the funnest post I've read tonight, and brought back a lot of good memories.
    ((food!!!!!)) Shannon
  7. onlythestrong

onlythestrong New Member

You bet I do,the way I look at things is I'm only going to live once and I want to do it to the fullest!
    I may pay later but what the heck......
    Hugs,
    Mary
  8. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Hi,
    Yes, I do splurge, although I keep my splurges small (all of my meals are snack size, except when I go out).

I splurge on major holidays, with a hot dog or a hamburger, and I splurge on my birthday with a piece of chocolate cake. I have a mini party for the Oscars and the Emmys,wich might consist of a plate of brown rice psta and non'alcoholic wine.

I learned a long time ago, that if one doesn't splurge a little on days of celebration, they they will feel deprived, and unconciously sneak more than they would have splurged on.

Anyway, what fun is there in being good all of the time? Life doesn't have to be that serious.

Rock on!!
    Terry
  9. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I am splurging on ice cream right now or peah or blackberry cobbler. and yes I spend way too much money on stuff for my horse! Lynn
  10. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I splurge every weekend. I have a terrible sweet tooth and in order to control it I promise myself through the week (whenever I face the craving for sweets)to hold off for the weekend. It keeps me sugar-free 5/7 of the time :)
    God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  11. TAM

TAM New Member

HI,
    YES I have to say that I do, there is'nt a whole lot I enjoy eating so when I want that something bad I go for it. I tend to want sweet things like icecream I'm a vegetarian, however I will eat cheese skim milk and eggwhites. I just do'nt eat meat, nothing at all agianst people eating meat, MY SON LOVES MEAT. IT JUST IS'NT MY CUP OF TEA. I do splurge, shame on me huh!