Do you still walk with a stride? I don't

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bozey, Sep 18, 2005.

1. bozey

bozey New Member

I use to walk with a stride but now it's like baby steps, being afraid I'll trip over something. But more because of the pain in my hips and knees. I miss walking normal with a bounce in my step. I'm sure just my walk makes me look old. I notice too that I watch how other people walk now that I've noticed my own walk. Do you notice this about yourself too? Just curious.

bozey
  2. Suzan

Suzan New Member

Like an old person..or a sick person ( guess I am that huh?)
    There are days when it is better..and times of day when it is always worse. But,it is probably one of the more obvious symptoms I have. A couple years ago..my Dh asked, why are you walking like that??? I said..because it HURTS! Now he just uses that as a cue to see how I am doing! I seem to ALWAYS start out looking like I can barely walk...but if it is just stiffness...I look more normal after a few minutes of walking around..if it is due to pain...well..then I just look OLD!
  3. chp1298

chp1298 New Member

At work I am always getting comments as to why I am limping.I tell them it takes a few steps for me to get going and they look at me like I am crazy. I am only 45, there is one lady that just snickers. If they only knew????
  4. KJ2003

KJ2003 New Member

In the morning, when I take my husband to work, it is hard to for me to get around due to lower back pain. I have to take it slow.

When I get home from taking him to work, I take my meds, do some stretchs and by the time I get out of the bath tub, I feel much better.

As far as how I walk during the day, it really depends on what kind of day I am having. If my pain is under control then, yes, I walk with my head held high and stride the whole day through. But if I am overwhelmed by pain, even if its in my upper back (like it has been lately), I'm much slower and it shows all over my face.

Chin up,

Kim
  5. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Just tell them it's rheumatism. It is, it's just a gross oversimplification. But people seem to get awfully "simple" when we tell them what it really is. People tend to immediately get that one.

Jeanne
  6. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

my knees give out.I would fall.the walker helps a little.Linda
  7. Mareeok

Mareeok New Member

...walking into a store and then watch me walking out of the store they'd think I was two different people. I walk stiff legged. If the pain is more in my back I walk with my lower back pushed in and up. It's the only way I could get from the store to the car in bearable pain. I don't walk with a stride anymore. I'm so glad when I don't have back pain I'm extra careful when I feel good 'cause it wont last long.
  8. orachel

orachel New Member

symptoms...don't like to do it, but I'm sure we all do from time to time. Hubby had horrific long day at wrk, you're dying pain, but try to act as "normal" as possible so not to cause distress, etc...

I simply cannot walk normally due to extreme pain (we're talking 7-9 avg on pain scale...when resting 90% of the time (not sleeping...just taking it VERY easy and limiting my activity to the point of being able to accomplish very very little on my own. I hobble, sometimes knees seem to draw towards each other, awful...just awful. I was told pain in Bursa in hip is bad for me (duh...i also have bursitis, so I get that explains it for me! lol)so I let a rheumy who I don't see anymore give me trigger pt injections straight into the hip (not good, but not nearly as bad as the 12 shots around the spine! OYYUYYY! Unfortunately, I got max 1-5 days of the tiniest bit of relief as to be noticeable. No change in condition at all.

So, I hobble like a 108 yr old woman. It is embarassing, but I'm pretty much thru making apologies for FM to anyone. I'm trying to decide now whether a cane or a walker (sheesh! I'm 30 years old, for pity's sake! Cane is a huge step for me! Scary!) would allow me to "normalize" my walking. I've done major research and all of the hunching and walking funny and weirdo positions we tend to use to get comfy are actually pretty dangerous to our continued wellness as we begin to improve....big cycle. By walking funny, put too much stress on other muscles and some of the unused ones can get deconditioned. That's only reason I'm even considering a cane at 30 yrs old.....
  9. allie42

allie42 Guest

Hi Jeanne:

I loved your answer! How right you are!
  10. meinpain

meinpain New Member

It's been so long since I had bounce in my step, I had to try to remember what it was like. Yes, daily I'm reminded of my own inabilities, in just how I walk or hold myself. I used to have a more regal posture. Now I slump, and hobble everywhere. I recently noticed my shadow as it was produced from our porch light onto the door. I couldn't believe the old woman protrayed in that shadow (I'm 49) I tried very hard to "pull" myself up into a better posture, but because of the pain, could not.

11. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

I'm 35 and last year I resorted to using a cane... It's not fun and the first few times you use it, you feel like people are looking at you funny(coz they are). Thankfully, I've have improvments over the last year and I only have to use it once in a while now.

Walking into work for the first time with it was very difficult, the questions came flying at me- I decided on a very simple answer. "Oohh, I've been sick for a while now, sometimes it's really hard for me to get around"- I just sorta leave it at that, my close friends know how I struggle and just don't care what strangers in the grocery store think.

I too used to walk with my head high, confident with a little strut to my step. Shake my booty a little.. but not anymore.. I creep- that's what my 8 yr old says.. Mumma, your just creepin' along.. Yup!
  12. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Every several weeks I have a good day, and find myself walking with a bounce, and then realize how rare it is that I do that. I miss it, the feeling of energy and stamina while walking.

Mary