Do you suffer anxiety

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shazzy, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering how many of you have a anxiety problem?

If so, How do you control it or what have you found best works for you?

My dr insists in only using anti-depressant as the answer. So far not a answer.

shazzy

[This Message was Edited on 04/26/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 04/26/2003]
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When not even therapy could help my anxiety, my psychologist recommended I take the Klonopin I had read about. All my anxiety and panic attacks disappeared, so we knew it was physiological and not psychological in nature.

Dr. Cheney's article in our library on Klonopin does a really good job of explaining why we have anxiety, sleep problems, RLS, and sensory overload.

The Klonopin has been a God send for me. Some cannot tolerate it. Neurontin is another choice of medication for this.

Love, Mikie
  3. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I`ve had a horrible time with anxiety since I was a teen. I also had a bad social phobia. It was hard but I`ve come a long way overcoming it. I like Mikie, take the klonapin and it works so well on any type of anxiety.
    I am very calm now and have my anxiety under control thanks to this drug.

We just had a simuliar post on this topic about a week ago. Lots of people said that they had alot of touble with anxiety. It was a connect-the-dots moment for me because I never put the Fm and anxiety together before that.
  4. mcmarsha

mcmarsha New Member

I'm not sure if what I am experiencing is anxiety or something else. I constantly feel like I'm grabbing a live wire. All the muscles in my body are as tense and rigid as they can be. Is this what you all mean by anxiety. If not, please explain so I can look for a better word to describe my symptom to my doctor.

Thanks,
    Marsha
  5. tannat

tannat New Member

I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks. The only thing so far that has helped at all is Effexor. I hate taking meds for anything, but after going off all my meds (effexor, celexa, celexa, and seraquil), I had to go back to the Effexor. I am only taking 150mg a day now and it seems to be controling the worst of it.

Tanna
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

In Fibro, the sympathetic "fight-or-flight" side of our nervous system is turned on all the time, causing anxiety.
    Luvox is probably the best antidepressant for stopping panic attacks, but some others will work for some folks as well. I am not a fan of antidepressants.
    I cannot take Klonopin, which I think is the best for this, so I take Xanax,which has a short half-life and should be dosed every five hrs. otherwise it can cause panic attack rebounds.
    If you can get by without meds, GABA ,sold at health food stores is also helpful. It is the natural form of Neurontin. I take it and it helps me keep my Xanax dose lower.
    Klutzo
  7. jstbrznby

jstbrznby New Member

I never related it to this either, I have had so many other issues I just thought I was getting weak hearted!
    I have had great luck with Zanax the Klonipin never help much in the beginning as I have such a nervous stomach and was so sick most of the time the Zanax for some reason helped with that. Now though the Klonipin is working. I was taking 5 a day of Zanex for a long time til I got a little better then I almost stopped them now I don't seem to use them a whole lot but I try to stick with the Klonipin as my Pain Man Dr. says it has pain properties that the Zanex doesn't have. Sorry, if this wasn't any help, just thought I would let you know another take on the med side of life.

Take CAre, hope what ever you do is workign for you!
    Hugs....Pam2
  8. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Hi,

Thanks for your information about anxiety.

I am presently trying to come of diazepam. I was put on it after a bad instant at xmas but was only meant to be on it for 2 weeks.

Is diazpepam same sort of drug as xanax or klonipin. Here in the uk the are never keen to give you these drugs for more than a couple of weeks because of the addictiveness.
    Hence why my 2 weeks with diazepam is now 4 months and it is going to take me 3 months to come off them slowly.

shazzy
  9. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

diazepam is also known as Valium, also in the same family as ativan, and it's what they call a benzodiazepine tranquilizer, I haven't had much luck with any of them.

I currently take the Xanax, but just once in awhile when it's Stressful here with my Family and Hubby's family.

I take it once in awhile to help with sleep, but I get that druged feeling, and I only take a half right now, I have stepped down from a whole tab.
    My D-I-L use's Valerian, a lot of the folks here do, so try typing that into the search box for previous posts, that might help too.
    Hope that helps and Have a Great Sunday,
    sharon
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Which is an antiseizure med is a benzo in the same family as Vallium, a tranquilizer. Klonopin is not addictive and many have taken it for years. One does build a physical dependence on it and if it is stopped, the patient must very slowly wean off of it. The nice thing about Klonopin is that few build a physical tolerance to it and many stay on the same dose for years.

Many docs prefer Neurontin because they don't feel patients become as physically dependent on it, but they seem to build a tolerance and often have to increase their dose.

Love, Mikie
  11. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

My anxiety level is so high at times that I can't be out in public. Yesterday when I went shopping, I got so stressed and anxious I was making myself afraid to be driving. I thought my anxiety problem had went away. Well, I guess I found out I was wrong.
  12. layinglow

layinglow New Member

I had terrible sensory overload, and social phobia--that would throw me into anxiousness.

After speaking with Mikie many months ago, and hearing of the relief she got with Klonopin, I asked my Doctor to let me give it a try.

I have been on it about 6 months now--and am so glad that I began taking it.

It has alleviated sensory overload, anxiety, social phobia, restless leg syndrome, also I had myclonic jerking--now eased, and if it flares I take a dose of Klonopin. It has also helped my racing brain, allowing me to go to sleep.

Best wishes,
    LL
  13. Dara

Dara New Member

They used to be so bad that I would not drive on any freeway, bridge, or anything I wasn't familiar with. My doctor prescribed Alprazolam (Zanax) for me. I take .5 mg and now I usually just break them in half. After I got accustomed to driving on the freways & bridges, now I don't have to take the Zanax for that. I think what I would do to myself was I would think about it first, hence, give myself an anxiety attack without even getting in the car. I do still take the Zanax for anxiety, but it's nothing like it was before.

Dara
  14. idiotsinc

idiotsinc New Member

I've been taking 10mg Buspar twice a day. Very few side effects. Only problem I've had is with over the counter decongestants and other allergy/cold pills (Coricidan etc), they keep me awake. The only ones I can take are Benadryl (just before bedtime) and Alavert (like Claritan, not Claritan D which has a decongestant). Another problem is with heartburn meds like pepcid ac. There's alot of meds like these that work with the receptors in the brain and screws up the meds that are for anxiety etc. Unfortunately they don't tell you this on the package.

Bob
  15. kmelodyg

kmelodyg New Member

Shazzy,

I have definatly had my share of problems with anxiety attacks since I was about 17. I am currently taking Paxil which seems to help me so far. I have only been on it a couple of weeks, so it's hard to tell. I mostly get them when I am in crowded places, while driving, or eating in public or from taking caffeine. And I haven't been able to do those things because of my physical problems, so I can't really test it out yet. I have tried other antidepressants with no luck. So, I guess the best thing to do is to keep trying different ones until you can find one that works for you. Good luck!

Love,
    Kathryn
  16. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

yes, I have anxiety attacks alot, especially at bedtime. I take a Traxene 7.5 Mg at bedtime every night with very good results and half the dose under my tongue if I have one during the day. dolsgirl
  17. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Thank folks for your info on answers to anxiety.

Found it interesting and useful.

Shazzy
  18. donna13210

donna13210 Member

Also see my post titled "Please Help Me...Unable to Relax" dated 4/21/03.

Many members gave me TONS of suggestions for anxiety and nervousness. I didn't realize the anxiety was related to FMS! The responses were very enlightening.

Good Luck! (to both of us!) LOL
    Donna

19. dd

dd New Member

I have suffered from panic attacks since I was 20...I am now 39. They can be very debilitating to say the least. My panic attacks have kept me housebound at times. I am now in therapy for the attacks and it seems to be helping a great deal. I have been able to get out of the house more and do some of the things that I've been missing out on...providing my CFS and FM aren't acting up that day.

I take Xanax for the panic attacks. I have been on it for years. I am not sure how much it really helps the anxiety anymore but it certainly helps the muscle and body aches.

Peace,

Debbie