Do you suffer Upper Back pain ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Feb 17, 2006.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi group~
    Just wanted to see if many others here have/get bad upper backaches??
    Kinda feels like a cold settled in there.
    Very achy and kinda stiff and sore all above the shoulder blades and into the shoulder blade area.
    My neck is ok. !!!! wow! one spot that does'nt hurt! LOL ssssshhhhh~ I don't wanna jinx myself.

Does anything help this area?? like heat or any rubs/topical creams?
    Its a lil scarey cause it makes you think heart troubles,..or I don't know,..? lungs?
    yuk!
    Thanks for reading
    Hugs
    Tandy
  2. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Tandy,
    Hi.
    I use moist heat on my upper back pain. I got a pack from the drug store . You just put it in the microwave for 2 minutes, and then use it. Mine is about a foot square. I just love it!

I'm sorry your back is so painful. I hope you feel better soon.

Hugs,
    Terry
  3. leubie

leubie New Member

HEY Tandy, I guess you have fibro-- i think--am pretty sure the area you are referring to is part of the tender points. I use the heating pad all the time, and anew product(new to me) called boi-freeze. This helps alot-also hot showers!!! I also have to take my pain meds and muscle relaxers.. Take Care, Laura .....p.s. aleeve helps too!
  4. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi Tandy...this is one of my worst areas. Some suggestions would be:

1. Warm baths...soaking with epsom salts, or just warm/hot water with a good book!

2. Creams....024 Fibromyalgia...strong smelling, but effective for me in pain reduction. Also, Tiger Balm is good (Costco carries this...there are different strengths).

3. Baclofen (10 mg) is a muscle relaxant which really helps me. I take it as needed or up to 3X/day.

4. Exercise! If I feel good enough, this would be #1! I walk or work out on the elliptical, treadmill or bicycle at the gym. I ALWAYS feel better after working out! I give myself the flexibility to go real slow if I need to, and find that I feel better as I go along and want to speed up. I pump the music on my walkman and go to it!! Exercise for me is a huge mental health boost for my depression.

5. You mentioned heat...I have 3 Thermaphore heating pads around the house permanently living on chairs. Heat is great for relief or as a start to exercise.

Good luck...I could really relate when you mentioned shoulder blade pain. Blessings, Ann
  5. abgranny

abgranny New Member

I have the same problem. went to chiropractor and with 1 treatment was pain free for 10 mo. just had to go back this week cause i started hurting again. I have about 4 vertabrae that stay tender and the pain radiates out under my shoulder blade. It is a constant dull ache. I hope I get the same results as before. Muscle relaxants and heating pad helps also. After the chiropractor did the adjustment he rubbed the area with biofreeze which felt good but you can't put to much on or it burns to bad.

GOD'S BLESSING TO YOU
    AUDREY

6. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Around the upper back/shoulders/neck area is my main pain and my low back is also my main pain areas.

We are having to turn the heat back to 62 at night and it can get really cold in the house. Our natural gas bill as it is, is like the national debt. lol Wish I had the computer pointed in the other direction as it puts heat out. lol

Anyway, if I was on Windows, I'd be in the back of the Mac and have that hot air blowing on my back. Boy would that feel good now.

I've never used any of the topical creams or anything.

From opening windows yesterday I had a spasm in my shoulder blade area. I only opened 4 windows but it was 70 yesterday. Going to be like in the 40's or 30's tomorrow with possibility of snow. :(

Yeah, Tandy, it is the same pain as I used to get from gastroparesis and stomach problems and it makes you think it is heart related, but it isn't. I just had to take a pain pill because my area is hurting so badly.

Both my husband and I crash after dinner and sleep a lot of nights for a couple of hours. Then I wake up with acid indigestion from laying down right after dinner. :(

Hope you feel better, hon. FMS is a pain in rear end. lol

Hugs,
    Faye--freezing in Virginia now <:3 )~~ (that is supposed to be a mouse)
  7. tandy

tandy New Member

So very much~
    I hate to say it but,.... Its nice not being alone!!
    I think it is just another part of Fibro.
    But just wanted to see if its common,and get some ideas on pain relief.

This place is fast! this was onto page 3 already!!

Even just having that spot/area of my back touching a chair when I'm sitting,..agravates it! The center is very tender today~ But I did manage 6 hrs of sleep last night~
    Gotta grab some epsom salts. They have helped in the past.
    Thanks everyone,..your perfect gems!
    Blessings
    Tandy

8. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I'm not here on the weekends so I just saw your post today. I, too, have the upper back pain, including the shoulder blades. I also have pain in my neck-my worst area. I have tried alternating a heating pad with ice packs. On my worst days when I have to leave the house, I sometimes put on a thermapack. Wish they weren't so expensive, but I get them on sale and also use coupons.

Ellen
  9. rockindee

rockindee New Member

Hello from Va, Faye I just knew that was where you were from by the weather you were describing. I am in Bedford Co. and suffer so much. Most of my pain is in upper back shoulders, neck, lower back, and of course all the underskin muscle knots all over.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/20/2006]