Do you take a probiotic? Maybe you shouldn't....read this

Discussion in 'News and Research' started by sunflowergirl, Aug 26, 2018.

1. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Too many people take the same probiotic supplement day in and day out instead of using different strains and changing them up every week or so. They also tend to take high doses which then throws off the microbiome balance within the body.
  3. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth) can be a problem for some, but I have never experienced it despite taking lots of probiotics. Fortunately, it is treatable if one does experience it.

I think it is important to remember that many people have developed a big imbalance in their gut bacteria and intestinal permeability (leaky gut) due to taking antibiotics, other meds including ibuprofen, birth control pills and many other, the awful toxin-filled standard American diet, stress and more.

High quality probiotics can be crucial for healing leaky gut and restoring balance in the gut when our good gut bacteria has been destroyed.

Good probiotics can be found in home made fermented foods (using the sea salt method to make them, not vinegar and sugar), kefir, kombucha, and probiotic capsules and powder. Prebiotics are important also.

I found that cheap store bought probiotics did not work for me. I have used a variety of higher quality ones with much success. One very good one that I use is Probiotic Extreme 50 Billion, found here at the ProHealth store.

The study says that probiotic use "...can result in a significant accumulation of bacteria in the small intestine...", but that doesn't mean that it will.

If one has gut dysbiosis and/or leaky gut, one must consider the importance of healing from those conditions.

Gut dysbiosis and leaky gut can lead many long-term health problems, including autoimmune diseases.

All the experts on a week-long autoimmune summit that I watched online said that everyone who has developed an autoimmune disease has leaky gut and must heal from that in order to reverse symptoms.

I took antibiotics for a long time for persistent Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases. High quality probiotics have been a life saver for me.

The following article by Amy Myers, MD, a functional medicine doctor, explains what SIBO is and what the symptoms are:

https://www.amymyersmd.com/2018/04/10-signs-small-intestinal-bacterial-overgrowth-sibo/

In the next article, she explains what the best probiotics are for SIBO:

https://www.amymyersmd.com/2018/02/soil-based-probiotics-best-sibo/

If one does have symptoms of SIBO, it is also important to address them to restore balance in the gut since our gut health affects everything in our bodies.
    bct likes this.
  4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I believe that they will discover in the future that ME/CFS for a lot of us will be down to our gut bacteria being out of balance. Or in some cases, important bacteria that we need will be missing. I have said all along that I did not have ME until three days after starting on Penicillin.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

DD tells me that researchers now believe that prebiotics, like sauer kraut and pickles, are even more important than probiotics. It's hard to find sauer kraut that is made the old fashioned way and contain prebiotics. Any fermented food is good as is taking some vinegar each day.

Love, Mikie
  6. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

I find great fresh sauerkraut at Trader Joe's and also Sprouts carries some good ones. One just has to search their market in the refrigerated section. I enjoy the saurkraut....not at all like the awful canned stuff. Hey Mikie.......you know me....a big proponent of taking some vinegar for an upset stomach. Feel much better about 30 min. Afterwards. I tried getting my teenagers to take a little for an upset stomach....they all rebelled until my grown son told me he uses it now....HA! But then he did try some pickle juice when he was younger.
    bct likes this.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Sun,

Unfortunately, I can't stand the smell of vinegar but do believe in the benefits.

Love, Mikie
  8. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Mikie, Sauerkraut is a probiotic. The same with pickles. However, you have to be sure to buy the refrigerated 'unpasteurized' kind as the unrefrigerated off the shelf ones are pasteurized, and, therefore, all of the beneficial bacteria gets killed off in the process. Also cooking Sauerkraut in a recipe will also kill off the good bacteria so you want to eat it straight out of the jar.

Vinegar isn't so good for those of us with acid reflux as the acidic vinegar actually activates pepsin that has refluxed and makes symptoms much worse. :(
    bct likes this.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, TL,

I have reflux and don't take vinegar. I agree that sauerkraut is a probiotic but researchers often refer to them as prebiotics. You are correct about their not being pasteurized because that's the only way to benefit from the fermentation. Reflux sucks! I have a hiatal hernia so I live with the reflux nonstop. Whine, whine, whine!

Love, Mikie