Do you take Provigil for fibromyalgia?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by abbylee, Dec 7, 2005.

1. abbylee

abbylee New Member

I talked with someone the other day who has fibro and she says that she's been taking Provigil and it has made a huge difference in how she feels.

She says that her fibromyalgia pain is much better and she has very little daytime sleepiness.

If you have fms and you are taking Provigil, please tell me if it has helped you.

Thank you so much...........

abbylee
    [This Message was Edited on 12/07/2005]
  2. mrsED

mrsED New Member

I actually saw on this site that some were taking Provigil.
    It is a med used in chemotherapy patients to help increase their energy. I asked my Dr. about it and he thought it would be worth a try since lack of energy is one of my worst symptoms with this FM. I am taking a low dose of 100mg about 10 am. It does seem to increase my energy and help me get a little work done. On the down side, it causes me to feel a little jittery, but it's worth it.
    My Dr. has been giving me samples because my insurance won't cover it since it has not been studied in FM patients.
    Anyway, it does help me with energy and I will continue to take it as long as I can get samples. It is very expensive to buy.
    Hope this helps and good luck with it. Let us know if you try it and if your ins. will cover.
    MrsEd
  3. abbylee

abbylee New Member

I contacted my doctor about it, and he hasn't yet told me whether or not he will prescribe it for me. I wasn't told about the jitters so I don't know if I want to try it or not. While I could use the energy, I don't like to shake.

Anyone else with fibro taking it?

abbylee
  4. DLsGroovyMoM

DLsGroovyMoM New Member

I have been on it for over a year. When I first started I didn't have FM diagnosis but since I made it such a big issue and I work third I easily got my insurance to pay for it...yes it is expensive. I started on samples of 100mg after about a week I went up to 200mg, now on really bad days I take 300-400mg at nite when I first get to work.

I never had any kind of jitters or anything. As a matter of fact at first I didn't think it was helping but I ran out for a few days and could really tell a difference. It just makes me a little more alert and helps my brain work a little better...it has been somewhat of a life saver for me.

I know some people have had bad experiences with it so if your doc allows get samples to start...even if insuracne pays there is no reason to buy a months supply if you only end up taking a few.

Amy
  5. Muddieanne

Muddieanne New Member

I have energy now and can do more.I feel that my life is a little more normal because I am not fatigued and don't need to nap. It has improved the quality of my life but,of course,I still have pain and take meds for that.

Try it. Good luck,Marie
  6. elsa

elsa New Member

I have taken provigil for a long time. Over a year and a half by this point. It has really done a great job for me. Some days I only took 100mgs in the morning, other times 200mgs. Some days that are going to be 15 -16 hour work days I'll take three spread out over time. Somedays I don't take any.

It is very flexible. I have also alternated days where I would take adderall instead of provigil. My whole reasoning behind that is to make sure both EDS medications continue to work for me. I don't want my body getting use to them.

I'll vary the doses, the time of day I take them, or not take either one. Just keep changing the schedule to the point of there being no schedule. That way these two drugs don't know what's coming and I'll always receive benfit from them.

I hope this helps. I think as far as insurance goes it will depend on what type of coverage you have. My ins. covers provigil no questions asked. My co-pay is probably higher then most at 50.00 though.

Just have your doctor right it for "excessive daytime sleepiness" .... you have the sleep study to back up your sleep disorder plus you take xyrem at night. Pretty good indication you need this drug. ... since the definition for the use of provigil in narcolepsy is excessive daytime sleepiness.

Hope it works for you ... It can make a very big difference in your quality of lufe.

Take care,

Elsa
  7. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I have a prescription (filled) and never started taking it. It sounds like many have had good result with Provigil.

Since I have a tendency for insomnia I was afraid to take it. I do get tired during the day, maybe I will try it.
  8. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I am a disabled health professional. Provigil has given me my life back.

I was so tired and so groggy I was becoming a hermit.

My FCC doc told me to take IT EVERY DAY AND I DO EXCEPT FOR THE OCCASIONAL SLIP UP.

It has permitted me to stay away and to have more energy.

For those of you who have problems with your insurance,

IF YOU HAVE HAD A SLEEP LAB, DON'T SAY YOU NEED IT FOR FM, SAY YOU NEED IT FOR YOUR SLEEP DISORDER. IT HAS BEEN STUDIED IN THAT AND THAT IS WHAT IT IS FOR.

I HAVE NON-RESTORATIVE SLEEP AND SLEEP APNEA AND MY INSURANCE COMPANY HASN'T SAID A WORD.
  9. elsa

elsa New Member

I have never once mentioned fibro in my insurance dealings. Since there isn't a known cause or treatment for fibro, my doctor never mentioned that provigil or lunesta was for my fibro symptoms. He coupled them with my sleep study and since my sleep disorder is rough enough, the meds were never questioned.

Elsa
    [This Message was Edited on 12/07/2005]
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This has been discussed off and on in the past so if you do a search, you can probably read the old posts on it.

I couldn't take it; it just made me more sleepy and groggy.

Love, Mikie
  11. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

I've been taking it for about a month. I take 100 mg. in the morning, and 100 mg. at lunchtime.

Before Provigil I was sleeping like clockwork for 2 hours every afternoon...just crashing. Now, most days I don't nap. If tired, I just rest for about 1/2 hour, but usually don't sleep.

However, on some days, even though I'm taking it, if it's an extra effort kind of day, I still may nap.

Most days it helps me be a little more mentally alert as well.

I could probably take a higher dose on some days, but it's a rather expensive medication, so I'm trying to make it last.

Good luck.
    Hopeful4