Do You Take Your Supplements Together or Space them Out?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Aug 30, 2005.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Just wondering the best way to take supplements, vitamins/minerals. most of mine say to take with a meal, I have been trying to space them apart but would it hurt to take some together..

My new doc wants me to take CQ-10, Vit. C,
    Omega Complex without mercury, B-complex,
    Magnesium, Grapeseed extract and multivitamin /mineral...I feel like I am taking pills every hour. How do you take your supplements? Is it harmful to take them together? I forgot to ask the doctor..The only thing she told me was to take my vitamin/mineral in the evening..

Thanks,
    greatgran
  2. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I take a lot of pills, both prescription medications and vitamins/supplements. I use pill organizers and I make up enough each time to last for a two-week period.

I use the pill organizers that have a single space intended to hold pills for an entire day but - since I take so many pills - I use use four of the single-day spaces for one day.

This breaks into my taking a handful of pills four times a day a) breakfast b) lunch c) dinner e) bedtime. I take several medications and supplements together (there aren't enough hours in the day for me to take each pill at separate interval) and I only watch to separate the calcium and magnesium.

Whenever I add a new medication or supplement, I check with the pharmacist or look it up on the net to make sure it's not contra-indicated with anything else I take. Beyond that, I just say a little prayer and hope for the best.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  3. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

It's not that I don't believe you that the doc said it, it just galls me sometimes the advice that docs give on nutrition. Although several minerals have a calming effect, like calcium, magnesium, vitamins in general are very stimulating. They make you alert and energize. B complex vitamins esp. should not be taken near bedtime.

I take my multivitamin w/ minerals about 15 mins after my probiotic in the morning, and again w/ supper. They should always be taken w/ food and then they will best absorb synergistically w/ your food. My vitamin C goes in my water as calcium ascorbate powder and I take my omegas (salmon oil) w/ my other vit/mins too. Because I'm aware that ascorbic acid is only part of the vitamin C complex, I start w/ a raw veggie(s) for the bioflavinoids.

Some people take cal/mag or ZMA formulas before bed at night as these combos are calming and can promote sleep. Watch out for constipation or gut irritation, as some can't tolerate these isolates. I can't,I can only take minerals in a multi.

Grapeseed extract definitely needs to be taken w/ food for a buffering effect. It can be a powerful antiviral and somewhat of an antibiotic in those w/ a high load. It's also a potent antioxidant and thins the blood, so the combo in people like us who tend to hypercoagulation, can be powerful. I wouldn't have wanted to be driving the first time I took a GSE supp.

So you need not be taking pills every hour, the multis, omega, C, B's are best taken together w/ food anyway. Probiotics usually on an empty stomache and some antioxidants are best this way too for maximum effect, like NAC, glutathione.

I'm not sure about CoQ10. I have no experience w/ it, as I think it is far overpriced because of all the scientific validation its been given. I think there are equivalent, if not better antioxidants around that are much much cheaper, it's just a matter of press.

Jeanne
    [This Message was Edited on 08/30/2005]