Do you think anti depressants help with malaise and fatigue?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by laspis1, Jan 23, 2006.

1. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

I am just curious what your experience has been. I have been taking lexapro and nortryptyline (very low dose) and I did slowly recover from malaise. I never got rid of pain though although it was not as bad as before. I had more energy, my thoughts were more clear. However I have gained 35 to 40 lbs and the pain was bad so I decided to see what would happen if I stopped. the dr did not think it was a good idea to take both and wanted to try cymbolta. This happened in June. For a while I did not notice any major difference. But by November I started to regress. I even have malaise that I did not experience for the last three years. So of course I am second guessing my decision. I just do not know if this would happen anyway or if it is because I stopped. By the way, I have not lost weight either. So now I am curious if anyone's experience was similar. Any opinions?

I have just posted in another thread. The malaise is the worst symptom for me. I can tolerate just about anything but because I have to work this one frightens me because I cannot function with that at all.
  2. jake123

jake123 New Member

For me, the Wellbutrin has helped me in the afternoon. If I don't take it, I run out of energy. I also take Celexa but that doesn't affect my energy, just my negativity!!
  3. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

and probably antidepressants, but still confused which ones. HOpe to here from more of you on this.
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

laspis1:
    I am also on Lexapro and find that it does lift my spirits and helps with pain. Since you have been on it for three years why not talk to the doctor about it. Maybe you need an increase. It can not hurt to mention it to the doctor.
    Action will end your malaise. Doing nothing may contribute to it.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  5. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

sometimes i wish that anti-depressants were called something else so that more people would consider them. for a lot of people, it's not the stigmatization of depression that keeps them from taking them, but the fact that they're not clinically depressed so how's an anti-depressant going to help?! the fact is, raising serotonin levels in the brain can provide a whole host of benefits in the body from the relief of chronic muscle tension, decreased anxiety and pain sensitivity, increased GI motility and better quality sleep (which can often lead to a host of other benefits via the domino effect). for me, they were also the one thing that stopped my severe migraines.

i'm about to go back on lexapro after having been off since february '04. my health was peaking at the time and like you, i felt better for several months after discontinuing the drug only to suffer a gradually worsening relapse this fall.

an anti-depressant can help break the vicious cycle that our brains and nervous systems are locked into. it's up to us to do the rest. eat better. alleviate stress in our lives. start a regular program of light exercise and stretching. they are a tool, not a cure-all, but they can be a highly effective catalyst for greater levels of healing.

eddie
  6. jeniwren

jeniwren New Member

I take 2 dothep 25 with my dinner and I sleep like a baby most nights. I don't have as much pain as I did intially I was diagnosed and while I still get tired easily I am better than I was.

I too put on a fair amount of weight...but I've managed to loose around 25 lb in the past 5-6 months and am continuing to do so.

Jen
  7. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

Thank you all so much for caring enough to respond. I somehow feel that they did play a part in how I felt, and though I did not get pain relief, I could function much better than I am now. I have been told today at work how terrible I look and not to take it the wrong way.
    Well, I am sure that if my look tells a quarter of the story I must look awful, but that is not what I care about anyway. I just want to get rid of malaise.

I do agree with you that there is a stigma associated with antidepressants, but I think I am over that. What made me stop is the weight gain. ~40lbs. (How did you ever loose your weight?) I am also hesitant in trying meds because I feel that when I am in a pit I am more likely to reject a medicine or have a really bad reaction to it.

I had no idea how many different anti depressants are out there. I never even heard of Dothep.

This board and all of you are just awesome!
  8. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

You don't say whether you have CFS or FM. If you have CFS, be cautious abut taking ADs. Some of them, especially the SSRIs, have an adverse effect on CFS.
  9. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

I have FM for sure but I do not know if I have CFS. These two are so similar it is hard to say.