Do you think attending church or listening to services reduces your stress

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by Beadlady, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

levels? I need to find something to get my stress under control.
  2. windblade

windblade Active Member

I definitely think it can reduce stress levels in the sense that we are finding the most important meaning in life, strengthening our faith, singing praise to God which you mentioned you loved while driving in the car.

Unless there is some negativity in the church - that wouldn't help.

Other stress-healers for me are deep breathing - I keep doing it until I can feel my body relax, and can take deep, slow breaths.

Also tightening and then loosening all the muscles gets the tension out of the body.

I love listening to environmental tapes - the sound of the ocean, or the bubbling sound of a stream are very soothing to me.

Because I have an anxiety disorder, I take meds. on a regular basis. Klonopin works really well for me.

I remember seeing you posting about this somewhere else also. So it must be an important issue for you right now.

I don't have a church right now in the regular sense. But I have the most incredible nun friends, and their welcoming love, encouragement, listening, laughter are like medicine to me. Their support greatly cuts down on my anxiety. I feel tucked under their wings.

I'm going to light a prayer- candle for you now, asking for God's guidance to show you what will help you now.

Love, Wind

3. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. It is appreciated.

Lots of work issues--at my call center job there has been ALOT of changes in the last 6 months--computer conversion, on-going procedure changes and it is hard to keep all the new things straight.

I have a cataract that needs surgery--I have been wearing my sunglasses alot at the call center to help with the glare with computer. I am trying to figure out a plan to come up with the money--no insurance--make too much for medicaid.

My husband is having a bad time at his job. They are expecting way too much from him--a person can only do so much in a day and he is constantly being pulled in 50 different directions. He has tried many times to make suggestions so things are done in a more efficient & cost effective manner--but they are set in their ways and won't change. He feel they are trying to get him to quit--but he won't. I HATE the games employers play. I'm trying hard to be strong and encouraging for him.

And to top it all off, I woke up with having horrible muscle spasms and pain in my lower back. Had to call in sick at both jobs. And I don't know what caused this--I left work last night and felt a little twinge, it was really cold out so I probably tensed up my muscles. Chiropractor is out today so hoping I can get in there tomorrow.

[This Message was Edited on 01/20/2011]
  4. windblade

windblade Active Member

Were you able to get to a chiropractor appt.? I'm hoping you were able to reduce the muscle spasms and pain in your back.

I like what Jamin wrote about the Serenity Prayer. It has been a help in my life for about 3 decades. I tend towards anxiousness, and have the stress of PTSD in it's many forms. This prayer must have helped me thousands and thousands of times over the years.

Just your writing out your list of struggles and troubles is a great start - because now you can clarify what you can do something about, and what you can't. I break things down to daily also, following what Jesus said " Let the day's own trouble be sufficient for the day", and his teachings on anxiety and worry about the future.

Over the years, I can't count how many times I have applied this teaching. I could worry about my future constantly! And probably would without this teaching and other valuable ones. I know it stops the flood of stress - the things I can't do anything about today.

If I'm still in a panic mode I call on friends that know me well, and that I trust. They help me through by listening, praying, sympathising, giving their wisdom to the situation.

Keeping you and your husband in my prayers. For each situation that you're dealing with.

Love, Judy
  5. windblade

windblade Active Member

You've brought up so many interesting topics on this thread. Quakers - you inspired me to look up some Quaker writers that have written very wonderfully on meditation/contemplation. Douglas Steere for one. I had copied out some things he wrote many years ago.

And that led me on a fascinating exploration through my other books - on Quaker influences.

I admire so much how you can sit in long silence in meditation. I have tried many times but have problems with it that so far I haven't been able to work with.

Your last writing on forgiveness - I so agree with. And it is so healing for me to forgive myself too. As well as those that have harmed me. And it is a universal need.

It makes me so sad and disgusted that you received such harmful teachings, and probably the way it was presented also from your childhood church.

If a punitive God is communicated - promoting shame, fear and guilt, who's going to want to stay there?! A God like that shouldn't even be believed in.

My closest friend from childhood grew up Catholic and I grew up Lutheran - and in those days - the '50's - it was a sin for her to even come into my church.

But in comparison I found my church to be too tepid. Everyone was so over- smiley, and major problems were not dealt with. That's what it felt like to me - and I left when I was a teen-ager for many complicated reasons.

Since then I've gone through a process of sloughing off teachings that I see as harmful, yet thankfully finding greatly liberating spiritual truths that I can always expand into, and root myself in more deeply in my Christian faith.

In my 20's a book called 'Your God is too small' helped me tremendously. It spoke of ridding yourself of distorted views , like God as a Policeman, The Pale Galilean (jesus depicted as too mild and weak). The concept of 'niceness' was too much mixed into my early spiritual food. I despise the word 'nice'!!!

My husband and I were just talking today about how we see such a great spiritual burgeoning happening now - worldwide.

-Wind