Do you think I may have CFS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Toll, Feb 24, 2003.

  1. Toll

    Toll New Member

    Hello there, my names Jane and I live in North West England. I've been reading the board for a couple of months and have got some great info from you all.
    Here's a bit about my health problems -
    I became very ill in 1996, ended up in hospital with a ruptured spleen, they found out I had glandular fever. Carried on working despite my illness, had alot of ups and downs over the years but had a very supportive boss, then went to college for 2 years so I could plan my workload and coped ok.
    But for about a year now things have been getting worse - constant fatigue, sore thoat, swollen glands, achy everywhere, pain in spleen area,neck and shoulders, foggy brain, and more recently, since finishing college and not being able to work, depression.
    My GP has diagnosed depression and put me on Cipramil, but I know its much more than that.She doesnt seem to want to discuss the possibility of CFS and Im doubting that I am really as ill as i think.
    Any ideas on what I should do next?
    Thanks by the way for such a great site.
  2. Mikie

    Mikie Moderator

    Welcome to our board. Many come here asking us whether we think they have FMS and/or CFS. We are not qualified to diagnose people online from their list of symptoms. It is vitally important to get a diagnosis from a qualified doctor as our symptoms can mimic other illnesses. Please find a doc who is knowledgeable in our illnesses to help you.

    If you do have CFS/FMS, this is an excelent place for support and info. I wish you luck and urge you to find out what is causing your symptoms.

    Love, Mikie
  3. LauraLea

    LauraLea New Member

    It possible, but like mikie says you need to push your doctor and have her run more test and if nothing is found have her send you to a specalist.

    Sorry that we can't be more help, but unfortunaly it sometimes take awhile before you find out exactly what you have.

    Do some research. Go to a book story or the library and get some research material to take to your next doctor visit..

  4. sb439

    sb439 New Member

    and go see a CFS specialist as soon as possible. If it's CFS, the earlier you get proper treatment, the better the chances that you recover or learn to live well despite having it. If not, with the symptoms you describe, a CFS specialist still will be the one who knows what else you may have.
    Good luck!
    (and don't waste another thought on your GP.)
  5. Toll

    Toll New Member

    Thanks to you all for your replies, I'm going to my next GP appointment armed with info, and will see another doc there who I reckon may be more knowledgable round the subject. You've inspired me not to give up till i get this thing sorted.
    Love jane
  6. bees

    bees New Member

    I got diagnosed by my GP and referred to Seacroft hospital in Leeds where they specialise in CFS. If you've not already been to see your GP try asking them to refer you there. The doctor will asses you and tell you if you have CFS.

    I also take cipramil but mine's for depression and anxiety brought on my being ill. If your doctor won't rethink about CFS change doctors. You don't have to put up with any doubt, my first doctor was really rude to me about it but since I changed practices they've been ace.