Do you think kids should have their tonsils out?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Asatrump, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

I had mine out as a child, all my children had theirs out around age 7 due to repeated strep infections.

My grand daughter 8, has had two strep infections this year and her tonsils are large. Her father has at least two "sessions" with some tonsil related problem per year, to the point he can't swallow.

I think better for a kid to suffer a few days and eliminate problems that I see some adults having.

She has an ENT appointment next week due to frequent night bloody noses. I am thinking possibly my daughter will ask about getting the grand daughters tonsils out.

I realize tonsils are no longer done routinely by ENT.

Just wondered your opinions.
  2. mylilcherub428

mylilcherub428 New Member

I dunno about the tonsil thing but I wanted to say I get bloody noses often in the winter I went to the doc about it and he said there is a vein in your nose very close to the surface During the winter your house can become as dry as the saharra desert.

He recommened a humidifire and to use a q-tip with vasaline to mouturize it

I know some people have to have surgery to cauterize the vein but the humidifie and the vasaline did it for me most times I just use the vasaline

sorry I don't know about the tonsils hope I helped with the bloody noses those are no fun-Kim
  3. laceymae

laceymae New Member

Mine were removed becouse reaccuring ear infections. I couldn't sleep had trouble...this was when Dr.'s would make house calls. Mine would have to come out in the night to give me shots to help me sleep.

Son had his removed for the same reason.

Daughter had hers removed because of constant throat infections.

Doctors want to keep prescriping Antibiotics to kids for these infections. To much infection medicine is not good for any reason.

Sometimes the parents do insist they be removed when they don't really have a serious problem.

just my opinion

My cousin had his removed thirty odd years ago and one has grown back. He is really having some serious health problems caused from this.
  4. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

The pediatrician gave her some cream to put up her nose at night, and they have a humidfier for the furnace. Maybe the nose should be cauterized, but try and explain that to an 8 year old!
  5. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

ahhh a person who remembers when doctors made house calls. Me too...

I know a 30 something who had his tonsils out about a year ago, he missed an entire month of work and was truly miserable.

I also think you are right, possibly they are given more anti biotic with the tonsils holding onto germs.
  6. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

My daughter, now 20, has had many battles with tonsillitis over the last 4 years or so. A few times it was so bad she had to take steroids because the antibiotics wouldn't work. Couldn't breathe, couldn't swallow even liquids, etc.

Her Dr. sent her to an Ear Nose & Throat guy he thought would be most likely to remove the tonsils. He flat out wouldn't do it. He said a person needed to have tonsillitis at least 5 times in one year for him to even consider it. Others require 7 attacks per year. I think she had 4 very severe attacks that year. She wanted them out so bad, we begged him. But no.

Part of that was her age. The older a person gets, the more dangerous the surgery is. But even with small children, they don't perform this surgery as routinely as they used to.

7. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Our daughter did have her's taken out when she was 7, due to continous problems. They also did sinus surgery, and put, yet another, pair of tubes in her ear. This was 21 year's ago. It was the right decision for her.

Our 20 y/o son had several bout's with his tonsil's but he did not have them taken out. Our doctor would not do the surgery, when he way younger, unless his infection's increased dramatically. They didn't.

With adult's, it is more difficult. The older you are, more complications can exist.

I believe in a case to case situation, no matter the age. If a person is chronically having problem's I think the doctor should give a second thought to the decision.

Have a good day!

8. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I think it should at least be an option! It seems like medical science has gone from routinely taking them out of everyone to never taking them out except in dire emergencies...emergencies and illnesses that could have been prevented by taking them out earlier.

I had mine out at age 5, my brother age three. My sons both had ear/sinus infections but never had their tonsils out. The docs weren't doing it. They have both grown up and don't have an inordinate amount of trouble with infections. I guess in their cases, it was the right decision.

It's a tough one, but I think your daughter should at least explore the option with the doctor. Could help gd a whole bunch. I know I became a much healthier kid after the surgery as did my brother.

Hope the right decision is made soon!

9. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

Thanks for the reply, I know what was pretty routine 40 years ago is quite the exception now.
  10. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

Interesting. So your sons still have theirs. Guess it just the luck of the draw what happens as adults. Thanks for the response.
  11. dononagin

dononagin New Member

What a coinsidence! I just took my 17 year old to a ENT and she is having hers out on the 18th of this month. Hers are oversized and she has had constant infections as well as quite a few bouts of strep her entire life, but this was the first Doc to say, Yes.. they need to come out!

The rule of thumb he said, is 3-4 days recovery in young children - a week for teens and two weeks for adults.

Tonsils are made up from lymphatic tissue and are a part of our imune system, but truly if they are constantly infected they are doing more damage than good. Bottom line, he said is you don't need them.

He also said that Micaela probably has sleep apnea because of the size of her tonsils that they are probably reducing her oxygen intake by closing off her throat when she is asleep.

One day - out patient procedure.. he said the whole thing tales less than an hour.. a week off work.. lots of gaterade and soft diet.

We are happy to be getting them out!

12. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

Interesting what you said about the recovery period. Good luck to your daughter, and may the tonsillectomy be the end of a bunch of problems .

13. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

Amazing that yours grew back, I didn't know that could happen. I sure hope as an adult you don't have to go under the knife as you put it.
  14. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I think if the tonsils are showing problems in childhood they should be removed. My sister should of had hers out when we were kids; now when she gets sick, it takes her longer to recover and she always has throat issues when she gets a cold. And in an adult, it's MAJOR surgery. My friend had such tough tonsils as an adult, he had to go to a special hospital in Philly to have them microwaved out. He was in agony. My BF's kids were always sick until they got their tonsils out. Now they hardly get sick, and when they do they get over it much faster.
  15. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

Very interesting . I don't know if my grand daughter has trouble with sleep but I did hear that children who snore should probably have their tonsils out as they could develop sleep apnea/problems.
  16. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

Sounds like your family is in favor of removal. I just wonder what the ENT will say about my grand daughter. I wonder if she saw an older ENT , maybe a doctor that was praciticing 30 years ago when it was more popular to remove them.... if they changed to the new tune or would be more likely to be persuaded to remove?
  17. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

I think if a child is constantly sick, like my son was, having recurring bouts of tonsillitis continuously, the tonsils should come out. I believe that is better than living on antibiotics; it can't be good for anybody. He had them out when he was 6 and has been healthy ever since. He is now 32. I sure wouldn't hesitate.
  18. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

my friend whose kids hav both had their tonsils out told me that for the kids to even be considered for a tonsilectomy, they had to have a minimum of three throat infections in one year. Her kids exceeded that; one of them always seemed to have a throat issue. I don't know what kind of guidelines they had when we were kids; but I remember my sister always with 'tonsilitis' and swollen gums; they would put tincture of violet on the gums for the pain and swelling. I somewhat remember her always being sick with it for a lengthy period of time in the springtime because our Easter plans always went askew because she was sick with her tonsils.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/07/2008]