Do you think we have Spammers on this site?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lendy5, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

I don't want to ignore someone that truly needs help but how can we be sure if someone is a spammer?

I see occassional members that when you glance at their profile shows they have been a member for several months but never post and when they do it's weeks later pleading for help. Sorry but I can't help but to be hesistant of these members because most never reply back to us when we have taken the time to respond.

If there are just lurkers out there then I apologize and I am hoping I do not offend anyone.

What are your thoughts?

2. waxdiva

waxdiva New Member

I'm also like "ouch" and read the board everyday. The majority of the time I don't post.

Wax
  3. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Thanks ouch, stormskye, waxdiva - You know all of you are right and I am sorry if I came across to harsh.

Thanks!
  4. waxdiva

waxdiva New Member

I think your post brought up a valid point. It didn't seem harsh at all.

After reading the boards for a while, you can easily spot the spammers.

Wax
  5. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

Many message boards on other sites now have counts of how many replies there are to each topic, and how many people open the topic and just read.

There are easily 10 people 'lurking' for every person who actively posts. It's just human nature.

I find comfort from this, because even when no one responds to information I put out, I know others are reading it.

On a board like this, where you have to register to read, there will be a lot of empty profiles. The requirement to register is, I think, to keep automated 'robot' programs from getting in and wreaking havoc, not to invade privacy.
  6. FibroPainSufferer

FibroPainSufferer New Member

Reading this post freaked me out. A few weeks ago there was a post asking us to fill in our bio’s so I did. After reading this post, I deleted some of the information in my bio.

What exactly is a Spammer anyway? I know what Spam mail is and it’s not good so I’m guessing a Spammer isn’t good!!!
  7. OptimusUndead

OptimusUndead Member

First off, i wouldn't call them spammers. Spammers are usually people who intentionally try to sell you something, or persuade you that something worked so that you'll fall for it. Thats usually the people that have two posts and dont ever visit the site. Kinda like unsolicited emails or phone calls. But i guess that comes with the territory. But you have to remember there are exceptions.

Another thing is that some people find message boards like this, ask for help, and then completely forget about it. Trust me, i've posted things on sites before, and completely forgot about them. So take that into account.

Lastly, dont put any information you dont want people to know about like phone number or last name.(if you dont want anyone to know) But honestly,If someone wanted information that badly, they could probably get it regardless. So dont worry about that. Just dont put your phone number in your Bio ^_-

Keep in mind that people usually just want information online to send you unsolicited emails, or to sell you something. But to be quite honest, thats usually gone about through ways of email lists that are eithe rpayed for, or are passed around when you sign up for something. So unless your giving your credit card numbers(that isn't a secure transaction) or other personal information out , you should be fine.

Replying to what you think might be a spammer isn't going to do anything either ^_^

hope that helped
    [This Message was Edited on 02/04/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/04/2007]
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There have been people who have come here in the past with hardship stories. Some are authentic and some are not. As long as no one sends money and as long as the poster doesn't ask for anything, it's not a problem. Several years ago, a woman came here with a hardship story and asked for money. Some of our members sent her money only to find out that she was scamming people on other boards too. One member knew her and that's how we found out.

It has always been against the rules to solicit here but people were e-mailing outside the board and that's where most of the scamming took place. When this woman started to boldly ask for money here, she was banned.

If anyone sees someone soliciting, just press the little triangle on the post to automatically alert the moderators to it. Under no circumstances send money to someone like this and be really careful with the info y'all provide through posts, your profiles, and in chit-chat. Giving out one's e-address is like opening one's door to a stranger. It's sad we have to beware of others but not everyone who visits these boards is who he or she pretends to be. The admin. and moderators do an excellent job of keeping this board safe for us but there is only so much they can do. We have to be careful to keep ourselves safe too.

Love, Mikie