Do You Use Music as Therapy?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kimfibro, Apr 12, 2006.

1. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

I do! Especially driving in the car. Not much in the house though. Odd....well, the tv is on or my 8 yr old son will be playing a video game. But even when he's not at home i don't put on the cd's much. Perhaps the quiet in the home is therapy as well...

So who do you listen to most often and where are you when you are listening? Are you usually lying down, doing chores, driving??

Just curious cuz i sure get my mind out of the pain gutter for a bit listening to Bob Dylan...my saviour!! :)
  2. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Music always helps me relax.

My current fave is a CD I heard in yoga class:

Artist: Deva Premal Album: Dakshina

She's a mantra singer. Even though I'm Catholic and not Hindu, her voice is beautiful and relaxing. Kind of like Enya, but Indian.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  3. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

my favorite as i mentioned is dylan. his stuff varies greatly from the slow and dark to long and bluesy. it makes me happy....and then i relax!

there's a new yoga studio very close to where i live and i truly want to try it. will need to take care of some other issues first before spending the money though.

how long have you been taking classes and have you seen great improvements in yourself??
  4. RockiAZ

RockiAZ New Member

I love a variety of music, but usually I enjoy the sound of silence - it's nice and peaceful (except when my "kids" start barking). Noise really bothers me.

However.... to relax, I enjoy 'soundscapes' (natural type sounds), Yoga/chanting CD's, Indian flutes, Phantom of the Opera CD, and such. If I'm able to listen to other music and/or in the 'cleaning' mood, some of my favorites are: Bob Segar, Cher, UB40, Lenny Kravitz.....ok, and Neil Diamond (yes, I'm still a fan!)

Live, Laugh, Love,
    Rocki
  5. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Oh, yes!

I have always like Blue Grass and Christian music but since this dx I have started liking Classical!

I listen to it when I carve, on my radio, and in the evenings and weekends if the DH is outside, we have a classical channel on the TV.

I don't know the names of any of the songs, and of course can't sing along (LOL), but I find it very soothing.

Hugz
    Greenbean
  6. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi Kim

I have been a music lover all my life!! i turnthe radio up and sing to the top of my lungs when i'm driving!!.......................My girls always enjoyed that too when they were growing up !! and yes when were all togeather we sing!!.........................................Music of any kind (accept hard rock in my case is good for the spirit and the soul!).................................................sisland
  7. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

For relaxation I like Steven Halpern and Liquid Mind. I also listen to Contemporary Christian music. I relax and it helps distract my mind from the pain my body is in. I'm trying different New Age artists also, like Enya...but I didn't care for Yanni.
  8. kalley167

kalley167 New Member

Even as a teen going through the rough times of a teens life I used music. I still use it to relax. It has helped me through alot of rough times. And God of course !
  9. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

I practiced yoga pre-FM, when my oldest was little. I really enjoyed it for the relaxation and the flexibility it gave me.

If you can believe it, I gave it up for a job.

It was "re-suggested" to me by my rheumatologist who observed that typical "gym" workouts didn't really help his FM patients and made them feel worse because everything was too high impact and too much on the muscles and joints.

I have been back at it again (and very UN-flexible) for the past month and I have to say that even with as few sessions that I've had (7 over 3 weeks) I have already seen improvement in areas you don't often think about.

First, it is very relaxing and gentle. The breath control is more important as you do the various poses, not how much of a pretzel you can twist yourself into.

Second, it gets rid of a TON of stress for me - my job, this DD, whatever - I always feel better during and after each class.

Third, I have seen improvement (just a little so far) in my flexibility - which in turn is helping me in the mornings (I go to a 7:30 pm class two to three times/week) - I am less stiff overall.

Fourth, and quite surprising to me already is that my blood pressure has dropped 10 points on each number. I go to see my primary doc next week and I thought we were going to have to go up on the BP meds, but it looks like if I keep doin' what I'm doing, I can stay on my current dose.

My classes are Hatha yoga which is probably the most mainstream "style". Bikram yoga (where the studio is heated to 95 - 100 degrees Fahrenheit) is also very popular in my area, but since I have high blood pressure and heat raises your blood pressure, for me its a no=no.

I hope you give it a try and I hope it helps you.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie

10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I get digital music through my cable and I play it a lot. Last night, I put the Elvis gospel CD on and had my wine on the lanai under the full moon. I use special CD's which help the brain to produce specific waves. The one which helps with Delta waves improves sleep quality.

Love, Mikie
  11. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

geezm crow, michael bolton.

yes yes yes yes they need to be used as frisbees!

if i put that on i'd get an instant brain flare!!!! hahahaha

you're funny!
  12. Charleen

Charleen New Member

I listen to hypnotherpy tapes at night some are music other is a doc's voice. They do help some, the music is the clasical kind Sonatas, like Elgar, Beethoven, Brams and etc/
    But when I am in my car I love my 70's 80's music will wait till my motorcycle is finished as to what I will listen to probably the 70's and 80's cant wait for the warm weather I am one of those you see sing at the top of there lungs. I don't care though that is when I feel free even if I am in pain.
  13. lonestar26

lonestar26 New Member

Love Music, and it does help alot. Sometimes I have those fogs and forget to turn it on.

I also like peace and quiet, my hubby is hard of hearing and has the TV blaring like we are at the movies:).

I really like the sounds CD's ocean, crickets , rain & etc....

We should all have Fibro Fest in the near future or Expo that would be good for us to be around other people like ourselves.

Keep listening to the soft vibes of music and your all in my prayers.