Do you use Omega 3 oils or Flax oil????????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Solstice, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Solstice

Solstice New Member

Hi,

I am trying to sort out what the difference is between Omega 3 oils and Flax seed oil. If any of you take either or both, please let me know.

Do they have all oils together? Which oils are for what? Do we need both?

any advise is much appreciated about this.

Peace,

Solstice
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Both fish oil and flax seed oil can provide Omega-3's, and it is also in some foods.
    The American diet is overbalanced in favor of Omega-6 oils and very deficient in Omega-3's. Some even feel the epidemic of learning disabilities and depression is due to Omega-3 deficiency. Recent studies have shown that RA can be improved by taking Omega-3 supps.
    Anyone can benefit from Omega-3 fish oils, provided their stomach can tolerate them. They can make GERD much worse, so be careful, and take them with smal amts. of food.
    Only females can get full benefit from flax seed oils. They do not provide enough of the proper essential fatty acids for males. Flax seed oil or ground flax seed is one of the best things you can do for your overall health. Some people have zero bowel tolerance for flax though, so start with a tiny dose first to see how it affects you, esp. if you have IBS.
    If you use flax seed, remember it must be ground up, as humans cannot absorb whole flax seed.
    I cannot tolerate either one, so I get my Omega-3's from food, specifically cold water fish like salmon, and walnuts. Some feel fish have too much mercury now, but I am willing to chance it twice a week, since I have high heart disease risk factors. Walnuts have an added benefit of raising the level of the neurohormone serotonin,which is low in Fibro patients, and nuts can help prevent Type II diabetes when eaten daily. Of course, nuts, cold water fishes and oils are all high in fat and calories, but at least it's the good type of Omega-3 fats.
    Hope this helps a little,
    Klutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 04/25/2003]
  3. mastersinger

mastersinger New Member

I have been taking this for 2 years. Guess it helps. Has lots of Omega 3 , and all good stuff in it. I get it in the the frozen state and keep in frig. I'm sure it helps supplement.
  4. darlamk

darlamk New Member

My nutrionist recommended flax seed for lowering cholesterol and for all the other Omega 3 benefits. I order mine from a producer here in SD and grind (coffee grinder)it as I need it. I store the flax seeds in my frig. I am up to 1 Tablespoon twice a day. I also use flax seed oil on my salads & veggies along with natural apple cider vinegar. I have really gotten used to the taste & prefer it now.Have a good weekend!
    Sincerely,
    Darla
    [This Message was Edited on 04/25/2003]
  5. jstbrznby

jstbrznby New Member

Hello, I tried the fish oils AND they made me very sick to my stomach. has anyone else had thie same problem> Good luck with this as from what I understand it is very helpful.

Hugs....Pam2
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Where did you read about males not being able to get enough Omega 3 from flaxseed oil? Can they get enough if they take the fish oil pills. Thanks for your help.

Love, Mikie
  7. tyneangel

tyneangel New Member

Good Morning Solstice, I have been taking fish oil, flaxseed oil, evening primose oil and a multi vitamin since Jan of 03. To date I can testify that the combination of these has helped me. My memory is better, i can make decisions etc. I am manic depressive and on meds. My body seems to be adjusting to life much better.

God Bless,

Tswift
  8. Mrs. B

Mrs. B New Member

I've been using flax seed meal (ground) for about 4 mos. now. I did stop for a few weeks and noticed a difference of but, it could have been due to other things. I feel better when I take it. I put a table spoon in cottage cheese with fruit, cereal or yogurt. The taste isn't bad at all.

Lisa
  9. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I got this info from Dr.Joseph Mercola's website. He has several articles and commentary on fish, fish oil and flaxseed oil. It's his last name.
    Hugs,
    Klutzo
  10. Solstice

Solstice New Member

What a blessing that I found this site and this board and you people!

Thank you Klutzo for your very helpful explaination of the oils. It makes sense to me now :) :)

It is good to hear everyones experience with the oils.

I have some oils now that I have had for quite awhile, and I need to get some new oil. I did not know that Omega 3 and Fish oil were one in the same. i waned to know what I was looking for before I bought a new bottle. Over the last year or so, I have taken it only sporatically. Now I know how important it is, and I will make sure I take it daily. (Being on a routine and doing anything CONSISTENTLY, including taking supplements, is one of my biggest challenges with this DD)

The oil have have been using sounds like the one I want to get again, based on what all of you are saying. It is UDO'S CHOICE.
    THE ingredients are flax oil, sunflower oil, sesame oil, rice germ and bran oil, oatgerm and bran oil, evening primrose oil, rosemary extract. This is organic. Does this sound right??? It says take 1 T. twice daily with meals. I have been putting it in my juice with superfood and bee pollen in the morning (again sporadically). I have occasionally felt kind of nauseous afterwards, and from what Klutzo is saying the oils may be causing that . I will make sure I eat with it now, and see if that feels better.

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!

Have a good weekend.

Solstice
  11. Shirl

Shirl New Member

make your own bread, you can grind the seeds and add it to the batter. It is easily digested this way too, for me anyway.

Also, it can be mixed with butter, dips, cereal etc.

Shalom, Shirl