Do You Use OTCs with Your Rx meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NyroFan, Mar 8, 2006.

1. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Hi all:
    I was curious. Do many people use OTC meds with their RX meds. I take Ibuprofen 800mg. four times daily. I have checked and there is no interference with my other meds.
    Once in a while I use Benadryl for RLS.
    And I live on Zantac.
    Does anyone else mix and match. My doctor knows and says I am not doing any harm.
    Just curious if I am the only one.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  2. lucita2k

lucita2k New Member

I only take over the counter meds at this point. I do have some vicodin I'm holding onto in case I need serious help, but haven't had to take any since I started with my supplements. At this point, I'm managing with magnesium, malic acid, fish oil, multi-vitamins, coq10 and B12. I want to get shots of B12, but my doctor won't give them to me (yes, I'm switching doctors). Occassionally, I'll take an aleve for headaches. I'd say these have helped me more than all the antidepressants, muscle relaxers, sleep aids and pain killers I've tried. I have a high chemical sensitivity and they all gave me horrible side effects (I have some horror stories about some of them!).
    I get drowsy from the magnesium and malic acid, so I take them in the evening and right before bedtime. Most importantly, is that I've learned I have try to take it easy. I'm not in remission, but I can tolerate my pain and fatigue more now and I'm no longer suicidal.
  3. Lindy2

Lindy2 New Member

I also take Ibuprofen about 4 times a day with the oxycodone for pain and I use OTC Prilosec constantly.

I am suppose to have the nisson Fundoplication procedure done to eliminate my acid reflux but I keep putting it off.

Benadryl I heard is good for helping with RLS I hear but haven't tried yet. I might give it a try soon.

Hugs,
    Lindy
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Thank you for your answers to my question. There are so many good medicines out there I put it in the mix with my meds. It is nice to know that you (and others) do also.
    Sometimes I feel like a mad scientist, concocting my potions:)
    Hugs,
    NyroFan