Do you use vicoden..or other opiates for pain control?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Suzan, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I am curious I guess! I have been taking vicoden since Dx'd a couple years ago. Generally it is still working pretty well, and although my doc gave me Ultram at my request at first, because it had just been "approved" for FMS, I didn't get much relief from it..and he didn't like the side effect risks, so we just stuck with the vicoden. I take between 3 and 5 vicoden a day, and wonder sometimes if this is just what I will be doing for years....staying on some sort of pain med just to make it thru my days.

I get tired of the narcotic feel at times...and I will take a break by not taking any in a day...or by scaling down on how many I take. I like having my Brain back when the narcotics move out...but boy I stiffen up, and then end up having all those fun little pain spots nag at me. So, sometimes even though I try to take that break from the drug...I relent and take one anyway!

I am just wondering how you feel about your pain management...and using opiates....Seems to be a relatively safe choice from what I read. But then...is anything safe for us anymore????

2. jakeg

jakeg New Member

I've been taken vicodin for about 4 or 5 months now and they seem to work pretty well. I try not to take them though. Usually I'll wait to the pain gets to the point that I can no longer stand it. I do have a very high tolerance to pain and have been told this by most docs that I've seen in the past, which is good because if I didn't I would be taking them every day as scheduled by the prescribing doc. Sometimes I do wait to long though and end up suffering for an hour or 2 until the vic takes affect, then I'll take as prescribed for the rest of the day.

Jake
  3. risinforce

risinforce New Member

I used to take Vicodin, Now I take Percocet and MS Contin daily. Vicodin worked for me but I would have to take alot of them and I took 10/325 mg. I took it along w/methadone which is a long lasting pain med. I have FM and a herniated disc in my lower back.

I switched to ther oxycontin meds this last year. You can have a tendency to build a tolerence to pain meds when you are on one type for a long period of time. I see a pain management doctor which is the way to go when you have this illness.

Regular family doctors are limited by the Medical Board and the DEA (which is unconstitutional in my opinion) at how much pain meds they can distribute to a patient. That is what my psyciatrist told me. I spent the summer in a lot of pain because I had no choice but to be treated by my family doc. My current pain mngmt doc wasn't on my insurance so I had no choice. Bless her soul, she did her best but it wasn't enough to manage my pain. I always ran out of meds early etc. it was a mess. I actually paid cash last month to see my pain doc. Was the best money I ever spent.

My pain doc incorporates body and soul treatment. We meditate, talk, it's like councilling. Better than my psyciatrist and alot cheaper LOL.

Anyway, that's my deal. Sometimes I feel like a walking narcotic drug store. Some people fall over when they find out how much I take of the pain meds but it puts the level of pain I have in perspective.

Hugs and Happy Holidays,
    Shawn
  4. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Ive been on them for 2 yrs now.

Take 1 to 2 three times a day.

I also take oxcycotin 2 times a day with them.They both take the edge off but the pain never goes completely away.

Doctor told me Ill probably be on them for a long time cause there is no cure for FM & CFS OSA .

I will continue to take them till they no longer help.

Sue
  5. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I have been told by more than one doctor that if you wait to take pain med until the pain is very bad, then the med doesn't work as well. It has something to do with having the med in your system before your pain reaches a certain level. I wish I could explain this better, but I find this is true with me. When I was first diagnosed with FMS/CFIDS I tried as hard as I could to avoid taking pain med. Then I noticed that it would take the med a while to become effective if my pain got really bad.

Vicodin doesn't do much for me. My body built up a tolerance for this med very fast so that I need a lot of it to even get near the pain. I hate taking these meds. I used to be the kind of person who wouldn't even take an aspirin for a headache. But, the pain related to these illneses that we have is somehow more intense than any pain I have ever had.
  6. jake123

jake123 New Member

doctor can prescribe as long as it is medically indicated?
    I would like to refer to the bill that has been passed by Congress or whatever legal document. It sounds to me like just a bunch of Joe McCarthyisms making up their own laws. As long as these doctors aren't sending their patients out with sacks of Oxycontin who cares if someone has 2 or 3 Vicodin's a day?
    It sounds like a bunch of BS to me.
  7. Zola_ann

Zola_ann New Member

I've been taking Darvocet for a few months now. I only take it when the pain is very bad. I tried taking other pain medications on a regular basis, but I built up such a tolerance, it doesn't take long before nothing works. My doc was going to prescribe Ultram, but the combinations with my other meds was not good.
  8. zerped

zerped New Member

First off, my hat is off to the FMS people out there. I am so glad that I have the challenges I have and not the ones some of you have to face.

Next, please check with your doctor about using vicodin daily for very long periods of time. When you start getting into "years" rather than months, there can be permanent damage, not the least of which is going deaf. Ask your doctor about this.

Keep in mind that you don't want to have to go through withdrawls on these drugs. I've never kicked heroin, but kicked vicodin many years ago, and it was horrible. Friends and co-workers who've done both tell me vicodin's a milder version of heroin w/d.
  9. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Suzan:
    Vicoden for me, too. For me it is a good medicine for chronic pain.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  10. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

Don't wait until it gets bad-Take them on schedule.Since I've been doing this I feel much better.My doctor switched me from Lortab to Kadian(morphine)I am doing much better for the past month

.I also take Cyclobenzaprine,Effexor,Trazadone,Ambien(on occasion)Zocor,(for cholesterol)Avandamet(for diabetes)-the doctor said that if I have bad breakthrough pain she'd prescribe something(I took a Lortab one day when it was horrible)I don't like taking the narcotic.

The only thing that makes me fuzzy is Cyclobenzaprine .If I don't take the narcotics The pain takes over and I can't think at all.Sorry this is long.I guess I'm chatty today!
  11. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

Vicodin's a good drug for me, too. My doc is ok prescribing it, thank goodness. I hope that lasts.

I've used it off and on for years, and never have I seen any sign of addiction or even the need for higher doses -- when I'm not hurting much, Vicodin is the last thing on my mind! I do try, now, to take it when the pain is just starting to get worse, though --- I used to wait until I couldn't stand it, and then I never got much real relief. If I take it earlier (regularly on schedule if I'm in a flare) it does work much better, and I need less of it in the long run.
  12. tandy

tandy New Member

I'm just interested in the discusion here and have a question.
    I have extreme trouble getting ANY dr. to give me vicoden but they work well for me.
    I know this because whenever my SIL gets her script filled she'll give me a few of them.(Thank God for her!!) and I sit on them till a really bad pain day hits me then I take 1 vicoden.
    They help alot,and make me feel wired!!???
    Thats my question,....... Is this a common side effect with vicoden? I feel like I can acually get something done for once!! ??? wierd huh?
    Thanks~
    Tandy
  13. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

Some people do feel "wired" from them, others feel drowsy. For me, it is always such a relief not to be hurting that I get a little burst of energy and renewed desire to do things...It isn't the Vicodin, but the pain relief -- I know this because the same thing happens when a bad spasm finally lets go, with or without meds.
  14. dottiann

dottiann New Member

i have been taking opiates for over 20 years for knees and ankles, usually light use of apap4 but when you added thorassic outlet and carpal tunnel they upped the pain meds to vicodin and i have been taking 4 a day for 3 years now, Dr. switched me to norco has less aspirin in it. You have to self monitor to some degree , there will never be complete or even i think particlarly effective relief but a little something to take the edge off. Is it addictive, i dont know, i dont think so, i dont take them unless i hurt a great deal, and the doc has said not to wait till it gets bad, also i need help to sleep. I have been taking muscle relaxants and they dont work right on me either,
    I think it is a individual body response. I have a high pain tolorance, but i have to admit over time is is less that it was when i wlked on a unfused fusion for over a year, (that is a real owie)
  15. dottiann

dottiann New Member

when they figured i had developed fibro about a year ago, no one changed the pain meds, just added cymbalta and now lyrica.
    You do what you have to do to survive.
  16. tandy

tandy New Member

Sure wish I had a daily use script.

I get relief about 3 days a month from vicodins.
    So I save them for my horrible days.
    all the other days I just grin and bear it.

Take care :)