Do you wake up with shoulders drawn up tense to neck?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by liberty143, Nov 23, 2007.

1. liberty143

liberty143 New Member

I go to sleep, I think I'm relaxed, on Magnesium, Ativan (Lorazepam) 3 mg and Cymbalta 60 mg at bedtime. But, when I wake up, my shoulders and neck have tightened up so much they are drawn up and I have to force my shoulders down stretch and take a hot shower. I stretch everyday, I get a massage almost every week, I have a Tempurpedic (sp?) bed and pillow, I sleep with a pillow between my knees and have two to hold up my top arm, I fall asleep with a hot beanie under my neck....
    I have tried muscle relaxers and they don't do anything. I can't take anything like Ibuprofen because I am on the Guaifenesin protocol.
    Any suggestions?
  2. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

but I have the same problem. I'll be following this discussion and hope someone else has some suggestions we can BOTH try!

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  3. hannahfaid

hannahfaid New Member

I actually fall asleep on my back but wake in the night all hunched up, wake up with neck and shoulder pain... Plus I grind my teeth , when I wake up I am stiff allover, from head to toe! neck bothers me the most
  4. jewels920

jewels920 New Member

Me too.

The only thing I've found that helps, besides supplements, is to lie down on my back before sleep with a good supportive pillow under my neck and a pillow under my knees.

Then I focus on taking relaxed but deep breaths and consciously let go of the tension in my neck and shoulders. It takes many tries for me, as even when I'm completely focused on letting go and relaxing, I'll find my shoulders right back where they were--next to my ears. So, I patiently and consciously relax them again...it usually takes 15-20 minutes to get my shoulders to relax. If I'm under more stress than usual or having bad dreams--they'll tense right back up while I'm asleep!

I also watch my posture at the computer as I have a tendency to slouch, with my back rounded, my elbows on the table, forcing my shoulders upward. I try to watch my posture walking, too as I tend to slump and walk with my head down.

I think it's just one of those habits we have to constantly monitor to make any progress, IMHO!

Much love to you.

jules

5. Juloo

Juloo Member

Because I wake up the same way. Also, my arms are usually bent and folded tight against my chest, with my wrists bent in. I've tried several things with varying success. When it is particularly bad, I use those temporary (8-hour) patches that heat up when exposed to air. But they're expensive to use all over my body -- I was telling my husband just yesterday that I wish they made a body stocking with them all over it!
  6. hannahfaid

hannahfaid New Member

I tried those pillows that are suppose to help traction your neck while you sleep.. Good for back and side sleepers BUT I end up on my stomach and the pillow ends up on the floor! I also tried sleeping with wrist braces on, because I ball up my wrists too the braces end up off and on the floor too! LOL
  7. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I find myself doing it during the day. Ops, There I go again all scrunched up. Throw your shoulders back, it releases it.
  8. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

i havent noticed it upon awakening..but i notice it plenty during times when i should be relaxed. Even just sitting here at the computer or on a couch. I have to consciously lower them and try to relax.
  9. krchamp

krchamp New Member

I do that too. My massage therapist works so hard on my neck and shoulders. I have hunched over for so long trying to adjust to pain during the day that I am have a hump forming on the very base of my neck on my back. At night, like many of you, I go to sleep on my back with pillows all around and then wake up curled into a tight ball. My shoulders feel like they are up near my ears. I stretch and pull back on my arms, but my shoulders always seem to go right back up to my ears. I feel like I can stretch enough.
  10. Juloo

Juloo Member

A naturopath taught me these. They open up the upper chest area -- one of the many parts of me that gets 'crunched' on a regular basis.

Stand in an open doorway.

For the first stretch, place your hands on the doorframe each side of you at about mid-chest height. Take a step forward with one leg to feel the stretch across the chest to whatever degree you can take it. Hold for a few seconds before stepping back.

For the second stretch, place your elbows on the doorframe at shoulder height (lower arms and hands pointing straight up along the frame toward the ceiling). Step forward again to stretch.

It helps to do these a few times a day -- or whenever you think about it! Slow is good!
    [This Message was Edited on 11/25/2007]
  11. munch1958

munch1958 Member

Long term Abx has helped me the most with jaw, neck, shoulder and back pain. Finding the right Abx is the trick.

For my brand of infectious soup Minocin or Doxy work the best. Lately, I've been on babesiosis meds (Malarone + Zithromax.) Some of the muscle pain has lightened up even more. Night sweats too!

I've spend a ton of $$$$ chasing this down. I've tried almost everything else (acupuncture, chiropractic, weekly message therapy, we have an indoor pool and hot tub, homeoapathy, pain meds, diet changes, physical therapy and many other things.)

Finally, I have a Lyme and babesiosis diagnosis. I'm being treated properly and getting better! The biggest improvements for me came from heparin, hormones, yeast meds, and Abx.
  12. JaneSmith

JaneSmith New Member

Same thing happening with me. Thought I was the only one. I sleep half sitting up with a soft pillow under the crux of my neck. Seems to help. Not a lot but a little. Last night I took a Tylenol PM slept thru the night and felt much better in the morning. Prescription drugs work for 3 days and then I develope a side effect.
  13. sunset1

sunset1 New Member

the way life is!! I have to make myself lower my shoulders all day long. I don't know how to relax.
  14. Lindaanne

Lindaanne New Member

Yes you can take Ibuprofen on the protocol.
    One thing that helps with the neck tension is a buckwheat hull pillow. It gives the most support of anything I've ever used. I also have a reg pillow under it to raise it up a bit. I have the tempurpedic mattress and the tempurpedic pillow but it does not give enough support. The pressure is on your shoulders because your head is not on a stable enough surface. I find that anyway. I also sleep with a bed buddy in a u shape starting at the bottom of my hairline. I squish it until it's comfortable. I make a comfortable hole in the sobakawa pillow to accommodate it. Works like a dream. I've had a Discectomy fusion with 4 screws and a plate on cervical C6/7. I've tried many things but the sobokawa is the best. I also pay attention not to scrunch my shoulders up to my ears when I'm laying down. I never realized I did that till I went to PT.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/05/2007]
  15. floridagrl

floridagrl New Member

I am much better after seeing a chiro. Turns out I had disc injury in my neck. I also get very good trigger point massages. Chiro showed me x rays and said if I had not come in would have had to have surgey in about 10 years
  16. floridagrl

floridagrl New Member

I have a pillow that is filled with water that gives the correct support no matter how you end up laying
  17. suesiegel

suesiegel New Member

I have been working with a physical therapist for this. He thinks that it is related to a spasm in the muscles in the area of the first rib. This is the top rib, right around the level of your collar bone. At his office, he applies heat, and then does some hands on massage and stretching, which I think helps. He also gave me a stretching exercise that I do at home. I do this every time I feel pain and tighness in my shoulders and neck.

Use a hand towel or a belt. Put it over your shoulder, holding it with one hand in the front (the side that it is on), and one hand in the back. Tilt your head, ear to shoulder, in the opposite direction from the shoulder with the towel. As you tilt your head, gently pull on the towel, and hold it for a count of 5. Do a count of 10, and then switch sides.

Another thing that my PT questioned me about is my handbag. He said that I should keep it as light as I can, and not hold it over my shoulder. Rather, I should hold it in my hand, down at my side.

Hope this helps!
  18. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

ive had neck and shoulder cramping ever since my CFS started. i just figured it was because of the pressure on my spinal cord from the viral brain infection. but no one believed me.
  19. garedneck

garedneck New Member

i have a heated mattress pad that has adjustable heat. this helps for all over body pain.you can get them from walmart
  20. twerp

twerp New Member

A while back, when I was feeling better and taking some yoga classes, the instructor was constantly telling me to "stop wearing my shoulders as earrings".

I do it all the time. I'll notice it from time to time and try to hold my shoulders down and back, but, as soon as I get distracted with something else, they go right back up again!

Hugs,
    Twerp