Do you worry a lot, are you a pessimist, have negative thoughts?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 4isfamily, Feb 6, 2007.

1. 4isfamily

4isfamily New Member

I was wondering how many of people here relate to the above title. I certainly do. And with all the things I have been reading, I wonder if it did not contribute to my FM and slight depression. Especially after reading yesterday's post about lightning process. I did some research on it and basically you have to tell STOP your mind when it starts having negative thoughts and rather change it to positive thoughts. This goes in line with cognitive behaviour therapy. And meditation, sacred pose/being in a moment, focusing on positive thoughts. And biofeedback, re-training your brain by way of relaxing your muscles. And recent research saying that focusing on three positive things that happened to you before going to bed has amazing results with depression and good night sleep.

Well, I have started doing most of the above and I am convinced that positive attitude, trying to be happy and find and focus on good stuff does help. I am not saying it is a treatment and certainly everyone is different. But it is a good start. And why am I so positive today - I suspect that after two weeks of taking SAM-e I am onto something. No pain, good sleep, happy, this seems to be an amazing supplement.

Petra
  2. grace54

grace54 New Member

The more we concentrate on negativity the more we stress the body. I know it helps me to consider my thoughts, that is one thing I have the power to change. Thanks
  3. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

Positive thinking is the only way to go. I wouldn't be a happy person if I was negative all the time. I know people that are, and it IS depressing. They say you should surround yourself with positive people, because negative people will bring you down as well - and it IS true.

I look around and see things could be soooo much worse. Somebody asked me one time "Why Me" because they were having bad pain. I just said "Why NOT you". Pain isn't choosy. My two pals, FM and OA are always with me. Over the years, I have learned to live with them. One or the other is causing pain, but hey, I can walk and get out and about. I have a wonderful husband, two kids, and 3 great little gkids.

Pain is bad enough, but when you bring yourself down with negative thoughts you feel even worse.

Good on you for trying to find a different approach.
  4. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I agree with you, Petra. Adopting a positive outlook is one of the most effective ways a person can improve their quality of life.

For a person who is mired with negativity (such as I once was) re-training the mind to think more positively can be a challenging endeavor. However, it is possible to change a mindset and it is most certainly a worthwhile thing to do.

At the present, I keep a gratitude journal and write each day about something for which I feel grateful. This is a helpful tool for me because it puts me in a gratitude-seeking mindset. Day after day, I consciously look for something to feel grateful about so that I'll have something to write about in my journal.

Of course, thinking positively is not always easy (I have clinical depression) but, since I've started the work of becoming more positive, it seems I've been successful in changing my 'default mood setting'. It used to be that feeling negative was my default mood and a positive or happy mood was an aberration. Now it's the other way around and for that I'm grateful :)

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  5. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Many of us have trouble thinking positively and you have listed several helpful strategies. I am in a Cogitive Behavioural Therapy group for CFS patients and it is a big help.

Cheers
    Kathy
    [This Message was Edited on 02/06/2007]