Do you write your info and give to DR??Brain fog.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by keke466, Jul 7, 2006.

1. keke466

keke466 New Member

I can't seem to remember a whole lot anymore. Would it be a good idea for me to type up what I've learned on hear about FM/CF/MFPS and what I think I might possibly have and ask her to check me out for it and give me her opinion? There's several things I've learned about and think it applies to me.I don't think she'd be offended because I've suggested things before. Do you do this. I don't want her to think I'm a hypochondriac. Guess I'll just have to tell her I'm not and have never been sick much in my life anyway.

Would it be a good idea to document what past ailments I have had and maybe it might lead us to see when this started? Just wandering. Keke
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

It's always a good idea to have a list with you when you see your doctor.

List things in priority so if you don't get to all of them it won't matter so much.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  3. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

when I go to the doctor because if I don't I will forget everything I need to tell him/her.

I also list things in priority order. I ususlly use the notes myself, but the last time, I went in depth and gave him a full history and everything.
  4. TAM

TAM New Member

HI KEKE,
    YES ITS A WONDERFUL IDEA TO WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN OTHERWISE YOU WILL FORGET TO MENTION SOMETHING IMPORTANT. BESIDES IT WILL BE MORE EASY FOR YOUR DOCTOR TO HELP YOU. TAKE CARE, AND GOOD LUCK.
    TAMMY
  5. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I began using lists recently and it's a wonderful technique. I forget. I carry in a list of supplements, medicines, surgeries, allergies, and a list of why I am there that day.

I could not remember and it has helped me so much when I have to go to the doctors. I keep the list and change and update them as I change meds and an ongoing list for each doctor.
  6. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

If I didn't make notes on what I wanted to ask, I'd forget at least half of what I wanted to ask or tell her. I make them very brief and note them in order of importance and make brief remarks to jog my own memory. I ask or tell her from the list I made for myself. I don't give her one.

I have printed out info on mps before and taken it to them, when I thought they didn't understand exactly what I was talking about. He - being the previous doctor- read it and commented that there were actually some things in there that he didn't know.....which means he read some of it, at the very least. The NP that works with him and that I have now been blessed with actually has some very similar conditions to mine with the fm, and the mps, and she also has lupus, which I don't, so she's already put some research into most of it herself.

I think she understands why I take notes in with me. I just have to be as brief as possible to get the point across. We have a designated period of time to cover everything in, and we usually get everything from that list addressed.

I haven't tried tracking it back (with the doc or the NP)to when mine actually started. I think that's just a personal thing if you want to know or not. That may be something that you want to do for yourself and it will give you a pretty good idea of how far back it really goes. I think I'm afraid to really try to guess how long I've actually been "developing" this. I can now recognize common symptoms all the way back to childhood.

I understand the feeling like a hypochondriac part. I've felt this way myself, but I was only trying to educate them on the symptoms (parts of the whole, I suppose) where they didn't seem to recognize the connection. I don't think they saw me in that light. That was just my own fears, in this case. I've gotten past that now.

This gave me a pretty good idea of what kind of doc I had, too. The ones that really want to help you will sometimes know parts of it and are still receptive (like mine was) to a little new information. I made it brief and highlighted the parts that applied to me and that way I knew they would at least skim over parts of it.

I feel very blessed to have the healthcare team that I have now, even if I do have to take them some of the information occassionally, they care enough about me to read it.

I think if you want to make notes, then do it. You have to ask questions. Because this is such a body wide condition, it just makes it that much more necessary to piece together the information and remember to ask about everything that you can. Until the symptoms are fully identified, they can't be effectively treated. That's just my opinion on it.
    Best Wishes,
    MrsJ
  7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I've found that it depends on the doctor. I used to have a history typed up beginning back when I first was diagosed with CFS. It included the drugs I've taken, the results, and, of course, what I currently take.

One nurse was thrilled to have it, a doctor tossed it back at me and told me just to tell her, another took it but never referred to it.

I do always take a list though, otherwise, in my desire not to take too much time (!) I forget things.

Keke, I see one thing here about you and about me: we worry too much. Just do what you feel comfortable doing and I'll do that same thing. ;>)

Marta
  8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

keke:

I make a mental list, rehearse it and am ready for the doc.
    I do not like writing out a list because I have gotten bad reactions from doctors in the past.

Just my experience....

nyrofan