Do your coworkers think you are antisocial because of CFS/FMS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SweetT, Jul 25, 2006.

1. SweetT

SweetT New Member

This is my problem. But with my fatigue; pain; memory; concentration; sensitivity to loud noise and bright light, I can no longer socialize plus work. I'm a rank and file staff memmber, so even with a doctor's note, I haven't been granted a private office. Work is super-stressful and miserable, but I know it's a blessing to have a full-time job and thus have health insurance.
  2. kjfms

kjfms Member

I have found through the years it is just not a good idea. It has nothing to do with FMS.

I just not like the idea of people with whom I have a professional relationship knowing anything of my personal life they are separate. That is just the way I am.

I found out years ago it can become uncomfortable if you have a disagreement outside of work and the other person can not separate the two environments.

Thanks,

Karen :)
  3. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

add this DD and it equals no friends. What do I have to contribute to a conversation when I don't have a clue as to what they are talking about. My world is very small compared to my healthy "friends". They don't have the time or know what to do with someone who isn't active and healthy like them.
    Its a shame. They don't realize they are missing out on a very loyal and loving friend they could have in me.

Raz
  4. jsholden

jsholden New Member

I have the same problem. My boss even talked to me behind closed doors about it. It was going to cost me my job. Almost to say as if I was effecting morale.... I work in a call center. Stressful and a loud enviornment. It is bad for me physically. What can you do besides try to work with your doctor and get the right meds and take care of yourself....
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

SweetT,

I worked for the federal government for 30 years. It was a massive facility with tons of huge, old buildings, and rows and rows of cubicles!! In all my years of employment, I had a private office for only about half of them. I was extremely lucky and only had it because I worked with the top management and some confidential/classified materials.

I was also lucky about the socializing part--especially after hours. Our facility was out in the middle of nowhere (because it was classified), so all of the workers had to drive in from nearby cities--a minimum of 30 minutes. I had to drive 75 minutes to get there from my job. Everyone lived so far away from each other that it was not practical to socialize with each other on our off-hours.

The only socializing during work hours, for me, was during our 1/2-hour non-paid lunch period -- and that wasn't much time to talk!!

I agree with you about it being super stressful and miserable (my job was, too) and the fact that it is a blessing to have a full-time job with good health insurance.

Thanks to my job, I have excellent medical, dental, eye, and prescription benefits during my retirement. The biggest job for me, though, was just making it to early retirement!!! I never thought I would last long enough to retire!

I hope your health holds out until you can retire, too.

BTW, they were good enough to buy me a special orthopedic chair, wrist rests, head piece for my phone, etc. to accomodate my pains.

Hugs,
    Janet
  6. Juloo

Juloo Member

But I work in a small office, so they know the situation. I also have a son, a husband, and a house to care for (besides myself and my job). It doesn't hurt that my husband is the boss, either.

BTW, although the others in the office don't have CFS, we're all sort of 'hermits'. At lunch we sit at our computers and surf the web, and don't say a word to each other -- it's rather relaxing!
  7. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I work in an office with three other gals. Two are in open areas at the front of the office, one, the office manager, is down the hall a little ways in one direction and I am down the hall in the other. I am the newest employee and have only been here a year.

The other gals congregate in the front area and talk. I can hear them from my office, but very seldom go out and join the conversation. I just don't have the energy and I have too much work to do.

I'm sure they think I'm standoffish, but I am there to work.

I belong to Red Hat and do enjoy the monthly dinner out with the "girls". I don't do the extra stuff because planning ahead doesn't usually work out. I'm sure you can all relate to that.

Otherwise, my social life is my DH, DDs, and other family.

JANET: Sounds like you worked at Hanford!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and hug the puppies!
  8. kjfms

kjfms Member

yes it makes it easier. I am not unfriendly or rude or anything I am just there to do my work.

I still have to play the office political game though...LOL

Thanks,

Karen :)
  9. doxielover70

doxielover70 New Member

Where I don't really care if people think I am antisocial or not. LOL!

I work in a small office and most of the times I am by myself. When I am home it is just hubby and our dogs and I like that life.

It is important to have as little intrusions or stresses for me right now.
  10. kaymac

kaymac New Member

I'm in a office, with 2 women, and the boss. They know my problem and they try to be understanding, but even I don't understand this DD so I can't fully expect them too. I do get poked at alot for being slow....and when we travel for conventions or work related, I am slower and refuse the shopping sprees...I simply can't. The good thing that happened is one co worker had surgery, and this left her slow on her return and in the process she has a new light on my DD. She knows what is like to be limited, held up, not able to go as much anymore.

I groan and moan during day alot, especially if I have to get up from sitting too long, and I don't care if they hear it or not. It hurts, and I can't help that. It is hard at times turning down things that I used to be able to do and now can't tho. But life goes on.

kaymac