Do your joints crack?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mtugrad, Jan 10, 2004.

1. mtugrad

mtugrad New Member

Do your joints often feel like you want to crack them? I keep feeling a tightness and stiffness in my joints that makes me want to stretch and crack them to loosen them up. Also, is it unusual that I can every joint in my body? (this even includes ankles, wrists, jaw, hips etc.)

I think it might be from the ligaments and tendons being less flexable and stiff causing resistance to what should be smooth movement of the joint.

Just wondering if it was common.
  2. rene71

rene71 New Member

Mine started cracking after my fibro started with the mycoplasma infection-- it is part of the symptoms that I have, now it is getting worse and it looks more like arthritis.
  3. Buddyben

Buddyben New Member

One of my first symptoms was my joints feeling stiff and painful. I go to an excellent massage therapist who tells me the cracking/popping is ok - it is releasing tension in the joint. I wouldn't want to crack my jaw though - too risky what with the possibility of TMJ disorder. Anyway, if you do regular stretching, everything will feel so much smoother. I recommend a beginner level yoga class in a noncompetitive environment - you really must go at your own pace. Good luck.

HAPPYDOGSUZ7777 New Member

My joints all crack when I stretch but the worst is my neck it (crunches) when I turn my head! Hate It!!
  5. marilew

marilew New Member

I can even crack my ear!!!
    My neck is by far the worst and I have very weak ankles. Even as a kid when I ran my ankles would give out.
    Yup...lots of cracking joints here too
  6. libra55

libra55 New Member

My kids always know when I'm coming towards their bedroom to say goodnight to them because the house is usually very quiet by that time and they tell me they can hear my bones cracking as I make my way down the hall.

My ankles are the worst offenders.

Creaking and cracking,
  7. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

My knees and neck are always making noise. Thinking of setting it to music (smile)
  8. sacdp29

sacdp29 New Member

I crack too, when I move my neck it will crack/pop and also my ankles, knees, etc.
    It must be part of it, my doctor did not seem concerned and said it would not be harmful. It does feel better afterwards though.

9. vix

vix New Member

They do indeed crack,feel as you have discribed. I have heard fish oil supplements can help however and am going to give that a go.

10. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

they all crack on command or when I load them up to walk across the room! the neck, hip, elbows, fingers wrists and ankles are my worst culprits! They use to feel better after cracking, but the hip joints and ankles are now painful all the time whether I crack them or not.... :(
  11. carol43

carol43 New Member

OH ny gosh my neck crunches so bad it almost makes me sick. I hate that sound.
  12. masondbb

masondbb New Member

Me too. I can sit and bend my foot and hear it crack anytime I want. My knees also crack when I bend. Yes it is a very common thing with this fibro.
  13. GrannyT

GrannyT New Member

I agree with Carol. The "crunchies" in the neck are the worst.

Granny T
  14. peaceflowergal

peaceflowergal New Member

Mine do too. Was symptom of subclinical hypothyroidism. During times when my body temperature is normal and my coordination and reflexes are fine, my joints do not crack any more, except for my right ankle.

15. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I hope I never have to sneak up on anybody! It kind of gives me the "creeps". The sound of my right knee cracking and popping every time I go up and down the stairs.

I take a supplement that is supposed to help the joints. So far, no change.

16. Wreckless

Wreckless New Member

I was telling my 9 year old that I was going to sneak up to thier bedroom door to make sure that him and the 12 year old were being quiet and not playing video games after bed time.

He laughed and smiled and said "dad, you can't sneak up on us, we can hear your bones cracking as you come down the hallway, we always know when you are coming"

I could not help but laugh. Who would have thought that I would have a built in warning system for my kids?
    Hope that helps
  17. KittyCat

KittyCat New Member

Hello All-
    How can you tell whether you have Fibro or R.A.? I have not yet been diagnosed, but for the past 3-4 months, when I wake up I feel as though I've spent 8 hours doing hi impact aerobics. My arms, shoulders, back and neck ache every day. It even hurts to open my car door. Are Fibro and R.A. symptoms very similar?

18. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Mine crack from hypermobility. About 2 dozen times per day.

best thoughts.
  19. moonlightkitty

moonlightkitty New Member

from hypermobility that is. Possibly every single joint. And yes, I can make my nose and ear tissue crack too - weird!
  20. 30feeling80

30feeling80 New Member

I stumbled upon this older post and found it interesting; worth bringing up again.

My joints have cracked since I was a teenager. However this may sound odd....I could hear cracking joints or a 'pop' when my baby-in-utero moved. (He is now 4 years old).

I have had a mycoplasma infection since I was 9 (that caused pneumonia). I wonder if I passed my infection on to my baby.(?) He doesn't have pneumonia. I was just wondering if he could have the stealth mycos like I do now.

What do you think?