Do Your Kids Understand

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sisland, Mar 8, 2007.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

Or try to understand your illness? My youngest is Having a Very hard time accepting That Fm Has basicaly taken over my life,,,,,,,,,,,,Of course i Fight to stay well,,,,,,,,,,Just as you all do! But it doesn't always work!I Have Been Down In Bed for 5 days with a major trigger point going on in my lumbar spine area, off to the right!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,First time in a wheelchair in my life (scarey!),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,My Daughter was home for spring Break and Had to help me to the Dr's office and to to the Bathroom etc,,,,I Had to get a big shot of prednisone (SP),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Still recovering! I Just over did it Big time with the puppy and hauling in grocerys one day last week and boom down i went!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,She has a very hard time accepting this is happening to her Mom, I'm sure all Kids do! She's treating Me like i'm Her Kid! Is this Normal?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,S
    [This Message was Edited on 03/09/2007]
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

It can be normal....especially if they're not around to see what's happening on a daily basis.

When my son visited almost 2 years ago, he was just floored by how bad I had gotten and didn't understand that the things I was saying weren't a joke, I just couldn't talk right at the time.

He had a hard time accepting it although he was raised with me being sick and had helped me on a daily basis while he was growing up. And he's very considerate, helping me up, carrying things for me, and will even tuck me in bed if needed.

It's just something they don't expect....many here have unsupportive husbands who live with them and see them on a daily basis and still don't 'get it'.

Plus they may not want to look at it at all. You're the Mom afterall and it can be scary to wonder if you too will end up like this.

Nancy B
  3. sisland

sisland New Member

It's so sad! It's like our life's Have been taken away from us! and then when the Kids see this they are blown away! ,,,,,,,,,,,,It's Hard on all of us!,,,,,,,,,,,,and she's very emotional about it all too! sounds like your son is very nice to his Mom!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Did you find a new home yet?,,,,Hope so!,,,,,,,,,,,S
  4. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

My 27 year old "only child" daughter seems to understand that I'm sick, but for the first 23 years of her life, I was a very strong, healthy, athletic, go-getter woman. So, I think she's struggling with how diminished I have become. She has a lot of her own medical problems,so she seems to be in denial about mine. I think she feels helpless to do anything to cure me, so she avoids me. Or maybe it's too painful for her to deal with me like this with all the stuff she's currently going through herself.

I understand, but I feel lonley and alienated none the less.

5. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks for your responce! sorry to hear of your daughters illness also! My Daughters also saw a Fairly Healthy woman in me up until i got diagnosed in 1998,,,,Now it's a whole different story!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sad But true!
  6. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

We haven't found a new home yet but we're going to look at that beautiful house one more time today, and we have an appt to look at another apartment this morning.

Nancy B
  7. sisland

sisland New Member

Good luck! Hope it all goes well for you and your family!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,S
  8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

seeing us so ill and for so long.

My daughter, 30, has CFS, not severe but bad enough so she understands.

My son, 25, is so used to seeing me ill and in bed that he no longer asks how I am.......