Do your legs ache?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Sep 15, 2006.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

It is hard to describe the aching in my legs because it is, well, kind of subtle. It feels sort of like weakness almost or like I have been walking fast and taking big strides for a mile or so. I hope that is clear as mud!!!

I am wondering if it could be restless leg but the usual restlessness I have is when I am tired late at night and I feel the creepy crawlies and have to move my legs. When that happens, I just go to bed.

Thanks in advance for the replies
    God Bless,
    Sonya
  2. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

My legs ache really bad if I have to do a lot of standing.

But I also know the creepy crawly thing too. Some times my legs just crawl under the skin instead of twitch.

When it is that time of the month my hips ache and my legs too. Feels like I have weights on my legs or I am walking in quick sand!

3. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

In fact, I am experiencing them right now! UGH!!

They feel like they almost ache in the bone...its a slight ache like you said, but a really nagging one.

I am on Mirapex for my severe RLS, but I still get a little restless feeling. Perhaps it is because I have not reached the maxiumum dosage yet.

My legs give me the worst pain. They are by far, the most painful part of my Fibro.

Hugs,
    Stephanie
  4. Noahvale

Noahvale New Member

hi Sonya,

I am sorry to hear that your legs are achey. When ever I am up tomuch on my feet or I just palin don't rest they get real achey. I have bneen to the doctors several times for this and they tested me for Potassium difficency -- it turned out negative all three times that I have went in. When they see me coming I can just see them rollig their eyes in the air ...one nurse ssid to me that it was all in my head, but my ache terribly bad all the time anymore.

If you find out why yours is achey let me know.
    My prayers are with you Sonya!

God bless

Noahvale--kathy
  5. lisabk

lisabk New Member

All week long I've been dealing with sinus issues (allergy time around here) that keep me literally off-balance, plus this sort of weakness in my legs... it's been a heck of a week! My legs are as strong as ever - I lift, keep walking, whatever - it's just that my legs feel "spacey".

If that makes any sense at all.

Which, you know, it doesn't. None of this does. Total brain fog going with IBS? How does *that* work?

I'm still coming to terms with this diagnosis. I just can't believe this is what I have! Leave it to me to "get" something that will get better on a whim.

Gah.
  6. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

It is very comfoting to know that this type of description will be vert detailed to y'all. It is so hard to explain to anyone else.

Livnlife,
    Your description is perfect too. It is like the ache of exertion, but you have not been doing anything, just walking a few steps. One of the reasons I asked is to also decide if taking pain meds will help, which you answered.

The doc gave me Vicodin recently and I do not want to waste any. I was so happy when I found out (here, of course) that the achy, flu-like feeling was truly pain and I was able to knock it out with pain killers.

That is the worst symptom for me. It makes me feel completely miserable.

Redwillow,
    Yes, like you, my legs and hips ache worse at that time of the month too, but this was a different ache, sort of low grade, if you know what I mean. Walking in quicksand or with weights on your legs is a perfect description too.

I used to wear leg weights around the house (before I got sick, of course) and it would give much the same feeling of strain, only more so.

I am usually a fast walker and found that it helped to SLOW DOWN and not let me feet hit so hard on the ground too. My husband says I shake the house when I walk, but they do too (hubby and daughter). It just seems that fast and hard go together with walking.

I had to go to Sam's to get my Klonopin yesterday afternoon and I am sure some of you know that sometimes that is a long walk from the car to the pharmacy (other end of the store from the in door) and back out to the car.

I prayed to find a close spot (thank my God that I did) and then walked slowly and gently while I was in there and that did help.

God bless and thanks,
    Sonya
  7. teeger

teeger New Member

HI everyone:

I didn't want to admit that I have fibro. I didn't want to think at my age it would start getting worse. My legs now feel like I have had massive charlie horses and the muscles are very sore. The doc thought that maybe it was sciatica but I told him it wasn't. It doesn't go down my butt but near the hips and in the back of the thigh. It has attack my knee and my ankle. It is very hard to get up from a chair. I do not want to take pain pills if I don't have to. Right now tylenol is what I take. It doesn't take all the pain away but it helps. I constantly have headaches and OH yes IBS. And this is the golden years. lol
    Anna
  8. TerryS

TerryS Member

Yep. Mine have been "aching" for over 30 years now...so do my daughter's. Feels like it's deep within the bone.

Usually it's mild and just annoying. Just within the last 18 months it, from time to time, has became more extreme and associated with great weakness in my legs (also in my arms).

Just got a formal diagnosis of FM about three weeks ago.

TerryS
  9. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

I have been like this for 2 weeks now.

We've been having thunderstorms here and I think that has contributed to it....it's also getting colder here.

I hope my whole winter isn't going to be like this.
  10. MsE

MsE New Member

I can no longer remember a day my legs didn't ache. It is a bone deep ache combined with a sort of burning sensation on the skin. It seldom goes away.
  11. browneyelady48

browneyelady48 New Member

My legs is my worse pain, you described it good. Its like if I am walking or standing for any length of time, they hurt sooooo bad, and feel heavy and weak. Whats up with this. Brenda
  12. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

My legs have been hurting much worse lately for some reason and it seems to be my left one that is worse.

Night before last I had to almost cry myself to sleep they hurt so bad I couldn't do anything but lay down.

Motrin helps a little but I take oxycodone for pain also which isn't to helpful in relieving aches.

If you experience RLS try using a bar of Ivory Soap and putting it under your bottom sheet at the foot of your bed. So many have said it works wonders.

Love & Hugs!
    carolin
  13. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Sonya:

I get terrible leg pains if I do not take my meds, so now I make it a habit to stay on a med schedule. I have very little leg pain now.

A doctor once told me to take the meds before the pain starts to get a jump start on it.

nyrofan
  14. pattigaul

pattigaul New Member

what kind of meds are you on for the leg pain? I am taking vicoprofin 4 times a day and find myself taking 5 or 6 a day and I still have pain. Patti
  15. suz45

suz45 New Member

Sonya:

Understand where you are coming from, I have been in and out of flare for overa month now, today not being one of my better ones. Legs are aching, general annoying ache that began this morning...

So what to do. If you can try to strech gently, I have found sitting or lying down to be the worst thing for me. So today I did my easiet yoga called restoration, calms the mind, body and soul... Decided later legs still aching upped my malic acid and went for a short walk even though my legs hurt (back too)

I am not big into pain relivers, but today I did take Naproxen Sodium as that is how uncomfortable I was feeling.

The walk did help and did distract me too. The leaves are really pretty here in western NY. The cool air actually felt good.

If you continue to have the buggy, crawling feeling check in with your doctor, there is a new med on the market for RLS I beieve called Requip, my father in law takes it and it seems to help him.

Feel better soon,

In wellness,

Suz45
  16. carebelle

carebelle New Member

this has been one of the worse pains I have had. It does feel like at that time of the month but even worse and in my low back and hips also.

This is one of the pains for me that has gotten worse with time and now I have it all the time. I have not found anything to stop the pain.Kinda feels like when you hit your crazy bone but it doesnt stop.
  17. Lisa1

Lisa1 Member

Hi there,

My leg aches are probably my worst pain problem as well, although my whole body can ache at times. And I always describe the pain as feeling as if I am coming down with the flu.

I have found that taking Neurontin on a regular basis helps tremendously. And I'm sure it helps me because I recently decreased my dosage way down to see if my pain levels changed and they definitely did! I take 1200 mg in the morning and 1200 mg at bedtime. It can make you drowsy, so you have to watch that.

The other thing that helps me is Vicodin. Of course, I try not to take that any more than I have to, even though my doctor is extremely good about rx'g for me whenever I need it. Sometimes I still have to take the Vicodin for breakthru pain, but not nearly as much as when I was off the Neurontin.

I hope this helps some.

Lisa
  18. wkirk87

wkirk87 New Member

I have the same feeling often actually, and I asked my great doc (Neurologist) if it might be the restless legs thing and he said:

Very few people have the restless legs thing.
    The people that are doing the clinical trials for that treatment have it really bad to the point where it pretty much ruins their lives.

So, I figured I didn't have it and that my occasional discomfort in my legs was just part of the CFS. The mild pain/discomfort/whatever in my legs isn't much and wasn't there before I got CFS, and it alone isn't anywhere near ruining my life. I also move my legs a fair amount when trying to sleep, but I think it's just part of the insomnia that comes from the anxiety of living with this DD.

Good luck!!

EDIT: I'll try that Requip thing and see if it helps me. I wonder how many people with RLS also have CFS/FM, just like how many people with Sinusitis also have CFS/FM...[This Message was Edited on 10/07/2006]