Do your legs "freeze" up?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by believer1059, Oct 14, 2005.

1. believer1059

believer1059 New Member

Hello
    My name is Carolyn and I'm 44 years old. I guess I've had this "syndrome" for quite a few years now. Prob. about 8 or 9. I'm also a widow now. Have been for 4 years. I have a daughter who is 15 and is all excited because she got her driver's permit last week! Anyway...everytime I sit in a certain position for just a few minutes and then try to stand and walk....there is lots of pain and my legs don't seem to want to move. After a minute or so....I can move on, but the pain is horrible and sometimes it makes my feet turn in too. I'm a big gal, so I know that doesn't help either, but here in the last year or so, I've gotten so weak that I'm really considering a "scooter" or power chair. Also, I've been having tremendous pain in my shoulders lately too! Hurts sooooo bad! The dr. just says it's the Fibro acting up. I half scared myself silly because I kept thinking I had clogged arteries all over my body because of the leg thingy, but when it started happening to my arms too I settled myself down and tried to think of it as just the Fibro. Whatever it is......it makes my life real hard most of the time. I've buried a dad, a husband, & a mom in the last few years and now it's just my daughter and me. We do quite well though, but this leg pain and stiffness is beginning to dampen my spirit. I've overcome so many sad times in my life and now I want skip among the butterflies and I can't......Any thoughts?

God's peace to all
    Carolyn
  2. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

Oh, that's just mom falling down again. This was heard a lot at my house when I first started with the DD. Every time I'd sit for a while, when I'd get up, the legs either didn't want to move, or just colapsed under me. I still do it sometimes, but not as often. I try not to sit for long periods of time.
  3. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

My legs have two tricks they pull on me. One is that sitting too long makes them forget how to get out of that position. Another is to go "Gumby" on me. By that, I mean I am able to get up and seem to be ambulating just fine, when BAM, they go all rubbery on me. Hate it when that happens!
  4. AutumnSkky

AutumnSkky New Member

I'm sorry don't think it rude of me but I had to laugh when i read the thread that said oh thats just mom falling again.....I couldn't tell you how many times i've tried to get up and then fallen right back to the floor becuase my legs weren't with me and is it bad or good when it's happened so often that now you just say "dammit" when it happens. We're all with you Carolyn hang in there.
  5. Mareeok

Mareeok New Member

You,ve been through so much sadness in such a short time. You sound like you are making the best of things and keeping a good attitude. You're a strong woman.

My legs freeze up just occationally and it always bothers me when they do. It comes on unexpectedly. If you get a scooter get a liscense that says, "Look Out Hot Momma"!