Do your pain meds get rid of the pain, or just lessen it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pookieruth, Nov 13, 2006.

1. pookieruth

pookieruth New Member

After practically begging my rhuemy for a pain med, she very hesitantly gave me ultram. I was so grateful - but it doesn't help that much. Should I expect a pain med to totally get rid of the pain, or be satisfied to find one that reduces it?

Thanks, Lee
  2. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

nope - I am on stronger ones and I say "they take the edge off"
    Sorry - wish I could say there is a miracle drug out there, but I do not think so. There are, however, stronger ones than what you are taking.
    Hugs
    Kim
  3. abcanada

abcanada New Member

Agreed, they tend to just take the edge off for me! Laura
  4. beachwalkerbill

beachwalkerbill New Member

The best therapies prevent pain. After I am in pain it’s like shoveling water up hill. Pain meds will keep me able to work……..but not effectively. I only use them for break through pain.
    Bill
  5. Manaleon

Manaleon New Member

right now, all i have for the pain is naproxin. it doesn't touch the pain but i take it anyways hoping it will work. in another month i'm going to see a rhumy.

for muscle spasms i have flexeril and it relaxes all of my muscles except for the ones that are spasming.
  6. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

i guess since that is such a strong drug it would be more effective that ours. I feel like I may be in less pain with that type but too afraid I would not be able to function...

Do you function okay?

Hugs
    Kim
  7. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

thats great - who knows they may try me on that someday. I am glad your pain is uder control.
    Hugs
    Kim
  8. blkkat

blkkat New Member

sorry i havent tried ultram. im on 10mgs oxycontin 2xday & 5mgs of oxycodone 6x day, neurontin 100mgs 4x day, 20mgs prozac 1xday and at bed time im on 1.5mgs of clonzapam ! whoa thats alot but still it only takes the edge off!!!! i feel so sorry you havent found a DR yet that has helped you please keep looking! what state are you in ? im in wash. state. GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS!!! BLKKAT
  9. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I take Vicodin and Percocet for pain and I have to say that they normally just take the edge off. Some days they do a little more but they never take the pain totally away.

I know some docs are really hesitant about giving prescriptions for pain meds which is really unfortunate. Perhaps looking into a new doc would be worthwhile if you feel you need something stronger and your doc isn't providing that for you.
  10. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I still have pain and it gets worse when the weather gets bad and cold . And I am on some strong narocitics and you would think that my pain would be gone or I would be out for the count. As I am on MScontin 100 mgs 4 x a day And MSIR 30mg x4 a day And soma also 4 times aday.

Yes I know that I am on a lot of pain meds. But I see a pain doctor and have done for over 5 years now and I didn't start out on what I take now. I tried many different kinds of meds that did nothing or made me have strange reactions to them.

Some just did not work at all.
    I have how ever juts lowered my dose of MScontin from 5 a day to 4 a day and I am trying to get it even lower.
    I don't like to have to explain to other doctors why I am taking such a HIGH dose of such a strong narcoitic. And If

I can manage my pain with other ways I will lower my doseage. I can't stand the feelings and hurtfull things that I have been told by family and friends for takeing the amount of pain meds I am on now.

And I have reached the point that I can deal with the pain throbbing better than I can family telling me that I am addicted .

I don't mean to bring this up but it is hard to be on strong pain meds as you have to deal with what people think about you. And how they react when they find out. I have been told on other places that WOW I can't belive that your doctor would give you THAT STRONG of Narocitcs. MINE WON't.

My doctor checks me every month to moniter my pain and my meds and I leave it up to him to be able to judge what is best for me to take and how long I should be on that dose.

I know that you won't judge me for the meds and dose's I am takeing. IT is really hard for me to tell any one what I take as I don't like the reactions I have gotten from them and it has hurt me alot. So if I sound a bit touchy that is why. I don't mean to sound like cranky or Bit#$y.

I wanted to tell you what I am taking for this post. But It is really hard for me to tell any one after the nasty remarks I have gotten.
    Thanks,Rosemarie
  11. jole

jole Member

For the pain and a muscle relaxant. they don't begin to end the pain, but do take the edge off. I have asked for stronger, but don't get it. I have even promised to use it for only the worst pain during weather changes, etc., and still can't get anything else.

It really makes me angry!
  12. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I started with this diagnosis about 25 years ago...

My rheumatologist prescribed pain meds which worked for three to six months. Then they stopped working. She upped the dose, they helped for three to six months and then, they stopped working. She would up the dose. I never asked, just told her I was not getting relief.

Checking the PDR, I knew I was slowly creeping up to the max dose.

When the pain came back, it was as bad as before, when I was on no drugs. The only difference was, I would ingesting some powerful stuff that could damage me in other ways. Years later she tried another class of drugs... the same thing. Ultram did noting for the pain, I just cared less about the pain.

I weaned myself off the pain meds. I have used myofascial release, aquatic exercising, pilates, stretching, continue to keep regular appointments with a physical therapist.

Yes, I have pain but I know that I have no MORE pain than being on big gun pain meds.

We, on the board, should not judge others, though, in how we approach pain management.

Some might think my pain was "not as severe as theirs." Well, I could barely move at one point, should not have been driving a car because I could not turn my head far enough side to side to be safe. I would drive to work (we needed my health benefits--could not quit) and be totally exhausted from waking, dressing, driving....I would cry in the parking lot before I went in. The pain was bad, not to mention the feeling of having the flu all the time. Well, you guys know.

But we all need to find our own way. Being at this for 25 years my learning curve was flat for a long time, there was very little information out there.

We have come a long way.....and yet NOT.

We have to fight a lot of critism from our medical community, family and friends.

Let's only be supportive of one another here.

Thanks, June

13. Suzan

Suzan New Member

That if you are seeing a doctor that will not help you manage your pain, you need to find a doctor that will!
    I used ultram when I was first dx'd. That was right after the FDA said it worked for fibromyalgia. I had to bring the article in to my doctor !! I would say that it made the pain manageable...for about 3 months...and then it was liking taking nothing at all.

So, the doctor prescribed vicoden, which has helped my manage the pain ( for the most part!) for the last couple years. I would not say that it eliminates all the pain. And because it is a short lived drug...I have to remember to watch the clock and make sure I dose on time or the it can't catch up with my pain level. When you are ALREADY in pain...they do not work as well. You need to take them ahead of the pain.

That part alone gets so many of us in trouble. Doctors either don't know..or don't tell us...that you have to take the pain medication ahead of the pain it order to have it be successful. I just learned...( after 3 years!) that vicoden works best on an empty stomach....WHY WASN"T I TOLD THIS BY any of the 4 different doctors that I have dealt with???

IMHO you shouldn't have to BEG for medicine to help you with pain. See a different doctor if you are able. If not, what I have done is taken in various articles about my illness, and I have gone in with detailed pain diaries. It is harder for them to ignore you if you go in knowledgeable.

Good luck with your treatment!
  14. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I HAVE LEARNED TO REDUCE THE PAIN TREMENDOUSLY THROUGH THE METHODS I HAVE DESCRIBED.

WHEN THE PAIN RARES ITS UGLY HEAD, I WORK AT REDUCING IT, AND WITH PROPER METHODS, THE LEVEL GOES DOWN.

SO IT IS NOT A MATTER OF GETTING USED TO THE PAIN BECAUSE AFTER THE AQUATIC EXERCISE, I FEEL THE RELIEF, THE AMOUNT OF PAIN IS GREATLY REDUCED.

FONDLY JUNE
  15. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

lol as you can see it differs in us all which is what makes us so hard to treat.

i am now finally on a good balance but it took work on my part too with things like pacing, managment and education.
    i'm on 50mg of amitriptyline for sleep (taken before bed)
    2mg of tizanidine for spasms and upto
    300mg of tramadol a day but somedays i can go with only 100mg and somedays i am very very grateful for the full 300mg.(fm and m e)

16. mary124

mary124 New Member

I take vicodin 10mg for my pain (IC) Interstitial Cystitis pain. It just barely takes the edge off of it.
  17. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

My script is 1-2 tabs. 4x's qd. I take 2tabs. 4x's qd = 400mg qd. Does it get all the pain? Nope, but the pain is alot less.

I am going to ask for Ultram ER when I see the doctor this week. I know ultram stays in our system longer, it is longer acting so I think the Extended Release would be better so i am not taking so often.

I also take Lyrica 150mg 2x'sqd (for pain & fatigue), and Mirapex .0125mg 2x'sqd (for myoclonic jerks).

As others have said, everyone is different. I would give the Ultram longer to work.

Wondering, what dosage are you on? Maybe you posted already and I missed.

I hope you find relief and take care,
    Blessed Be and Kitten Hugs,
    Laurie

18. Cindyvr

Cindyvr New Member

I take Ultram too. I take two pills three times a day. I start this today. Yest I was at the Dr and he upped the dosage of this and the Lyrica that I am on.He also wants me to do water therapy. My legs have been hurting something awful and I can't bend my kness. I can't sit in the tub to take a bath because I can't bend my legs enoough to get down. he said he thinks my muscles sre constricting..I think thats the word he used. I know before that the Ultram only dimmed the pain. Don't know what will happen now so I will try and let you know in a few days!!
    Cindy
  19. sueliza

sueliza New Member

It is amazing how differently we all react to different drugs!

I have been on Ultram for two years and can still only take 25mg at a time. If I take 50mg it upsets my stomach. I usually take 25mg and then about two hours later take the other half.

This reduces my pain enough to get through the evening. Also, my dr gave me vicoden three weeks ago. I told her there was probably once or twice a week that even after the ultram I was in tears. She said she had absolutely no problem giving it to me - I think I need to stick with her!

Anyway, I have done exactly what I told her I would do and have taken a total of two vicoden in three weeks. I have to break these in half too, but they take away 75% of the pain and I feel a lot better than I do on the ultram.

I hope the ultram gives you some relief - and you shouldn't have to beg your doctor for them! What is she going to do if you need something stronger?

Good luck and I hope you find something that helps.

20. pookieruth

pookieruth New Member

Many of you have been on this road for a long time, but I am only just beginning the journey. I really appreciate all the replies. It's easy to see pain meds start out low and increase with need. There is certainly no judgement on my part - we all need to do what works.

A part of my confusion comes from not having enough knowledge on fibro, so I spend a lot of time here, learning from all of you.

Today I called and requested xrays of my most painful areas. I want to know if it's arthritis or fibro. I also clarified my med list which is now Mobic, Lyrica and Soma. They took away the Ultram - said to use Mobic instead.

Aqua therapy,tens unit, and ultrasound have all been suggested to me as well. I will follow through with that and see.

Thanks All - May we have a pain free night tonight!
    Lee