Do your pets or other animals help?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wildworld, Nov 14, 2006.

1. wildworld

wildworld New Member

I'm wondering who has pets, and whether you feel the pets are especially helpful in improving your quality of life since you became ill? Or has some other animal, like a horse, been helpful in some way?

I myself have 2 cats and a bunny, and they have been such an important part of making my comparatively isolated life liveable. They keep me company, help my stress level, make me laugh, force me to move around and do chores like clean litter. My days would be far too lonely without them.
  2. Liz919

Liz919 New Member

We have a kitty...Leia. She loves me and cuddles with me. Doesn't nesc. help with the pain but makes me smile so it's worth her room and board. :)
  3. i have a dog.and when i woke up this morning my body was very stiff and painful.i just thought oohhh here we go,its one of those days again.

well i didnt go and sit down straight away,but decided to iron my shirt and jeans,ready for work later this afternoon.

i have to bend down in order to set up my ironig board,its complicated haha.but as i slowly bent down,my spine locked,and i just stayed in that position for a minute,and gently eased myself up.the pain was just horrible.

but out of the corner of my eye,i see my little dog looking at me,he came over to me wagging his tail and licked my hand.bless him.animals can sense our distress and bless them,in their own little way,they try to help ease our burden.

when i come home from my part time job,i get home about 7pm.my dog is the first to great me,and he knows not to treat me roughly bless him.he knows mum is poorly,but he still loves me.i wouldnt be without him.

kind regards
    fran

4. MelaC

MelaC New Member

I truely believe pets make a major differnece in our lives. I have 2 dogs and 2 cats and they are all possessive of me. They follow me all day and snuggle up close. They always know when I am not well or when I have had surgery. They are even my ears as I am deaf so for me yes they make a world of difference. They keep me company and love me unconditionally like I them. I love caring for them, I dont know what I would do without them my life would be very lonely and empty. I am a nurturer by nature and they are just so adoreable.

Mela
  5. Without my two dogs (an 'unusually small, but perfectly healthy") Pug, and a Beagle/Daschund mix, which we effectionately call Eeyore, because she has many issues. (My poor babies! LOL) My pug, basically fell into my lap when I needed her most, about 5-6 months into my illness, I was deathly ill with vomiting, totally bedridden-TOTALLY only got up to use the restroom-husband had to bathe me most of the time, and, well.....Pugs LOVE TO SLEEP! LOL

We were at hubby's co-workers house, picking up a nice grill he no longer wanted, and also he & hubby were going to bowl, as we walked outside, hubby's co-worker said "what the!?" and kicked one of his hunting dogs metal (truck transport) boxes....cuddled up in the corner, by the door frame & garage door, shivering, scared, cold, hungry and injured, was my baby Abby...

The vet said she was around 5-5 1/2 months old, she weighed 8.6lbs, and she'd been hit by a car, presumeably the night before--as a woman had come to this guy's door, and said she thought she'd hit two of his dogs (hubby's coworker) he assured her, all of his dogs are in large pens, they were not his dogs, the woman was upset because the dogs were suffering...... (tears!) hubby's coworker, with it being freezing winter, the middle of the night, and a sleeping 3 yr old, that would've been devastated had she seen two hurt doggies.....well....put them out of their misery, as he already owns 7 dogs (crazy exspensive bloodhounds, etc..)

Anyways, I bet my baby puggy must or might have been running with those other dogs, and later maybe, got hit as well....

We took her home that night, I bathed her, as I did not yet know she was so severely injured, tried to feed her, then realized she couldn't eat, we took her to the vet in the morning, and found out her jaw was broken in 2 places, she'd lost a couple of teeth, and her hip was broken & displaced, and she had road rash on her belly & 'knees"
    She had surgery--the vet even knocked $90 off the bill, because we just rescued her (we wouldn't have cared! about the bills) and, she came home with us, Valentines Day 01' :) She's extremely entertaining, full of personality, has that 'small dog syndrome' where she thinks she is a doberman, & everyone falls in love with her.

Katie, our beagle mix, is a little ball of nerves, bless her heart, we adopted her at about 3 months old from the humane society, the last of 3 siblings....Our dog groomer/trainer feels her panicky nature may be from her litter mates having bullied her, since she's been a "nervous ninny" since day 1.

Love em both to death, and even though it's tough when Katie wants to go out frequently in warm weather "just because" I'd be out of my mind without them, now, over 6 yrs into my illness.

Not to say I don't get down still, but, I can never look over at my two little 'babies' snuggled up & sleeping either with me, or when i'm on the computer, on their doggy bed (complete with what WAS me & hubby's heating blanket! LOL) and not smile..WUV EM 2 PIECES!

They're the ones with me nearly 24/7 they love me with scary hair, love me with ripped flannels, stained shirts, love me sick, love me smelly, (LOL) U N C O N D I T I O N A L love. FOR SURE. (well---feed me & I'll love you) LOL

I'd have a massive Mastiff too, if hubby'd allow it! LOL I love all animals, all sizes,.....would love a cappuchin monkey to help me pick things up, open things, & just to love on! LOL :)

Two's enough for this tiny house, though.

I think since hubby & I can't have kids, too....that our doggies really ARE our 'babies' they by no means replace a human child, but, we're okay with our situation now...90% of the time. (I get sad when our siblings or friends have babies, but, it's a happy for them, sad for us thing, and quickly just turns to just 'happy for them')

6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

my goodness, yes, yes, yes!!!

My old cat Rosie died in April and having lost our two old dogs before that, our house was empty, it was just terrible.

We now have two young kitties, Hamish and Silkie, 10 months old and they keep me and my husband going with their antics, they are so full of mischief, then when they're tired at night, they cuddle up beside us.

I honestly believe that animals improve a person's quality of life especially if they are chronically ill like us.

Rosie
  7. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

My kitty, Beethoven (AKA The Moose) helps quite a bit. If I'm sad, I go pet the kitty and he makes me feel better...even if that requires him biting me. He usually senses mum's distress better than mine, but he still tends to come around when I'm upset. Also my parents don't like to leave me at home by myself, but they often have to go places and I don't feel like going, so he stays by the door and guards me. He makes me feel loved.
  8. LOVED

LOVED New Member

My dogs are so important to me i can't imagine them not being a part of my life. no matter how bad i feel, i can always get a chuckle out of them.

we have an akita/mastiff male, Foster, who is 11 years old, weighs 120 lbs. He is the most gentle dog and a complete couch potato, always willing and eager to take a nap with me.

our second dog is a golden retriever/shepherd, Simon Peter, who is 11 months old, weighs 85lbs. Although his puppyhood just about did me in, he's worth it. he's a real nut who thinks he is completely in charge and head of the pack behind me. if my hubby does something the dog doesn't understand, the dog looks at me to see if i need to discipline my hubby. lol

i think animals are so impt to our well bing; lowering blood pressure, making us laugh, releasing good things into our brains.

yeah for animals!

LOVED
  9. kbak

kbak Member

Hi,
    I'm down to 1 kitty. She's a Maine Coon. She's got immune problems too because she was strayed for a long time. She's very cool!

Right now she looks like a wookie cause she's so fat and furry for winter. I think we're going to have some big cold sometime because she has put on such a heavy coat. We live in WY.

Ya my kitty is a big happy part of my life. I can't imagine a life without an animal to love.

kbak
  10. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

I have two dogs; one beagle and one miniature dachshund. They do help a lot. If I'm feeling particularly bad, they'll lay down with me and try to comfort me. They can tell, and I don't know why but just having them there trying to comfort you helps.
  11. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I live alone so they are company for me and more like my babies.

My dog Jake (a Sheltie) knows when I'm having a panic attack. One night I was having an attack, and Jake jumped up on the bed, put his head on my shoulder, his chest over mine, and his body just lying aside me. Basically, I think he was trying to feel my heart beat with his heart beat. It was very strange, but it did calm me down. Once I calmed down and could breathe again, Jake got off the bed and slept on the floor in the room where he could keep an eye on me.

I also have another Sheltie and two cats. Everyone is telling me that I need to get rid of them so that I can sell this house and rent somewhere. I can't even imagine my life without them. My brother actually had me thinking about it... I would never sleep again knowing that I wasn't there for them, when they've saved my life more than once.
    Hugs,
    Tigger
  12. TKE

TKE New Member

>>>and whether you feel the pets are especially helpful in improving your quality of life since you became ill<<<

Oh sure...my Blue & Gold Macaw just regurgitated down my back & it had spaghetti sauce in it...yep she's is especially helpful, LOL.

I had 8 Toy Poodles. Am down to 4 now. 4 went over the Rainbow Bridge :(. They got old & passed quickly. The 4 I have left are aging too. Youngest is 7, oldest is 13.

3 parrots...African Grey, Umbrella Cockatoo & my wonderful B&G Macaw. B&G Macaw is very bonded to me & won't let anyone else touch her. She helps with dishes, yard work, computer stuff, eats at the table with us, etc. She's got a super silly personallity :).

My poodles snuggle with me. One is like a live teddy bear. She's soft & so cuddly. They keep me warm & love to nap :).

I have no kids of my own so my pets are my kids. Talk about spoiled....my vet wants to come back as a poodle & live with me, LOL.
  13. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

Lets see I have three teenage boys and a husband, and I believe the animals are better at understanding than they are!!

We have 2 dogs (Aussie, Beagle & Bassett mix), 4 cats (2 were rescues), and a recent rescued kitten. (Who by the way keeps the dogs in their place already.) It is just to funny to see this small cat chase the dogs all over the house and then lay down on the couch like he owns the place.

We also have a Parakeet named Mocha and a goldfish (also rescued believe it or not).

They get me moving in the morning, nose on my face saying let me outside. Later it is feed me and let me out again. Cat litters need done everyday, and somebody always wants played with or petted.

They have taught my children compassion, not responsibility, I believe that is a myth. No matter how many animals we have...cat litters and feeding time are still moms job. (they do let them out though). But seeing who gets which critter to sleep with them for the night is always dear to my heart.

When I am feeling sad, or in pain one of my critters are always there for me. Can I say that about my family, not near often enough.

I think I would feel alot more alone in my home if not for them...they give me a laugh and a smile everyday. :)

Take care & Kitten Hugs,
    Blessed Be,
    Laurie
  14. Exfa

Exfa New Member

Like most of the other posts I too totally agree that the animals help us much more than other humans. They have a deep sense of our pain and needs. I had two dogs....one a rescue from the shelter...a min daschund, and I had to put her to sleep this past summer(cancer)...I thought I would die right along with her. I still have my other rescued mutt, very abused as a pup and very nervous, but I love him very much and now that the little daschund is gone he sticks by my side faithfully. He "think" he is protecting me from my 3 cats who have been with me for 16 yrs!! I love them also and they are really getting old and having health problems. I don't have children either and these little furry ones are my "babies". I can't even imagine life without them. So.........my answer is YES..they help a LOT.
  15. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I think maybe some doctors should write prescriptions that we need to have our pets because they are as good for our well being as much as the meds we take.

I'm actually going to ask my doctor to write that one. It seems that some people close to me think I should give my dogs away (keep the cats) and move into an apartment. You have no idea how much I want to throw up just thinking about that. I can't imagine my life without my "boys". We go places and people say, "Tigger and 'the boys' are here"

Yes, people in my real life call me Tigger too. Everyone loves to oooo and ahhhhh over "the boys" because they are so cute and very furry... they're both Shelties and look so entirely different.
    Hugs,
    Tigger
  16. marsupialmama

marsupialmama New Member

I could have a pet or three but there are allergies in the family! Fortunately my kids go riding so we get a regular animal fix at the barn. The horses are lovely and there is barn cat that will come and sit on your lap.

And we get other fixes at friends' houses or going to ag fairs and stuff.

But I miss having a critter in the house! We get a lot of animal videos, even really sappy ones LOL. And I love reading all the animals stories on here and other sites. The "cute overload" website is a daily fix too...
    [This Message was Edited on 11/15/2006]
  17. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

My pets are so important to me I don't know what I would do without them. I have 2 dogs, 2 cats and 2 birds. Unfortunately if I lived alone I would not be able to handle all of these pets.
    My pets help me in many ways, keep me company, make me laugh, love me...and more.

I believe Puppies (or any pet) are the best medicine!!
  18. GwenGlo

GwenGlo New Member

In a weak moment in July I bought a puppy from a farmer.

Training him this summer was a killer at times because of the days I almost couldn't function.

He is now almost 6 months old and I'm learning what a wonderful companion a pet can be.

Two weeks ago I had a major Herx reaction after the shots I received at the FFC.

For 4 days I was almost incapacitated and was in bed most of the time. My little dog just lay on his back beside me as I slept for hours. I could tell sometimes he wasn't sleeping because his little legs were waving in the air.

He is a Jack Russell/Poodle mix and is quite capable of bouncing off the walls. But I could tell that he sensed that something was wrong and just kept close to me.

It more than made up for the time I spent this summer trying to train him.

Gwen
  19. Gothbubbles

Gothbubbles New Member

I got a cat by accident--she literally followed me home one day!

She's a little hoodlum, and I'm sure she only loves me because I feed her lol, but she makes me feel less lonely.

I have friends who help me take care of her, I've been so sick lately I don't even have the energy to feed her or deal with her litter. I feel bad about that, and it's the reason I didn't buy a pet deliberately.

She's my little baby mew.
  20. browneyelady48

browneyelady48 New Member

I am an animal lover but when my maltice past away of old age 4 years ago, I just couldnt make the committment again until this year. And we now have a beagle puppy and a chilhua puppy and they but are so precious and make my days so much better. They both lay with me and follow me and love me unconditional. Love Brenda