Doc and hubby pushing exercise help explain please?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by vmiller, Jun 3, 2008.

1. vmiller

vmiller New Member

I know that you all have heard it before - exercise and you'll feel better - get better. How do you explain to someone who has never HAD FM how you feel? I tried walking four blocks the other day and was at the point of tears upon returning home because my back, hips, and legs hurt SO badly. I know my husband has only the best of intentions for me, and I know he loves me - I just need him to understand why exercise isn't the solution and could possibly even make it worse.

If you can help me find the words, I would appreciate it. Would you share your experiences in this area?
  2. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

I wanted to slap my rheumy doc when he told me if I exercised I'd feel better!

But, I have to say from my own experience...exercise DOES help my FM and increases my mobility. I started it one day that I felt pretty good and that's all I needed.

For me, stretching is the most important thing I can do for myself. Maybe you should start with ONE block and increase your exercise as you are able. You need to go at YOUR pace and increase a little at a time.

It takes time to feel the positive effects of stretching and exercise, but it IS worth it!! And do it every day, no matter how you feel...even if it's walking to the mail box and back on a bad day, do it... and trust me....I KNOW how you feel!

I haven't been able to do much of anything for 4 years because of being in school, but that is one of my goals in the next two weeks...I need to get out an walk again every day! I will start with 10-15 minutes and go from there.

We are not athletes and we don't need to do what anyone else is doing. We do what we can everyday.

I truly wish you the best and let us know how it's going!!
  3. vmiller

vmiller New Member

Thanks C-mom. If it helps, I will do it but I've heard so many others say it makes things worse.

I will try anything to be able to get my life back.
  4. vmiller

vmiller New Member

Thanks for sending that. I know my husband understands what it is to have a disability - he's been blind since birth. He is very supportive and only wants the best for me, but he doesn't understand the fatigue based illness.

Thanks again.
  5. UsedtobePerkyTina

UsedtobePerkyTina New Member

Tell him, if you have CFS, that you have a compromised immune system which allows viruses and bacteria and yeast thrive. So the immune system has a bigger fight with one hand tied behind its back. So exercise is another demand that your body can't handle. Say, "Just like a person who has the flu, or any virus, is told to get plenty of rest and drink lots of fluids." Since your body is constantly fighting a battle against viruses and is weak in doing so, rest and less demand on the body is necessary to healing.

Explain that you understand that you don't need to develop atrophy. So, you will continue to use your body as you can without putting a demand on your body that will make you worse.

And remember this, he is wanting to "fix" you. Husbands connect their value to their family in their ability to produce, to fix things, to solve problems.

So, if there is something you can give him to do to fix, solve or produce that will help you with your illness, you will empower him to be the kind of husband he feels he needs to be. Without being able to fix it, he is telling you how to fix it which means he found the solution. You know the way we women have to do.

[This Message was Edited on 06/05/2008]
  6. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

7. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member have an excellent point too!!!
  8. vmiller

vmiller New Member

Thanks, Tina. I had not thought about it from that perspective. You worded things just right.
  9. kittycamcj

kittycamcj New Member

we have a two story house. i can't believe how many times i have to go up and down stairs everyday. that's exercise.
  10. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I know what you are talking about.

There are times I just can not exercise.

Do you get, "On Demand" with your cable?

There are several workout programs,from yoga to pilates, that you can access anytime and not pay.

I am thinking I found it under Discovery on Demand.

I will look to see if this is the channel. If not I will change this.

There is also an exercise channel but that is a premium channel.

I like it as I can stop anytime and can be in my comfy jammies!!