Doc gave me Cymbalta, need advise please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Jun 7, 2006.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Okay, I know there has been alot written on Cymbalta here, I just don't have time to research right now (sorry).

Any testimony will be appreciated. I was at the rhuemy this morning and told him I had been exhausted lately. He asked me about my pain which I told him was moderate and he prescribed Cymbalta and blood tests for thyroid and B12 and something else I cannot remember!

Thanks! Sometimes I think he hears the word pain and tunes out about the fatigue. He gave me 3 weeks worth of samples, 30mg to start, then 60mg for the next 2 weeks and a script.

He said I should know in a month if it is going to help.

Sonya
    [This Message was Edited on 06/07/2006]
  2. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I have been on it for a yr now.I think its fantastic.

Cymbalta 120mg one time a day.And I also take nueontrin 1800mg.600 3 ties a day.That combo has gotten me out of bed.I was bed ridden for 2 yrs before those 2 meds.

Take care
    Sue
  3. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Pain or fatigue?

I am not in pain, I am exhausted!

Thanks
  4. Treca

Treca New Member

worked for me, but every single time I took it I had a severe headache like I couldn't believe. The headache would last until the Cymbalta was out of my system.

Let me just put it this way. The headaches where so bad I couldn't take care of my son and I was bedridden.

I hope that Cymbalta will work for you because I know a lot of the members here take it and have had GREAT results.

I'm afraid I'm one of the few that just couldn't take it.

Good luck to you.

Treca:)
  5. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Did you take it for pain or sleep?
  6. Treca

Treca New Member

It was taken to see if it would help with the pain.
  7. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I don't get it. He seems to be hung up on the pain thing, which I told him was not that bad. I am exhausted, that is my trouble! Oh, well, I will try. Thanks again

Sonya
  8. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

One year now and no problems at all. it is a fairly low dose. I think ti is supposed to help overall symptoms. Good Luck it is worth a try. Lynn
  9. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

The samples were free, so it can't hurt to try. I don't think I will fill the script without more input as to why he is giving me this when I said I was exhausted.

Sonya
  10. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Suggest to your doctor that you get symptomatic treatment for your fatigue.

Adderall, Ritalin and ProVigil are all drugs that have helped many people here combat the fatigue.

I take 10 mg Adderall first thing in the am, 10 mg at lunchtime and 10 mg at about 3:30 pm - it keeps me awake and allows me to function and work full time.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  11. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Maybe I am having the placebo effect but I feel pretty good right now, but the day is young! Or maybe I am just having a good morning and would have anyway.

I am thankful that it did not give me a headache like someone mentioned but I was awake more last night, which is odd.

He did mention provigil so maybe if the Cymbalta is a no go, he will consider that. He did not say so, but it is logical to think that since he did blood tests that he might want to wait and see what those show before he gives me anything for fatigue.

In my last round of blood tests at the PCP when I was dx (2 yrs ago in March) there was no thyroid test, but I remember having one a few months before that when I went in for being so tired.

The PCP tested my thyroid then and we both thought it was depression and I started on St John's Wort.

I will see what happens.

Thanks again,
    Sonya
  12. 1horse

1horse New Member

Its great.
  13. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

lvjesus,
    Cymbalta is an antdepressant medication. As a side effect, it was found to help with the pain of FM. I wonder if your doc thinks you may be a bit depressed?

It's a good thing that he's checking your thyroid and B-12 levels, which can also cause fatigue. But, the bottom line is that one of the biggest symptoms of FM is - fatigue. I don't know of anyone who's take a pill to cure that.