Doc in Hendersonville TN

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Vanderbilt, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Vanderbilt

Vanderbilt New Member

I have been seeing Dr Michael Bernui in Hendersonville TN. For over a year now he has been treating me for CFS.

I am getting better, after being sick with cfs for over 14 years.

I have gone from feeling drained 24 hours a day to having at least 4-6 hours a day of being able to funcion fairly normal.

Some days I am able to go go 8-10 hours without feeling like I MUST lie down.

Big improvement.

Dr Bernui is very up to date on CFS, and is easy to talk with.

I travel 5 hours to see him.....he was recommended to me by David Berg, Pathologist.

Good Luck to you.

2. hensue

hensue New Member

I would travel that far also to get those results. Can you share some of the things he does to get you better?

3. greatgran

greatgran Member

Yes, would you please share some of your symptoms and what meds, treatments etc. he has helped you with..

I am so far away but if there was hope/help, I like hensue would try the trip.. I use to live in Nashville.. graduated from high school there..

We are all different but please share some test, treatments etc...

4. turquoise

turquoise Member

I can't believe someone is posting on him today! I am seriously trying to see if he will take me as a primary care patient, but have been a little reluctant since I don't know anyone who has actually used him. I meet the criteria for CFS and Fibro., but my overwheming problem is multiple chemical sensitivity. I have had experiences in the past with integrative Drs., who treat CFS, etc., but fail to "get" how extremely sensitive to treatment of ANY KIND, even the "natural" stuff that people with severe MCS are. My main question would be , how CAREFUL is he? Will he work with you on an alternative program you would like to try (as long as it seems within reason to him, of course), or is he pretty set on his "pet" therapies, as so often seems to be the case.

I have been impressed with what I have seen on his website, and with a presentation he did with some other people on autism on a PBS station in my area. Since I have been without a primary care dr. for ages, and have been letting ALL the routine stuff go, I have to do something fairly soon. I live about 2 hrs. east of Hendersonville.

I know he doesn't take insurance. How long did you have to wait for an initial appt., and is it usually 3 hours long as I have heard. Thanks for any info. you can give!
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

So glad to see your post as my most disabling problem is MCS and nothing I have tried helps.. I am miserable most of the time.. Like, sinus, allergy etc. Have you tried anything that gives you relief?

6. turquoise

turquoise Member

I've tried a multitude of things over the years . Some of them have helped for awhile, some had no effect, and some made the situation worse. Avoidance, unfortunately seems to be about the only thing that everyone agrees is of benefit. I have more of the vestibular and central nervous system symptoms than the classic allergy ones anymore, although I do have some of those also. My MAIN goal at this point is just to try to stablilize the situation and keep from getting WORSE as I have seemed to have done since hitting menopause several years ago. Of course, improvements are always the goal if we can get them!

For what it's worth the Ziem/Paul Protocol looks to be the most promising for improvement in all these disorders than anything I have come across yet. It does need to be tailored to each person though IMHO. If anyone is on it , would welcome comment.
  7. turquoise

turquoise Member

8. Wireless

Wireless New Member

I would also like to know more about him, I heard of him a year or two ago, and it's a lot of money and travel, but I thought about at least going for the initial visit.

The pricing is on his site. I think it's a good price considering the amount of time he spends, but it's still a lot since I need to be spending on supplements, and with the same money I could see local docs (if they take my insurance) about 15 times.

I heard he spends a lot of time on nutrition and other basics which I worry about a little. It would waste time IMO because they want me to take all these vitamins and things and see how it does for me. I know vitamins and things help but it's not what I'm after. I have MCS issues too. I would probably like him if I could afford to keep going back.

He is DO not MD and DO are usually better for us I guess. is his site
    He has great reviews on
  9. turquoise

turquoise Member

My only concerns would be about the same as yours. I am one of those people who cannot tolerate having a bunch of supplements "thrown" at me at once as I tend to react to EVERYTHING. I need to try one thing at a time at about 1/4 the starting dose until I know how it is going to go. Am especially not interested in I.V. nutients. I have my own list of priorities that I want to focus on.
    Honestly, I think the only way I am going to know if it is going to be a good "fit" is to book an introductory appt. to go in and talk to him. Unfortunately, in this state, from all I have been able to gather, I think he is likely as "good as it gets" in most respects.