Doc in South Dakota

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wuki1, May 3, 2006.

1. wuki1

wuki1 New Member

I have looked on all the sites that post good fibro docs. Nothing on South Dakota. Does anyone have any suggestions?? The rheumatologist I saw does not want to perscribe muscle relaxers for me - wanted to send me home with stretching exercises - gee, I never would have thought of that (sarcastic). What a moron!

Heat helps and so does massage and chiropractic but 20 mins after each is done my muscles spring back into their tense positions. I've tried the calcium/magnesium supplements, malic acid and do the shake every morning. Help!
    Kim
  2. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

the doctor link at the top of this page? I sure hope you find someone. It can be a lifesaver to find the right doc.

God Bless.
  3. ronter7

ronter7 New Member

guess i dont have an answer for you, cuz i'm in the same boat. living in these small states sure doesnt help when trying to find a doc. just wanted to introduce myself as a fellow south dakotan, where do you live? i'm near mitchell. i havent had any luck with one that knows anything of fibro. good luck in your search! ronda
  4. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

i looked on Jacob Teitelbaum's list of good docs. This doc hasn't taken his workshops, but must follow some of his protocols. his name is Dennis R. Wicks, MD, and he is in Custer, telephone # 605-673-2689. best wishes. jen102
  5. wuki1

wuki1 New Member

Thanks for the info Jen. Unfortunately Custer is across the state from me (about 6 hours) but I am getting desparate.

Ronda- I have been living in Sioux Falls for the last 7 years. Before that, North Dakota. Nice to see someone in my area here. I am very unhappy with the rheumatologist I saw here. He told me if I came in saying "I know I have fibro - you just have to tell me that I do" , he would tell me yes. If I came in saying "whatever you do, just don't tell me I have fibro", he would tell me I did not have it. What the heck kind of answer is that?

I did get the name of a doc in Fargo ND off one of the lists. Dr. Scot Turner - he is an advocate of guaifen (sp?)
    May have to take a trip up there pretty soon. At least I could visit some old friends while there.
    Kim
  6. pywacket

pywacket New Member

there is a james carpeter at merit care in fargo. I have seen him for afew years. sorry don't know any in SD
    lisa
  7. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Is that far from you? Anyway, I have met him...his name is Dr. Rocky Steinert. He has recovered from CFIDS himself, so he knows about that. He is trying some innovative hydrotherapy and works a lot with nutrition and supplements. We may go on a trip this summer and see him for our son. He's not a rheumy- he's listed as a nutritional consultant and counselor. But I think he'd be worth a try...good luck!
  8. wuki1

wuki1 New Member

I may have to check into that- thanks!!