doc replaced percocet with

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gymmbabe, Aug 7, 2006.

1. gymmbabe

gymmbabe New Member

pain patches. Have any of you tried them? Percocet works so well for me..however, my doctor wants me to try and live narcotic free! I am in an awful flare right now. I had an awful nightmare and woke up feeling like someone beat me with a stick and then ran over me with a truck.

any info on the pain patch would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Dawn
  2. blessedmom2four

blessedmom2four New Member

how long have you been on the percocet? and he didnt wean you off?
  3. dutchieU

dutchieU New Member

I can help you but need to know if they are duragesic or fentynel.
    There is one "topical formula" patch with numbing med in them that are useless but....

Duragesic and Fentynel is a narcodic and more effective than percodan. It is a higher rated narcodic than percodan or percocette and only so many can be perscribed per month to each pharmacy by law. Know what you are talking about..just which were you given?[This Message was Edited on 08/07/2006]
  4. sandyblue

sandyblue New Member

tell them that the patches make you red, sore, itchy and gives you a rash because that is all they are good for.
  5. gymmbabe

gymmbabe New Member

I have been taking percocet for severe pain for about 6 months. It's not an everyday thing--no need to wean off of them. I use Ultram for the everyday aches and pains...but during the severe flares, the ultram does nothing. I work full-time and use the percocet to get through the tough days.

I'm just wondering how the patches compare to percocet?? Can they even be compared??

Dawn
  6. gymmbabe

gymmbabe New Member

They are called Lidoderm patches. Lidocaine Patch 5%.

Do you know anything about them??

Dawn
  7. dutchieU

dutchieU New Member

NOt by a long shot. I have degenerative bone disease along with everything else with titanium down half my spine with more surgery to come. I can tell you the patches WORK! I have been the closest to pain free over percodan that you will raise a resistance to over time. The patches are put on your arm every three days....pain or no pain and replaced again every 3 days without fail. Percodan is as you think you need. The patches get into blood stream via pores fast and keeps pumping meds in you for straight three days. I have never regretted being on the patch and now I take percodan on days when my pain is acute and the combination works very well! (I've been doin this for years..over 10)
  8. dutchieU

dutchieU New Member

Lido is for "topical type pain" say if you had a muscle pull, it could help but it's the same med as you get your gums numbed at the dentist office. The other patches I mentioned....are just like other narcodics you might take.

He wants to do this why?? For what type of pain??
  9. gymmbabe

gymmbabe New Member

I'm not sure we are talking about the same kind of patch. Mine are 10 cm x 14 cm and I place them where the pain is the most severe. For me, its my neck and back. I can wear up to 3 patches a day. I'm supposed to wear them for 12 hours and take them off for 12 hours.

I hope they work. I don't want to become dependent on narcotics for pain relief.

Thanks all for the replies!! It's so nice to have someone to bounce ideas off of and not sound CRAZY!

{{hugs}}

Dawn
  10. lightnerbride

lightnerbride New Member

I have used pain patches for about three years now but I am confused because they are still a controlled substance and actual Opiod and most docs hate to give them and/or Oxycodone much more than vicodan or percocet. What is your dosage (FYI fentanyl and duragesic are the same, just generic versus non-generic) I started on 25mcg and I am on 75mcg now, could use stronger but just don't want to end up down that road any further than I am. I use vicodan for break-through pain. The percocet always made me sick to my stomach and wasn't strong enough anyway.
    The patches can be a pain as far as causing rashes, trouble sticking and then sticking too much. If you can get your pharmacy to order the Mylan brand (it's a generic brand so your insurance or pocket book should be happy with that) they are about half the size as other patches and the entire thing is sticky and I don't breakout from the adhesive on this brand and I've been on various brands.
    If I have trouble with this brand sticking (rarely but summer water activities sometime makes it difficult) I found Nexcare bandages Waterproof clear knee & elbow size give plenty of coverage and stay on better than most bandages or tapes.
    Good luck with your patches. I'd been happy to discuss them further with you.
    A
    [This Message was Edited on 08/07/2006]
  11. dutchieU

dutchieU New Member

The two patches I mentioned are for round the clock maintenience of severe pain but not for acute pain. Meaning..you would still need a oral narcodic for flare ups that might get over while on the patch (rarely happens).

I know a few on those lidocaine patches but their pain was very low level and superficial.
  12. dutchieU

dutchieU New Member

Yes I mentioned both so that if she had one or other...we would know. I am taking 125 mcg every 3 days. My pharmacy told me he has one client that uses over 600mcg in patches! That flipped me out! I would say..depending on why that doc is changing something that clearly is not broke....she might need to find a doc that is not scared of perscribing meds she needs maintained. Oh and I am with you on the generic brand..same for me in symptoms and smaller too. Still my pharm bill every month is 1300.00 and now my husband's insurance is goin to required 2600 cash paid before they will cover any rx!
    [This Message was Edited on 08/07/2006]
  13. dutchieU

dutchieU New Member

Or ...just scare you off?? :(
  14. gymmbabe

gymmbabe New Member

I am going to give the Lidoderm patches a try. I'm not sure how these are going to help unless I cover my whole back, left leg and arm with them during a flare. From the way I am understanding all of you...these patches may help with my superficial achy pains I have every day. But the agonizing pain during a flare will definately need something stronger.

I will try them and if they don't work..I'll end up on my docs doorstep! Luckily, my hubby is active duty Army and the meds don't cost me much (if anything). If I would have had to pay out-of-pocket for the patches it would have costed over $400.00! YIKES.

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.

Dawn
  15. dutchieU

dutchieU New Member

too true! For my patches, it's 12,000. Not cheap!

Goodluck with trying those, it's always a good idea to at least try but if they don't work...he will have to go onto something else.
  16. Bambi

Bambi New Member

is STRICTLY for localized pain, like was said, for a sprain or maybe for Arthritis pain in an elbow or joint. It is NOT for all over body pain. When he prescribes them I get 30 in a package and I cut them to fit the need. They would be USELESS for my all over body severe pain.

The Durgesic patches are Fentenyl and they are similar to Morphine. My daughter uses them with immediate relief morphine for break through pain. She does well with them.

It was one of the first things they tried for my severe pain. For about 8 hours I thought I'd been CURED of the FM pain..not my only source of pain. But at just about exactly 8 hours I started projectile vommiting and had to get them off at once. I am severely allergic to them.

To compensate for the patches tearing when put on, the cause of some people getting too much in their systems, the pain doctor gives her surgical tape to put them on with, so she doesn't get the redness or allergic reactions to the glue they come with.

The Lidoderm helps my Arthritis pain when it's acting up in my one finger, my wrists or shoulders, but would be absolutely useless for the head to toe pain I have from FM. Your doc has decided to try and stop prescribing narcotics for
    you, I'd ask him why..if you need them to
    control your pain levels.

He KNOWS the patches you have are not for all over body pain and that they will not work for overall FM pain. I'd have a real heart to heart with him/her about it.
  17. blessedmom2four

blessedmom2four New Member

they did nothing at all, i still have tons left. i think people thought you were on a patch that releases pain meds into your systom.

i hope they work for you but dont be disapointed if they do nothing, comared to the percocet. sorry to sound like a bummer.

if anyone elsen did good on the lidocain patch, please help dawn
  18. gymmbabe

gymmbabe New Member

well....unless I plan on putting patches all over my body, these are NOT going to work. I'm sooo frustrated. I guess it's back to the doc for me.

Thanks to everyone!

Dawn
  19. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

What would we do without insurance?!?!?

My Maxalt would cost more than $20 each! I pay $20 for 9!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  20. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I think many people here are confused as to what you are on.

Lidoderm patches are not narcotic. They are not even close to Fentanyl patches. Lidoderm has lidocane and it just helps to numb one area. Fentanyl on the other had is an opiate and is absorbed through your skin.

Fentaynl is synthetic morphine. I was on them for awhile. They are very potent for some people.

Why your doctor would give you lidoderm patches is beyond me.
    I hope that you can explain to him that you need something more than that and he will understand.

Hugs,
    Stephanie