Doc Thinks I may be Diabetic too.......Oh Boy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hugs4evry1, Dec 8, 2006.

1. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I wonder if we get a prize for having enough things wrong with us that we become members of so many of the boards here? That's one thing I don't want to win!!

So I'll have the bloodwork done next week but all the signs point to the obvious, it probably is diabetes.

Another reminder NOT to ignore new symptoms....numbness and tingling in my arms and face. Had a few episodes that lasted for as long as 5 minutes then I feel incredibly crappy afterwards.

Weight......again, don't eat enough to suggest that I should be 25 pounds over what I should be.

Dizzyness, vertigo, exhaustion.....even bought a folding cane for my purse for when it happens and I'm not home.

Also had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with my daughter.

Strong family history...Mom and Grandfather (her father) both had diabetes.

I didn't even know until this morning that we had a diabetics board here too.....

Happy Holiday Hugs,

Nancy B

2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

3. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I'm sorry Nancy to hear that you're going through all this.

I also have diabetes. It's well-controlled now through medication & diet but it is one more health concern that has meant one more adjustment to my lifestyle.

Although it is a shock to the system (to realize you have diabetes) it is good thing to have it diagnosed as early as possible so that you can, through treatment, diet & exercise, limit the damage it may create.

Please keep us posted and know that you're in my thoughts & prayers.

God bless,
    Theresa
  4. caffey

caffey New Member

I landed in er at 9pm on Christmas Eve last year. I had been in every day during the week with a kidney infection. I was peeing all the time. They did b/w that night and it was throug h the ceiling. I am now type 2 from the prednisone. Also it may sound silly but for a couple of weeks before my cat was really restless and clingy.
    Cath
  5. mrpain

mrpain New Member

I'm going to see a foot doctor next week because of brusing under my big toenail for no real reason. I have other symptoms too which they told me on the phone that it could be diabetes....Runs in the family also.

I hope for the both of us that it turns out to be negative..Take care!
  6. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I think it's probably going to be a positive test for me, I just had another episode this morning, with my first sip of coffee.

My hands and arms go numb, it goes up to include my face, but this time I had hubby go grab me some grapes and this is the fastest it's gotten better. I still feel a bit funny and numb...but it's better.

This messes with my Thyroid med, I'm supposed to take it on an empty stomach and not eat for an hour.

I had a naughty snack last night in bed. Fritos...the bar-b-q kind and I have noticed lately that I feel worse when I have a snack like that verses a small amount of almonds.

Doc thinks it's a diabetic shock....

I sure wish Santa would stop bringing me a new disease for Christmas each year!!!

I'm going to have hubby drive me in for my bloodwork tomorrow morning, might as well get it done.....

Happy Holiday Hugs,

Nancy B
  7. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

And I'm pre-diabetic. My sugar reading was 116 and 126 is diabetes.

I go today to pick up my lancet stuff and strips to start checking my blood sugar 3 times a day. The nurses will teach me how to do it.

Hugs all,

Nancy B
  8. PianoGirl

PianoGirl New Member

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems that may indicate diabetes.

I have been diabetic for three years, and it runs rampant in my family, both my parents were severely diabetic, and both my brothers and sister are as well.

Please check your blood sugar religiously. Don't "forget" about it. This can be a very scary and rough disease. Low blood sugar can be as bad as high. If at all possible, try to get into an endocrynology center because they are so well equipped and informative about diabetes.

Keep us posted as to how things are going. It will be tough at first but you will be able to get thru it.

Lis
  9. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I went to the clinic today and they gave me my kit to check my blood sugar. My very first one was only 52 and yes, I felt crappy but that's almost my normal.

This is really beginning to make some sense to me. No wonder I almost fall over when I'm out and about.

I'll try it out one more time tonight to make sure I remember how they taught me, let hubby doodle with the little gadget and do my settings for me and we'll see how it goes.

Now I just need to rest a bit.

Another timely reminder to never ignore symptoms!!!

Happy Holiday Hugs,

Nancy B
  10. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

This is interesting to me. My doc said I was insulin resistant from the last test they did but I didn't get a kit.

I thought my sugar was 160. Maybe I'm wrong. Now I want to check it out.

Sofi